Tota

SPOUSE VISA VS FIANCE VISA

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm lost. Confused. Nearly hopeless. This middle east unrest has gotten me sick.

I see that most people follow through with the k1 visa. Yet i talk to this lady who helps fill out forms for visas & she recommends me to go with the spouse visa. WHYYYY? IT SEEMS SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT? Then i spoke to a lawyer, just to see his point of view. ( i didnt pay anything ) and he says spouse visa is guaranteed usually.. it just all depends on how much you want to pay or how much time u want to save?

Then i look at the plus' and minus' here for each visa and compare. It just winds up being about the same thing really.. youre on the same boat really right?

My fiance is in egypt and he wants to get married in egypt. he has his family and friends there and he'd really like to fufill that dream wedding of his. Me on the other hand, I see that most ppl go through the k1 visa route. Which im more towards. I just need some feedback here. I almost want someone to make the decicion for me!

:crying:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This was emailed me to me regarding Fiance(e) and Spousal Visa. This is from Fiance Visa Services.

I hope it'll help you decide. :)

K1 Fiancee Visa Timeline:

0 week: Couple submit I-129F Petition Package to USCIS

+1-2 weeks: USCIS confirms receipt of Petition

+12-24 weeks: USCIS approves case and passes it on to NVC

+1-2 weeks: NVC confirms case has been sent to US consulate in her country

+1-2 weeks: US consulate receives case

+4-12 weeks: Fiancee has medical + consulate interview

(brings to consulate second package of documents and evidences)

+1-2 weeks: Passport is returned to Fiancee with K1 Visa attached

AVERAGE TIME: 6-8 months, from submission to receipt of visa

Costs:

$340 Fiancee visa filing fee, attached to I-129F petition

$200 Medical exam fee, just prior to the interview at the consulate

$240 Visa application fee, prior to interview at the consulate

$100 Medical exam fee, to verify innoculations, conducted in USA

$1,070 Green Card application fee

Total: $1,950 thru to Permanent Residency

The CR-1 Spousal visa is a visa for permanent immigration to the USA. It is valid for 6 months,and allows the holder to enter the USA, in order to reside here permanently. Permanent residence is already approved, and no ajustment of status is needed. The visa holder gets her green card after a few simple formalities.

CR1 Spousal Visa Timeline:

0 week: Couple submit I-130 Petition Package to USCIS

+12-24 weeks: USCIS approves case

+3-6 weeks: NVC requests foreign spouse choose her "Agent" in USA

+1-2 weeks: NVC requests Sponsor to pay online $80, Affidavit of Support Fee

+2-6 weeks: NVC requests Sponsor to pay online $230, visa application fee

+0 weeks: After Sponsor pays fees, he submits Package of Civil documents to NVC, including his Affidavit of Support

+3-6 weeks: NVC confirms all needed documents have been verified

+0: NVC schedules appointment at US consulate, or advises that US consulate will contact foreign spouse directly

+4-12 weeks: Foreign Spouse has medical + consulate interview (brings to consulate final package of documents and evidences)

AVERAGE TIME: 10-14 months, from submission to receipt of visa

Costs:

$420 Spousal visa filing fee, when you originally apply to USCIS

$80 Affidavit of Support Fee, paid to Department of State (National Visa Center), about 7 months

$230 Visa application fee, paid to Department of State (National Visa Center), about 8 months

$200 medical exam fee, just prior to your interview at the consulate

Total: $930 thru to Permanent Residency

Comparison

A. The proof that you have a "bone fide" relationship is the same.

See how to prove your relationship is bone fide:

http://fianceevisaservices.com/youtubegenuinerelationship.html

B. Spousal Visa takes at about 6 months longer

C. Paperwork: Fiancee Visa: 2 document submissions, Spousal Visa: 3 document submissions.

D. Minimum Income Eligibility is $18,913 annual income for Spouse versus $15,130 for Fiancee

K1 Fiancee Visa

Pro: You can apply as soon as you have met 'face to face'

Con: If your income is below the minimum, and you need a joint-sponsor, check with the consulate first, as

some consulates DO NOT permit use of a financial joint-sponsor

CR1 Spousal Visa

Pro: Green card is included, you save about $1,000 in fees.

Pro: If you do not meet financial eligibility: Use of a financial joint-sponsor is always allowed

Pro: Her family attends wedding

Con: You must marry first before submitting.

Con: Takes about 6 months longer

Con: Three sets of documents to prepare

07-30-12: Mailed I129F
08-02-12: Mail received at Dallas Lockbox
08-02-12: NOA1 Notice Date
08-07-12: TOUCHED
08-10-12: Received NOA1 hardcopy
04-24-13: Alien Registration Number and NOA2 Notice Date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

if you are not sure you want to marry this man why get married? Have you even met him in real life? either way you must get married...on a k1 visa the requirement is that you get married within 90 days of his entry into the US

Timeline

For us, a fiance visa wasn't practical as we'd have to live apart until we were married here. Plus I didn't want to bother with extra paper work and costs.

He got a tourist visa. He came here to meet me, and we did the Nikah (Islamic marriage contract) with just a few people for the process. He went home and we filed the first part of the CR1/spouse called I130. We plan to have me visit Egypt and do the big wedding/ceremony there-- we want it small, but I have a feeling my Egyptian mother is going to do it up royally. D: I am nervous. :ot2:

I guess its individual :) What works for you and your situation-- Money, time, etc

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

Timeline

This is very helpful! now to save time or money.. hmmm...

This was emailed me to me regarding Fiance(e) and Spousal Visa. This is from Fiance Visa Services.

0 week: Couple submit I-129F Petition Package to USCIS

+12-24 weeks: USCIS approves case and passes it on to NVC

+1-2 weeks: NVC confirms case has been sent to US consulate in her country

+1-2 weeks: US consulate receives case

+4-12 weeks: Fiancee has medical + consulate interview

(brings to consulate second package of documents and evidences)

AVERAGE TIME: 6-8 months, from submission to receipt of visa

Costs:

$340 Fiancee visa filing fee, attached to I-129F petition

$200 Medical exam fee, just prior to the interview at the consulate

$240 Visa application fee, prior to interview at the consulate

$100 Medical exam fee, to verify innoculations, conducted in USA

$1,070 Green Card application fee

Total: $1,950 thru to Permanent Residency

The CR-1 Spousal visa is a visa for permanent immigration to the USA. It is valid for 6 months,and allows the holder to enter the USA, in order to reside here permanently. Permanent residence is already approved, and no ajustment of status is needed. The visa holder gets her green card after a few simple formalities.

CR1 Spousal Visa Timeline:

0 week: Couple submit I-130 Petition Package to USCIS

+12-24 weeks: USCIS approves case

+3-6 weeks: NVC requests foreign spouse choose her "Agent" in USA

+1-2 weeks: NVC requests Sponsor to pay online $80, Affidavit of Support Fee

+2-6 weeks: NVC requests Sponsor to pay online $230, visa application fee

+0 weeks: After Sponsor pays fees, he submits Package of Civil documents to NVC, including his Affidavit of Support

+3-6 weeks: NVC confirms all needed documents have been verified

+0: NVC schedules appointment at US consulate, or advises that US consulate will contact foreign spouse directly

+4-12 weeks: Foreign Spouse has medical + consulate interview (brings to consulate final package of documents and evidences)

AVERAGE TIME: 10-14 months, from submission to receipt of visa

Costs:

$420 Spousal visa filing fee, when you originally apply to USCIS

$80 Affidavit of Support Fee, paid to Department of State (National Visa Center), about 7 months

$230 Visa application fee, paid to Department of State (National Visa Center), about 8 months

$200 medical exam fee, just prior to your interview at the consulate

Total: $930 thru to Permanent Residency

Comparison

A. The proof that you have a "bone fide" relationship is the same.

See how to prove your relationship is bone fide:

http://fianceevisaservices.com/youtubegenuinerelationship.html

B. Spousal Visa takes at about 6 months longer

C. Paperwork: Fiancee Visa: 2 document submissions, Spousal Visa: 3 document submissions.

D. Minimum Income Eligibility is $18,913 annual income for Spouse versus $15,130 for Fiancee

K1 Fiancee Visa

Pro: You can apply as soon as you have met 'face to face'

Con: If your income is below the minimum, and you need a joint-sponsor, check with the consulate first, as

some consulates DO NOT permit use of a financial joint-sponsor

CR1 Spousal Visa

Pro: Green card is included, you save about $1,000 in fees.

Pro: If you do not meet financial eligibility: Use of a financial joint-sponsor is always allowed

Pro: Her family attends wedding

Con: You must marry first before submitting.

Con: Takes about 6 months longer

Con: Three sets of documents to prepare

Timeline

i see. but it is diffuclt to get a tourst visa isnt it? a lot of requirements from his side i believe..?

For us, a fiance visa wasn't practical as we'd have to live apart until we were married here. Plus I didn't want to bother with extra paper work and costs.

He got a tourist visa. He came here to meet me, and we did the Nikah (Islamic marriage contract) with just a few people for the process. He went home and we filed the first part of the CR1/spouse called I130. We plan to have me visit Egypt and do the big wedding/ceremony there-- we want it small, but I have a feeling my Egyptian mother is going to do it up royally. D: I am nervous. :ot2:

I guess its individual :) What works for you and your situation-- Money, time, etc

that is what im extremely nervous about. lol. the big wedding. i come from a middle eastern background already but still, my entire family wont be able to fly to egypt. only one member and some friends are willing to.

i see. but it is diffuclt to get a tourst visa isnt it? a lot of requirements from his side i believe..?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Both visas take time and money. Lately, it seems, both visas take a similar amount of time to process. So is it more about having your family present for the wedding or is it more important to be married? If you marry there, his family would be present. If you marry here, your family would be present but, most likely, none of his family would be able to be present. So which is more fair? Your family could go to Egypt pretty easily, his family is going to have a tough time acquiring tourist visas. Could you marry there then have another celebration here when he gets here? Could your immediate family go to Egypt when you marry? Can you convince your fiance that it's not important that his family is present for your wedding? Those are some possible options. As stated above, you're going to spend time (most likely 9-12+ months) on either visa. You're going to spend money whether up front for a spousal or eventually when you adjust status for the k1. Personally, i'd rather pay up,,front, get that 2 yr GC and not have to worry about adjusting status shortly after his arrival.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

Both visas take time and money. Lately, it seems, both visas take a similar amount of time to process. So is it more about having your family present for the wedding or is it more important to be married? If you marry there, his family would be present. If you marry here, your family would be present but, most likely, none of his family would be able to be present. So which is more fair? Your family could go to Egypt pretty easily, his family is going to have a tough time acquiring tourist visas. Could you marry there then have another celebration here when he gets here? Could your immediate family go to Egypt when you marry? Can you convince your fiance that it's not important that his family is present for your wedding? Those are some possible options. As stated above, you're going to spend time (most likely 9-12+ months) on either visa. You're going to spend money whether up front for a spousal or eventually when you adjust status for the k1. Personally, i'd rather pay up,,front, get that 2 yr GC and not have to worry about adjusting status shortly after his arrival.

More important to be married. I feel its more fair for his family to be present :thumbs: Ugh, i wish it was that easy for my family to go to egypt. There will only be one relative of mine and possibly a couple friends.

thank you. i needed this break down of it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's a tough decision. None of my family was present when my husband and I married in Egypt. It was my second marriage and my family wasn't exactly thrilled about me getting married again or in Egypt or to someone they didn't really know so my decision to marry there was a pretty easy decision to make. Not that my inlaws were exactly jumping for joy about us getting married so "suddenly", etc. but I digress. :) Anyways, I wish you luck with whatever path you choose. :)

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

It's a tough decision. None of my family was present when my husband and I married in Egypt. It was my second marriage and my family wasn't exactly thrilled about me getting married again or in Egypt or to someone they didn't really know so my decision to marry there was a pretty easy decision to make. Not that my inlaws were exactly jumping for joy about us getting married so "suddenly", etc. but I digress. :) Anyways, I wish you luck with whatever path you choose. :)

Yes it is..!

Haaa, my Grandma's from both side of the family aren't very thrilled about it. Unfortunately. My grandmother on my dad's side is American from the Midwest, she thinks he is after me for papers. My Grandma from my moms side is Armenian Christian, originally from Iraq. She isn't thrilled at all because he is Muslim & she is veryyy Christian. Also, when my mom told her that i will be getting married to an Egyptian man, She had yelled out something like... "OUT OF ALL PEOPLE, OUT OF ALL MEN... WHY EGYPTIAN". Wait till Grandpa finds out. I'm saving that part for last. :bonk:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes it is..!

Haaa, my Grandma's from both side of the family aren't very thrilled about it. Unfortunately. My grandmother on my dad's side is American from the Midwest, she thinks he is after me for papers. My Grandma from my moms side is Armenian Christian, originally from Iraq. She isn't thrilled at all because he is Muslim & she is veryyy Christian. Also, when my mom told her that i will be getting married to an Egyptian man, She had yelled out something like... "OUT OF ALL PEOPLE, OUT OF ALL MEN... WHY EGYPTIAN". Wait till Grandpa finds out. I'm saving that part for last. :bonk:

funny story of your grandmother and what she said....good for you going for what you love (F)

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

How did "they" know this figure? Both the I-864 and I-134 state minimum requirements are 125% of poverty level. No number is provided. The only documentation I was able to find was for the I-864 stating the $18k for household size of 2, $23k for size of 3, ect. I'm not understanding how the I-129F for fiance K1 could have a minimum of $15,130 on the I-134 form, but when you do an AOS after marrying it becomes a minimum of $18k on the I-864. Shouldn't they both be the same, or do they think a company gives you a $3k raise right after you marry someone??

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I couldn't edit my post, IDK why. But the correction is that the $15,130 is for a USC in active duty in the armed forces and the $18,913 for anyone else. So, it is the same for the I-134 for K1 (and then I-864 for AOS) and the I-864 used for IR/CR-1. The difference is ONLY if they are in the armed forces.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.