Seth ♥ Line

Without engagement ceremony = Visa denial?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Dear all my k1 visa friends here,

We just received NOA2 3days ago. My fiancee is American and I am Cambodian.

I have one question about engagement ceremony. I have heard a lot of people say that if you process k1 visa without engagement ceremony (photos, certificate)the percentage to pass the interview is so low and most of them get denial. Is it true?

We had a family engagement since he proposed me from my mom and my sisters and brother were there just we didn't make any party. our parents are going to write a letter to show that they are happy and agree we both engaged with their signature. Does it should be fine for the consulate? or it is not acceptable?

Really appreciate for your kindly answers :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Dear all my k1 visa friends here,

We just received NOA2 3days ago. My fiancee is American and I am Cambodian.

I have one question about engagement ceremony. I have heard a lot of people say that if you process k1 visa without engagement ceremony (photos, certificate)the percentage to pass the interview is so low and most of them get denial. Is it true?

We had a family engagement since he proposed me from my mom and my sisters and brother were there just we didn't make any party. our parents are going to write a letter to show that they are happy and agree we both engaged with their signature. Does it should be fine for the consulate? or it is not acceptable?

Really appreciate for your kindly answers :)

Hi

Its not necessary that photographs should be of any party. You can also show the photographs of being together. Yes, you should be ready with letter signed by your parent.

This is new era and every person keep mobile phone, camera when such kind of gathering occurs. Try to find out some photographs in which you and your fiancee are together.

Consulate believes on your words, if something stuck then they start asking for documents step by step. They just want to get convinced that your intention is honest and you really intend to marry your fiancee after reaching Unites States.

Thanks

Are engagement ceremonies customary in Cambodia? If so, the consulate may ask why you didn't have one. An engagement ceremony is not required to get a visa. Some people don't even have rings for their SO before the visa is in hand. Cultures vary so the US consulates do take traditions of other cultures into consideration, but an engagement ceremony is not a requirement and not a reason for denial for a genuine relationship. The letters from your parents are a good thing, and pictures of you together on your engagement night are nice to have. For pictures though, you just need pictures of any time you were together within 2 years of filing. I am not sure where you heard about the percentage of passing the interview without a ceremony being low unless it is custom for Cambodians to have engagement ceremonies. If that were the case, it could seem suspicious that the couple didn't have a ceremony. Again though, this is not an automatic reason for denial. Generally speaking, this "low percentage" speculation just isn't true. The US issues visas at their discretion and by their rules, but know the culture you will be sharing and what's expected.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: Timeline

Engagement ceremony is part of Cambodian culture and tradition. It is officially acceptable for the society here. As a Cambodian girl we show respect and honor to our parents by having engagement ceremony and also to show to the people, the whole family and friends that our relationship is real and that we are committed to get married at a later time possible. Unlike being boyfriend and girlfriend, this type of relationship in general is unacceptable in Cambodian society whether the relationship base on true love or not.

To the OP (Original Poster), at least you have a letter of parents' consent to your relationship which is something good to have. But again like ToddnJessa said The US issues visas at their discretion and by their rules.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Move to Asia:East and Pacific Forum from the K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures, as this is a Country Specific question.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.