10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi all. My husband arrived here on 6/6/12 on a I-130 visa. His 5 year old son is still in Jamaica. We would like to petition for his son but need information pertaining to the process. Can anyone tell us which of us will have to file the petition and what paperwork will be needed?

Thanks for your help with this issue.

Timeline

An I-130 must be filed for him. Did he mention him on his I-130 as 'to follow'?

Are you a USC? If so, you can file the I-130 for him as your stepchild. The waiting time would be shorter than if your husband did it.

I also suggest that you check out this thread http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/363683-stand-alone-i-130-for-stepchildren/

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Timeline

An I-130 must be filed for him. Did he mention him on his I-130 as 'to follow'?

Are you a USC? If so, you can file the I-130 for him as your stepchild. The waiting time would be shorter than if your husband did it.

I also suggest that you check out this thread http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/363683-stand-alone-i-130-for-stepchildren/

Timeline

Thank you so much for the info. I am the US citizen. I did put him on my husbands petition that he would follow. I wasn't aware that I could petition for him. My husband said something to me about having to have DNA testing done, do you have any information on that?

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you so much for the info. I am the US citizen. I did put him on my husbands petition that he would follow. I wasn't aware that I could petition for him. My husband said something to me about having to have DNA testing done, do you have any information on that?

I am interested in this thread as we plan to file for my two step daughters once my Husband arrives. Ive heard most The time DNA testing is REQUIRED for Jamaica. If that is The case,.they would need to return to jamaica for testing. It would be nice to know in advance.. Maybe it would be part of The medical that would Work so they could fly back with The children..

01/06/2012- Married My best friend

05/09/2012- Mailed I-130 via Fed Ex

5/10/2012- I-130 has been received & Signed for at the Chicago lockbox at 10:23 am

05/14/2012- Received NOA1 via Text Message

05/17/2012- Received NOA1 via Snail Mail(Postmarked 5/15/2012)

07/27/2012- 9:36 am Received NOA2 via text message (thought it was a dream)

07/30/2012- Started calling the NVC to see if case has been received

08/02/2012 -Called NVC- Rep told me that NVC Received Package 07/30/2012 (Still no case# assigned)

08/16/2012 -Called NVC- Information has been entered and received my case number (Yahooo)

08/24/2012- AOS Bill invoiced and paid

08/30/2012- Emailed the DS-3023

09/05/2012- Sent AOS (Affidavit of support) packet via Fed Ex (overnight)

09/06/2012- AOS Packet received

09/11/2012- Received email notification that the DS-3023 (Choice of Agent) has been accepted

09/13/2012- Received IV Bill

09/13/2012- Paid IV Bill

09/17/2012- IV marked as paid

09/17/2012- Sent IV Package (DS-230) via Fed Ex

09/18/2012- IV Package Received

09/18/2012- AOS Packet Accepted

09/25/2012- Called NVC and found out I have an RFE

09/26/2012- Received RFE via EMAIL

10/01/2012- Sent original divorce documentation (RFE) via Fed Ex overnight

10/15/2012- CASE COMPLETE (Yahoooooooooooo)

10/23/2012- Case complete email received..

11/02/2012- Called DOS and received interview date

11/05/2012- Received email with check list and appointment date

11/20/2012- Medical Completed

12/03/2012- Interview Scheduled

12/24/2012- Entered the USA and got to MN at 12:08 am on 12/25/2012 Merry X-Mas to us

Timeline

I am interested in this thread as we plan to file for my two step daughters once my Husband arrives. Ive heard most The time DNA testing is REQUIRED for Jamaica. If that is The case,.they would need to return to jamaica for testing. It would be nice to know in advance.. Maybe it would be part of The medical that would Work so they could fly back with The children..

Is there no way for my husband to have the test done here and have it sent to Jamaica. Hi son is with his family so they can take him to have the testing done there. I was afraid he would have to return for the testing thats why I came on here to see if anyone else has went through this.

Is there no way for my husband to have the test done here and have it sent to Jamaica. Hi son is with his family so they can take him to have the testing done there. I was afraid he would have to return for the testing thats why I came on here to see if anyone else has went through this.

Usually, petitioner pays for the test and does his/her part of sampling in the US. The lab sends another kit for the family member to the US embassy and they then schedule the time for sampling and then send it back to the lab. You then have to wait couple of weeks for the results to come back. If it all matches, beneficiary gets the visa.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Usually, petitioner pays for the test and does his/her part of sampling in the US. The lab sends another kit for the family member to the US embassy and they then schedule the time for sampling and then send it back to the lab. You then have to wait couple of weeks for the results to come back. If it all matches, beneficiary gets the visa.

Thank you so much for this information. Do you know who I can contact to get this information verified. USCIS won't give you any information at all about anything.

Thank you so much for this information. Do you know who I can contact to get this information verified. USCIS won't give you any information at all about anything.

Info is on the Kingston Embassy website: http://kingston.usembassy.gov/dna_testing_procedures.html

DNA Testing Steps

1. Your petitioner should contact any one of the approved AABB DNA testing facilities.
  2. If your alleged blood relative is a U.S. citizen or LPR, the U.S. laboratory will first analyze the DNA in their sample. DHL will then forward a test kit to the U.S. Embassy in Kingston. Please enusre that a commercial invoice is included in the test kit.
    If your alleged blood relative resides in Jamaica, then DHL will forward two test kits to the U.S. Embassy in Kingston after the kits are paid for by the U.S. petitioner. Please ensure that a commercial invoice is included in the test kit.
  3. When the test kit is received, you will be scheduled to come to the Embassy and submit a cheek swab tissue sample. Please bring two passport sized photos, your birth certificate and your passport.
  4. If the DNA test verifies the claimed relationship, the Embassy will resume processing of your application.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Info is on the Kingston Embassy website: http://kingston.usembassy.gov/dna_testing_procedures.html

DNA Testing Steps

1. Your petitioner should contact any one of the approved AABB DNA testing facilities.
  2. If your alleged blood relative is a U.S. citizen or LPR, the U.S. laboratory will first analyze the DNA in their sample. DHL will then forward a test kit to the U.S. Embassy in Kingston. Please enusre that a commercial invoice is included in the test kit.
    If your alleged blood relative resides in Jamaica, then DHL will forward two test kits to the U.S. Embassy in Kingston after the kits are paid for by the U.S. petitioner. Please ensure that a commercial invoice is included in the test kit.
  3. When the test kit is received, you will be scheduled to come to the Embassy and submit a cheek swab tissue sample. Please bring two passport sized photos, your birth certificate and your passport.
  4. If the DNA test verifies the claimed relationship, the Embassy will resume processing of your application.

Thank you for all this information. You have been very helpful. At least we know what to expect now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.