Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

mexican consulate?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

After years of dealing with Mexican entities in the US and while living in Mexico, I'd say to just be prepared that it may be a bit of a struggle.

First, most Mexican consulates never answer the phone, so give it a shot, be prepared to sit and listen to dialing or busy tones a lot, and if you live near one, going in early in the morning and hoping for the best is often the only way to get stuff done.

Second, there are some who have found that their Mexican consulate refuses to change the name on the passport because Mexico doesn't legally recognize name changes due to marriage, only through legal/court proceedings and such. There are others who are able to get a passport issued in their maiden name and a small notation is made somewhere containing the married name. Finally, I've heard rumors of the possibility at some consulates of getting the entire name changed on the passport, either with a certified copy and photocopy of the marriage certificate, those two plus an apostille on the certified copy, or those two plus an apostille and a translation for the certified copy. Or any combination of those. With Mexican authorities you really never know until you try. I believe the Mexican consulate in Chicago does issue a changed name, but only if you treat the passport application as a first-time application rather than a renewal. So maybe it will be the same at yours. Good luck!

Edited by GlobeHopperMama

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter


You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

can my wife get her passport name changed at the mexican consulate with our certified marriage certificate?

Yes, take your birth certificate and old passport tell them that you would like to add your married last name. It will just be "name maiden last name de married last name". If she took your last name on the marriage certificate that is a legal name change so all her paperwork to uscis shoul be under her married last name.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.