Stuart and Thea

Football (NFL) vs Hockey

12 posts in this topic

My husband is a huge football fan, even has a tattoo of his favourite team. (hangs head in shame and says Vikings....)

We even have a purple (yes purple, I call it Barney) couch, with a Vikings logo on it. (one of the FEW things he got in the divorce.)

This is a picture of what I have decorating the top cupboards of my kitchen:

dscn1010.jpg

It's a giant football jersey framed and signed by a football player. Around it is several rare photos signed by famous Vikings. We have hundreds of these, but the rest are in storage, but I think we could fill that vaulted wall if we wanted too.

He had curtains. Sheets. He has over 50 ball caps. He has more than 50 jerseys and teeshirts, and sweatshirts. We have a foam finger to wave. We have beer glasses, coffee cups. (he's been collecting for a long time...) We have magazines, books... a football helmet signed by an entire team, and a football signed as well. (it's something special as to what team it is...)

When I moved here I had to get rid of things that didn't fit on the truck, and gave away my Leafs jersey to a friend. ALL I have is a pair of panties.

I enjoy bugging my husband asking him things like, what period is it? (when he says they don't have periods in football I then switch to, okay, sorry, inning then...)

Why don't they pull the goalie to get an extra man out there? Where's the penalty box? Who got the assist? When are they gonna drop the gloves? Playoffs? Cool, is this game 7?

I need to come up with more to bug him, anyone?

(And if you were looking for a thread to discuss which is better, then what are you doing in the Canada forum? This thread is ONLY to discuss why hockey is better.)

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If there are 4 downs? How many ups are there?

When they sack the quarterback, yell really loudly.. "Goalie Interference"!

I am going to miss hockey... The lockout is sad...

Go Penguins...!!

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I love hockey, but I really could care less how long this lock out goes!!! The NHL players talk about solidarity--ya right, the big names plan on going over to Europe and playing AND taking away jobs from others!!! The true people that suffer are the ordinary workers that work for the teams (ticket sellers, front office staff, etc etc) the ones not making the big $$$$$.

When it comes down to it, hockey is just (great) entertainment, but now a days 1 has sooo many different options to be entertained. Millionairess fighting with millionaires while the everyday people suffer. So I have no sympathy for their greediness. If you can't survive on their paycheques, one has to be doing something wrong.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This actually made me laugh.

My fiance is in Canada. He is a HUGE Leafs fan. As well as the Blue Jays. And unfortunately the Buffalo Bills. Well, I don't care much about hockey, went to a few Blue Jays games with him, even when they played my Tigers in Toronto!

In order to give a little in our relationship, I have my Maple Leaf and Blue Jays window decals...right next to my Detroit Lions decals.

Today, my fiance mentioned me getting a Buffalo Bills decal. I about FREAKED OUT! Like, NO! I gave you the Maple Leafs, I gave you the Blue Jays...(I don't even have a Tigers decal yet!). And now you want.....the Bills? LIKE WHOA! Hang on there Mister! My pink Detroit Lions logo and my decal of Calvin Johnson's jersey are the ONLY and I mean ONLY NFL decals going on my car...unless I can get a REALLY big Lion for the back window.

How dare he ask to have the Bills on my car?!?! Ugh! I about threw a fit. Well, ok I did throw a fit!

HAHAHAHAHA Oh Canadians, how I love them. :)

In all fairness, I am very glad that I have a man who LOVES sports as much as I do! It brings us together.

When we went to the Blue Jays/Tigers game in Toronto, we wore our Tigers t-shirts. And I promised him, when we go to the Blue Jays/Tigers game in Detroit, I'll wear my Brett Lawrie shirt with pride! :)

I don't have much to add to the hockey/NFL teasing...but you could throw in a "RUN PHIL KESSEL" every now and then! :D

Edited by amberlynnloves

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I love hockey, but I really could care less how long this lock out goes!!! The NHL players talk about solidarity--ya right, the big names plan on going over to Europe and playing AND taking away jobs from others!!! The true people that suffer are the ordinary workers that work for the teams (ticket sellers, front office staff, etc etc) the ones not making the big $$$$$.

When it comes down to it, hockey is just (great) entertainment, but now a days 1 has sooo many different options to be entertained. Millionairess fighting with millionaires while the everyday people suffer. So I have no sympathy for their greediness. If you can't survive on their paycheques, one has to be doing something wrong.

<LIKE> - that is all I have to say

Thea - I have lucked out in that Don is a seasoned Hockey fan - Caps all the way so he LOVES to watch hockey. I must say though that the Football thing takes over. We watch College on Saturday - and I do mean ALL day. Then we watch most of the day Sunday. I need a break ...give me a HGTV show in between!

English Premier League Soccer just started so Sat and Sun mornings are entirely full as well. above all my husband is fan of the beautiful game.

I enjoy Feb/ March where we only have 2 sports to watch ;P

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

My husband is a huge football fan, even has a tattoo of his favourite team. (hangs head in shame and says Vikings....)

We even have a purple (yes purple, I call it Barney) couch, with a Vikings logo on it. (one of the FEW things he got in the divorce.)

This is a picture of what I have decorating the top cupboards of my kitchen:

dscn1010.jpg

It's a giant football jersey framed and signed by a football player. Around it is several rare photos signed by famous Vikings. We have hundreds of these, but the rest are in storage, but I think we could fill that vaulted wall if we wanted too.

He had curtains. Sheets. He has over 50 ball caps. He has more than 50 jerseys and teeshirts, and sweatshirts. We have a foam finger to wave. We have beer glasses, coffee cups. (he's been collecting for a long time...) We have magazines, books... a football helmet signed by an entire team, and a football signed as well. (it's something special as to what team it is...)

When I moved here I had to get rid of things that didn't fit on the truck, and gave away my Leafs jersey to a friend. ALL I have is a pair of panties.

I enjoy bugging my husband asking him things like, what period is it? (when he says they don't have periods in football I then switch to, okay, sorry, inning then...)

Why don't they pull the goalie to get an extra man out there? Where's the penalty box? Who got the assist? When are they gonna drop the gloves? Playoffs? Cool, is this game 7?

I need to come up with more to bug him, anyone?

(And if you were looking for a thread to discuss which is better, then what are you doing in the Canada forum? This thread is ONLY to discuss why hockey is better.)

If these are the same pair of Leafs panties my wife has, you should be able to divert his mind from football on any given Sunday. :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I turned my husband into a hockey fanatic! Its our duty as the Canadian spouse... :lol: He knows more about it than I do now. We've even had Avalanche season tickets for the last 2 years. Sure he still pokes fun at the Leafs, but I can't really blame him for that...

I'm trying to get into football, and I'm warming up to it, but its nothing like hockey... naturally.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I turned my husband into a hockey fanatic! Its our duty as the Canadian spouse... :lol: He knows more about it than I do now. We've even had Avalanche season tickets for the last 2 years. Sure he still pokes fun at the Leafs, but I can't really blame him for that...

I'm trying to get into football, and I'm warming up to it, but its nothing like hockey... naturally.

I'm 1 for 1 now. I used to be walking distance to the Pepsi Center, but I have only seen one NHL game in my life (locally meaning the Avs because it was a free ticket) and that was a few years back. I have flown to Miami to see my Dolphins play on Monday Night Football though.

I've just always been a college football person and English football league (which ever league West Ham ends up in). Though I will watch the Dolphins on TV once in awhile and always watch the Super Bowl, I've never watched hockey on tv and never seen their super bowl at all.

It's funny because I know so many people that are so into hockey here it's crazy and they all get a kick out of the fact I know nothing about it. Think that's the same for most US cities that have teams though, you'll tend to get a lot more fans into it...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

English Premier League Soccer just started so Sat and Sun mornings are entirely full as well. above all my husband is fan of the beautiful game.

I count myself lucky that my husband hates soccer, at least it gives me a longer break than that! He IS a golfer, but that only translates to the both of us heading out onto the course, not TV time!

If these are the same pair of Leafs panties my wife has, you should be able to divert his mind from football on any given Sunday. :lol:

I save them as a secret weapon if there's ever a conflict on which we watch!

When they had the hockey strike way back, I stopped watching. But Sundin and Domi were just too persuasive and were always yelling at me from the sports pages, "come watch, come watch" It took a friend bringing me back to a game to get watching it again. Besides, I'm a Leaf's fan, so you already know there's very little the players can do to turn me off hockey forever. (there's very little they do to make me a fan... it goes without saying!)

May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 30 2012 - NOA4

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I like to harass football fans regarding he number of games that get played in a week/season..... "so ya, it's Monday night football..... so what time to they play on Wednesday??.... what?? ...they don't..??..once a week??... really... then how do they get those 82 regular season games in... .. 16 games... seriously..only 16??!! "LOL "tongue_ss.gif

Hahaha, good one! I've taken to asking why the fields are so small, and calling first down on a third, he HATES that!

May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 30 2012 - NOA4

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call

I count myself lucky that my husband hates soccer, at least it gives me a longer break than that! He IS a golfer, but that only translates to the both of us heading out onto the course, not TV time!

I save them as a secret weapon if there's ever a conflict on which we watch!

When they had the hockey strike way back, I stopped watching. But Sundin and Domi were just too persuasive and were always yelling at me from the sports pages, "come watch, come watch" It took a friend bringing me back to a game to get watching it again. Besides, I'm a Leaf's fan, so you already know there's very little the players can do to turn me off hockey forever. (there's very little they do to make me a fan... it goes without saying!)

My being from Boston gives my wife and I a nice hockey rivalry. We never miss a Leafs/Bruins game. Love hockey! Before we married I went to Ontario for a visit and we went to a local sports pub for dinner and drinks. The Leafs were playing the Canadiens that night and I just so happened to wear my Bruins sweatshirt to the pub, needless to say the entertainment was endless. :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.