AstralEdge

Original birth certificate at time of interview? It was already submitted to NVC!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys!

My interview at the Montreal consulate is next week (september 19) and I just want to make sure i got all my ducks in a row!

At the NVC stage we have already submitted my original birth certificate and original police certificate as requested.

Now this information got me really confused:

Montreal appointment list

It states:

Birth Certificate, English translation and a photocopy.

Well... I've got a photocopy of the birth certificate aswell as a photocopy of the translation but the original of my birth certificate

was already submitted at the NVC stage! I don't have another one!

Right now this is stressing me like crazy as I only have one week to go!

Could someone please clarify this? I need to calm down :clock::shocked:

Also if anybody else has their interview on the same day as me, it would be nice to hear from you :)

Edited by Marie&Sam

July 08 2011 - We got married smile.png

USCIS
08/06/2011 ~ filed for I-130
08/11/2011 ~ NOA1 text/email
08/15/2011 ~ Touched
08/16/2011 ~ Money order cashed
09/21/2011 ~ NOA2 text/email
09/26/2011 ~ NOA2 Hardcopy

NVC
10/07/2011 ~ NVC received case
10/13/2011 ~ case # assigned and IIN
10/13/2011 ~ Sent DS-3032 via email
10/17/2011 ~ NVC accepted our DS-3032
11/01/2011 ~ AOS & IV fees shows its ''paid'' and receipts printed
11/03/2011 ~ AOS package sent to NVC
11/10/2011 ~ DS-260 sent electronically to NVC
12/01/2011 ~ Case complete at NVC
12/14/2011 ~ Received packet 4

Medical, interview & POE
01/18/2012 ~ Interview date NVC scheduled for us. Unfortunately, we had to reschedule it for September.
09/13/2012 ~ Medical at Medisys
09/19/2012 ~ Interview! ~ APPROVED!!
09/21/2012 ~ Visa + Passport received
10/06/2012 ~ POE at P-E Trudeau Airport (Montreal)
10/19/2012 ~ Welcome letter received!
10/26/2012 ~ Greencard in hand smile.png

12/31/2013 ~ Birth of our son!

ROC, Removal of Conditions (CR1)

09/16/2014 ~ Sent I-751

09/22/2014 ~ NOA1

10/21/2014 ~ Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess no one is sure about what to do...

Try contacting the consulate at their email: Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

They were quick to reply to my question when I emailed them a few months ago regarding medical examinations. I'm not sure of the rules in send emails to them, but if you put your file number and put URGENT in the email subject line, they might get back to you quickly. Try it in the meantime, and if someone else gets back to you with more advice, then at least you've done everything you can to find out.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Too late to mention, but never send originals, always send copies and bring originals to the interviews.

It's obviuously too late to obtain another copy from the province so since you have your photocopy, you can take that to the interview and make it clear to them that they have the original. If for some reason montreal has misplaced it they will let you know at that time and you may come away needing to obtain a new one from the province. If they have it you should ask for the original back and have them take a photocopy at the interview time.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Back in 2004----I know on that last packet it send to bring in certain documents that I ALREADY had mailed in! I had extras so I brought them with me to the interview---BUT they were not required as they already had them!! Hopefully thats works out the same for you. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I just want to add that it's not too late to get a birth certificate. I live in Alberta and was born in BC. To get my passport I had to get a new birth certificate because my old one wasn't adequate (the cover THEY put on made the writing come off the paper.) I had to pay extra but I had mine in 3 days. If you live in the province it can be even easier, it just costs more money.

From everything I've read on this forum, it sounds like all your paperwork you've submitted will be there waiting for you. They probably don't send out very specific letters just generic "bring this stuff" to everyone for things like this. You'll be okay. If you want to get the extra birth certificate, jump on the net or go down to a service canada, or registry office and get one sent to you ASAP even if it costs more, at least for your own peace of mind.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I just want to add that it's not too late to get a birth certificate. I live in Alberta and was born in BC. To get my passport I had to get a new birth certificate because my old one wasn't adequate (the cover THEY put on made the writing come off the paper.) I had to pay extra but I had mine in 3 days. If you live in the province it can be even easier, it just costs more money.

From everything I've read on this forum, it sounds like all your paperwork you've submitted will be there waiting for you. They probably don't send out very specific letters just generic "bring this stuff" to everyone for things like this. You'll be okay. If you want to get the extra birth certificate, jump on the net or go down to a service canada, or registry office and get one sent to you ASAP even if it costs more, at least for your own peace of mind.

Ya, if you're really worried you could just order another original long form birth certificate. It costs a little extra to expedite, but it's worth it for peace of mind. I got mine within 3 business days, too. But it was the first time I ordered one.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Too late to mention, but never send originals, always send copies and bring originals to the interviews.

It's obviuously too late to obtain another copy from the province so since you have your photocopy, you can take that to the interview and make it clear to them that they have the original. If for some reason montreal has misplaced it they will let you know at that time and you may come away needing to obtain a new one from the province. If they have it you should ask for the original back and have them take a photocopy at the interview time.

when applying for a Cr1 visa you are asked to send in the originals to the NVC.. at least that was the case when I went through the visa process..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Thank you all!

That same day I decided to buy my own peace of mind for $51 ... I got a new long-form birth certificate expedited to me within 3 days!

I think I made the right decision... Even if I don't need it at the interview I plan to use it when renewing my passport in a few months from now.

I went to my medical at Medisys this morning so I will try to find the right place on this website to write a review! :P

July 08 2011 - We got married smile.png

USCIS
08/06/2011 ~ filed for I-130
08/11/2011 ~ NOA1 text/email
08/15/2011 ~ Touched
08/16/2011 ~ Money order cashed
09/21/2011 ~ NOA2 text/email
09/26/2011 ~ NOA2 Hardcopy

NVC
10/07/2011 ~ NVC received case
10/13/2011 ~ case # assigned and IIN
10/13/2011 ~ Sent DS-3032 via email
10/17/2011 ~ NVC accepted our DS-3032
11/01/2011 ~ AOS & IV fees shows its ''paid'' and receipts printed
11/03/2011 ~ AOS package sent to NVC
11/10/2011 ~ DS-260 sent electronically to NVC
12/01/2011 ~ Case complete at NVC
12/14/2011 ~ Received packet 4

Medical, interview & POE
01/18/2012 ~ Interview date NVC scheduled for us. Unfortunately, we had to reschedule it for September.
09/13/2012 ~ Medical at Medisys
09/19/2012 ~ Interview! ~ APPROVED!!
09/21/2012 ~ Visa + Passport received
10/06/2012 ~ POE at P-E Trudeau Airport (Montreal)
10/19/2012 ~ Welcome letter received!
10/26/2012 ~ Greencard in hand smile.png

12/31/2013 ~ Birth of our son!

ROC, Removal of Conditions (CR1)

09/16/2014 ~ Sent I-751

09/22/2014 ~ NOA1

10/21/2014 ~ Biometrics

Timeline

If you have already sent the original in to Montreal, then just bring copies with you. Normally you would send in copies, and then at the interview you would - if requested - present the original so they can compare the two and make sure the copies are exact. If you have copies of the documents with you, you can request to have the original personal document like a birth certificate returned and substitute the copy for it. The police record original is supposed to be submitted and they will keep that. The Consular officer asked to see the original of my birth certificate and of my now husbands' divorce decrees. Fortunately, I had them with me (I had submitted copies). They took them, looked at them, and then returned the originals to me.

As you continue through the immigration process make sure that you only submit copies of documents - not originals - unless they specifically state it must be the original. Then, if you are called for an interview, bring the originals of the copies you submitted with you in case they want to compare. They usually don't, but US legislation gives them that right so it is best to be prepared.

Good luck at the interview.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

As I mentioned earlier, if you are applying for the CR1 visa, at the NVC stage they ask for the original or certified copy of your birth certificate. A certified copy is what you get when you order the Birth Certificate.

Same thing with the marriage certificate. Our lovely lawyer sent in a copy and we got an RFE because they wanted the original or certified copy..

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.