hockeygal

skyrocketing stress

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How important is the marriage license if you have a divorce decree?

He’s been divorced twice. We have certified copies of his marriage/divorce docs from first marriage, but only the certified copy of the second divorce decree. He was sure he had seen marriage license #2 in his papers, but now he can’t find it. To further complicate matters, he and the second wife had eloped to an area that straddles 2 states and didn’t do any of the paperwork themselves, so he remembers nothing. I’ve called one county and they did a state-wide search for it and found nothing. The other state county won’t tell me anything, and requires a notarized letter from him and a self addressed stamped envelope to even look. And a cheque too, of course. And we don't even know if it is in that county at all.... And I just got my interview date yesterday – Nov. 20.

Unfortunately, his next week, at least, is full of resigning from one job and preparing financial documents for another, so he’s not looking into this now and his own stress level is so high, I can’t push him.

Anyone had to track down a marriage certificate on short notice; or did anyone only have the divorce decree for the interview? It seems redundant to me to need a marriage license when you have proof positive there was a divorce. Hey, would the county that handled the divorce have a copy of the marriage license attached?

What if I forked over the cash required for those online background checks? Would they give me the details I need for the marriage licence... cert #, county, etc.? Anyone ever bought one? If it would, I'd pay. At least I'd have a starting point other than "south lake tahoe".

I hate that entire fiasco of a second marriage. It has been the pain in the @ss for 5 years re his lingering wounds from it, and now this. :angry:

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Stop stressing. You don't need the marriage license.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
How important is the marriage license if you have a divorce decree?

He’s been divorced twice. We have certified copies of his marriage/divorce docs from first marriage, but only the certified copy of the second divorce decree. He was sure he had seen marriage license #2 in his papers, but now he can’t find it. To further complicate matters, he and the second wife had eloped to an area that straddles 2 states and didn’t do any of the paperwork themselves, so he remembers nothing. I’ve called one county and they did a state-wide search for it and found nothing. The other state county won’t tell me anything, and requires a notarized letter from him and a self addressed stamped envelope to even look. And a cheque too, of course. And we don't even know if it is in that county at all.... And I just got my interview date yesterday – Nov. 20.

Unfortunately, his next week, at least, is full of resigning from one job and preparing financial documents for another, so he’s not looking into this now and his own stress level is so high, I can’t push him.

Anyone had to track down a marriage certificate on short notice; or did anyone only have the divorce decree for the interview? It seems redundant to me to need a marriage license when you have proof positive there was a divorce. Hey, would the county that handled the divorce have a copy of the marriage license attached?

What if I forked over the cash required for those online background checks? Would they give me the details I need for the marriage licence... cert #, county, etc.? Anyone ever bought one? If it would, I'd pay. At least I'd have a starting point other than "south lake tahoe".

I hate that entire fiasco of a second marriage. It has been the pain in the @ss for 5 years re his lingering wounds from it, and now this. :angry:

Is the marriage certificate on the list of required documents? I was under the impression that the marriage certificate was only required when trying to provide a bridge to name changes.

YMMV

Timeline

But the consulate said I did! It says so on the checklist, and because I thought it was dumb, I emailed to make sure it was needed in a divorce, and not just with a death certificate.

If they hadn't told me that, I wouldn't worry. I probably shouldn't have asked. Now they have an email on my file specifically telling me I need it.

Well, if it doesn't turn up, I will just present the divorce decree. What else can I do. Besides some relaxation meditation. :P

edited to add - if other people have had no problems without it, I will relax. This is what I was hoping to hear.

Edited by hockeygal

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

We did NOT need marriage certificates at any stage

We did need certified copies of all divorce decrees, RFE after NOA1 so as you have NOA2 already stop sweating it looks like your good to go :thumbs:

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
But the consulate said I did! It says so on the checklist, and because I thought it was dumb, I emailed to make sure it was needed in a divorce, and not just with a death certificate.

If they hadn't told me that, I wouldn't worry. I probably shouldn't have asked. Now they have an email on my file specifically telling me I need it.

Well, if it doesn't turn up, I will just present the divorce decree. What else can I do. Besides some relaxation meditation. :P

Were they aware that the USC was a female and the beneficiary was male? They may have simply assumed something.

YMMV

Timeline

ok, it is good to know other people didn't need it. Maybe whoever answered my email was just being really particular.

If he turns it up in other searches, good, if not, well we have the divorce document... it at least proves he is free to marry.

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

We did NOT need marriage certificates at any stage

We did need certified copies of all divorce decrees, RFE after NOA1 so as you have NOA2 already stop sweating it looks like your good to go :thumbs:

Ahem... you will need a marriage certificate for the AOS...

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
For whatever its worth...yes the courthouse in the county wherein he originally married should be able to provide a certified copy of the marriage license.

Just as they can provide a certified copy of the divorce decree.

he was divorced in a different county. That one we know. I can't seem to find what county he got hitched in though and he has no idea. And not all counties will search for me unless he sends in a notarized written request etc. I'm not sure we have enough time for all of that... he's certainly not going to do anything about it this week anyway.

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.