hansven

American-Canadian Couple - Not Moving Yet

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm American, my fiancee is Canadian. We're getting married in November (not enough time for the I-129F route). She owns a home and has a good job in Canada. I recently graduated from a Canadian university and have a work permit for Canada (but not yet permanent residency). I still have bank accounts and savings in the US. I'm living off savings right now (job hunting) and we live together in Canada.

We plan to move to the US sometime in the next year or two. From reading the forums, it seems that it would be unwise for me to establish permanent residency in Canada after we marry because of the sponsorship/support issue. We're trying to take the right steps now to minimize the time apart later (and the time when she would be unable to work in the US) when we get to that step. Is the correct step right now for us to apply for her I-130 after we get married? I've heard that the I-130 to Green Card process is quicker for Canadians that for other nationalities. Are we doing this right, and does anyone have recent experience on how long it takes for Canadians to get the spouse I-130 and Green Card? Ideally, we'd get all of this processed while living/working in Canada and then pick up and move together once everything's settled.

Advice from people with recent experience would be greatly appreciated!

USCIS
6/12 - I-130 sent
6/13 - I-130 received
6/16 - NOA1
7/01 - NOA2
7/02 - USCIS sent packet to NVC
NVC
7/10 - NVC received packet
7/18 - Case number assigned
8/05 - DS-261 completed
8/08 - AOS invoiced (and paid)
8/12 - AOS scanned
8/27 - IV invoiced (and paid)
9/05 - IV scanned
10/21 - Case complete
10/30 - Interview scheduled
The rest
12/9 - Interview
12/12 - Visa received
12/19 - POE
DONE!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Canada regional forum; OP's questions are specific to Canada.

Is the correct step right now for us to apply for her I-130 after we get married?

...to get the spouse I-130 and Green Card?

An I-130 is not something that is applied for, it is a petition form that you, the US Citizen file with USCIS to start the immigration process.

If the petition is approved by USCIS, your wife will then be able to apply for a CR-1 visa.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

An I-130 is not something that is applied for, it is a petition form that you, the US Citizen file with USCIS to start the immigration process.

If the petition is approved by USCIS, your wife will then be able to apply for a CR-1 visa.

Should we do the I-130 as soon as we get married? Again, we don't have definite plans to move to the US yet -- we just want to have that option open to us when/if we make that decision.

USCIS
6/12 - I-130 sent
6/13 - I-130 received
6/16 - NOA1
7/01 - NOA2
NVC
8/05 - DS-261 completed
8/12 - AOS scanned
9/05 - IV scanned
10/21 - Case complete
The rest
12/9 - Interview
12/12 - Visa received
12/19 - POE
DONE!

Should we do the I-130 as soon as we get married? Again, we don't have definite plans to move to the US yet -- we just want to have that option open to us when/if we make that decision.

Canadians don't have a faster timeline than anyone coming from any other country, except that you will unlikely be placed in Additional Processing (AP) like many people coming from Middle Eastern/North African (MENA) countries. So you are looking at 8-10 months from petition to CR-1/IR-1 visa. There has been some anecdotal evidence, however, that if the American citizen files for their spouse while both of them are living abroad, they have been expedited so the first step may take only 2 months instead of the typical 5. From what I've heard, this isn't an official policy; it's just something that seems to be happening. Once your I-130 petition has been approved, I believe that you can let the petition wait at the next step (NVC) for up to a year, so you could apply right after you get married and then drag your feet on the rest of the paperwork. But by the time you get to the interview stage, you will have to have evidence that you have begun setting up a household in the US; Montreal is strict about that issue.

As a side note, why don't you think you should pursue Canadian permanent residency because of sponsorship? Regardless of your residency status, you won't be able to use any Canadian income to sponsor your spouse unless you will continue to work for the same company after having moved back to the US.

Edited by alizon

Timeline

As a side note, why don't you think you should pursue Canadian permanent residency because of sponsorship? Regardless of your residency status, you won't be able to use any Canadian income to sponsor your spouse unless you will continue to work for the same company after having moved back to the US.

Thanks for the input! Regarding your question, it was my understanding that for sponsorship it's important that I maintain my US ties. I don't own property in the US, but still keep my permanent address there (parents' address) since I'm still in Canada on a work permit and not PR. Either way, I won't have US income, but I have enough savings to meet the income requirement. I just assumed it'd be better to not aim for Canadian PR, but maybe I was wrong...

USCIS
6/12 - I-130 sent
6/13 - I-130 received
6/16 - NOA1
7/01 - NOA2
NVC
8/05 - DS-261 completed
8/12 - AOS scanned
9/05 - IV scanned
10/21 - Case complete
The rest
12/9 - Interview
12/12 - Visa received
12/19 - POE
DONE!

Thanks for the input! Regarding your question, it was my understanding that for sponsorship it's important that I maintain my US ties. I don't own property in the US, but still keep my permanent address there (parents' address) since I'm still in Canada on a work permit and not PR. Either way, I won't have US income, but I have enough savings to meet the income requirement. I just assumed it'd be better to not aim for Canadian PR, but maybe I was wrong...

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as a US citizen, you are always entitled to petition for your spouse, regardless of your current ties to the US or your permanent residency elsewhere. Having bank accounts and an address in the US are definitely things you will need during the interview to help prove that you are reestablishing your domicile in the US (in fact, you will probably need more than that), but it doesn't have any impact on your financial sponsorship. Probably just a confusion of terms here, sponsorship vs. domicile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.