klester

Supporting Evidence during initial CR-1/IR-1 application

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey guys,

I've been through this process once before (a K-1 that time), but ended up moving to Japan for work. Now we are looking at going back to the US, so we get to do it all over again :)

Anyway, my question is about supporting evidence of a marriage for the initial IR-1/CR-1 application. NOTE: Even though we are both in Japan, we have to apply to Chicago as Japan no longer has direct consulate filing.

The guide states:

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financialresources; or

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

The biggest problem for us is that in Japan (where we live now), most of these things are done under a single person's name.

1. Can't think of anything

2. Only my name is on our apartment lease

3. We have a few bank accounts, but each is only under one name or the other

4. No children

I was thinking about getting affidavits from one of her parents and one of my parents, and including ~6 pictures of us over the last 3 years.

Do you think this will be enough?

Also, I was wondering, what about a copy of our US taxes? I know they are not needed at this point, but we've filed jointly for a few years now -- would that also count as evidence or would it just be confusing/detrimental to put it in at this point?

Also, is a copy of an affidavit good enough or does it have to be the original? It would be much easier if I could get my parents in the USA just to scan it over.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by klester

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

taxes count as joint evidence, when submitted with the I-130.

re: the single name problem.

write up a letter of attestation on each thing, about the 'single name ' and the two of you sign each letter.

I'm betting you two have a collection of 'single name things' that show the same address, but a different name on one vs the other, yes?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Submit any bills or other mail that has each of your names and a common address. Letters from family showing your address will also help.

Married in Mexico 2012-06-16

I-130 DCF Sent : 2012-07-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2012-07-10
I-130 Approved 2012-07-11
Consulate Received : 2012-07-17
Packet 4 Received : 2012-08-03

Interview Date : 2012-08-21
Visa Received : 2012-08-23
US Entry : 2012-08-23
Interview took 42 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

I-751 Lifting Conditions
CIS Office : Vermont Service Center
Date Filed : 2014-06-13
NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio appointment ; 2014-07-18

If I understand correctly, you originally filed for a K-1 and now a CR-1 - both for the same beneficiary, right? I was in a similar situation - we made it all the way to the consulate for the K-1 but canceled it to allow time for my now wife to finish school. We later married and filed for a CR-1. In our case - we submitted ALL of the paperwork we had for the K-1, and almost NO paperwork about our marriage other than the marriage license and certificate. We didn't even send pics of our wedding because we didn't have them developed yet - and we were approved without issue.

I only mention all of this because I think having applied for the K-1 originally (for the same person) was actually beneficial for us. It showed that we had had a relationship for a long time and had already been over the USCIS and NVC hurdles. Obviously, if you don't have much to show about your relationship, that may be an issue for you. In our case, we sent about 30 pictures over a span of 3 years, every boarding pass we both had from at least a dozen flights (including several where we sat next to each other), and a few Fedex receipts from letters sent back and forth. I'd bet that if you have at least a few things showing you've known each other for a few years, your marriage paperwork and a few pictures - you'll be fine. Japan typically isn't considered a high-fraud country anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.