Swingman_Tomoyo

How to apply for US passport for my son if it's based on Child Citizenship Act?

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I would like to apply for a US passport for my son but I'm not sure what to do or if he's even qualified for that. My US citizen husband petitioned for us and my son was given an IR2 visa. Do we jump straight to applying for a US passport or do we need to apply for a certificate of naturalization/citizenship first (not sure which of the two)? Thanks everyone for your help! :-)

ScreenShot2012-06-15at91431AM.png

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1312.html#7

You do not have to obtain a citizenship document, you can go right to a passport if that is your wish.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hypnos is correct, just go get your US Passport for your son.You and your son was petitioned by your Husband, a USC. Go get your sons Passport! Good Luck!:thumbs:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Based on your time, I assume you are not yet USC.

Is your USC husband biologicial father of your son? if yes, then your son is also USC, and qualified for US passport.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everyone! I would like to apply for a US passport for my son but I'm not sure what to do or if he's even qualified for that. My US citizen husband petitioned for us and my son was given an IR2 visa. Do we jump straight to applying for a US passport or do we need to apply for a certificate of naturalization/citizenship first (not sure which of the two)? Thanks everyone for your help! :-)

How do you believe that your child qualifies for a US passport? Is the biological father a US citizen?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Like what Anh Map said..is your USC husband the biological father of your son? If he is not then chances are ur son is not a USC since u mentioned your son was given an IR2 visa . If your son is a citizen then he don't need to have a visa to come to the United States. I assumed your son is not a citizen yet since you are not sure if he qualifies for a US passport. If you are sure that your son is a US citizen then there is no doubt that he can apply for a US passport.

Like what Anh Map said..is your USC husband the biological father of your son? If he is not then chances are ur son is not a USC since u mentioned your son was given an IR2 visa . If your son is a citizen then he don't need to have a visa to come to the United States. I assumed your son is not a citizen yet since you are not sure if he qualifies for a US passport. If you are sure that your son is a US citizen then there is no doubt that he can apply for a US passport.

Yes my USC husband is the biological father of my son. Actually, I am referring to the Child Citizenship Act http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1312.html#7.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically. These children did not acquire American citizenship at birth, but they are granted citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).

--> My son was born in the Philippines and was not qualified for Consular Report for Birth Abroad because my husband (his father) was not a US citizen at that time.

What Are the Requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000?

The child must meet the following requirements:

Have at least one American citizen parent by birth or naturalization;

Be under 18 years of age;

Live in the legal and physical custody of the American citizen parent; and

Be admitted as an immigrant for lawful permanent residence.

Anyway, I just found out the answer to my question now... the link says we don't need to apply for a certificate of citizenship therefore I assume we can go straight to applying for his US passport.

How Does the Child Get a Passport Under the Child Citizenship Act?

You will need the following when the child applies for a passport:

Proof of the child's relationship to the American citizen parent. For the biological child of the American citizen this will be a certified copy of the foreign birth certificate (and translation if not in English). For an adopted child, it is a certified copy of the final adoption decree (and translation if not in English);

The child's foreign passport showing the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS) I-551 stamp in the passport, or the child's permanent resident card (green card);

Proof of identity of the American citizen parent(s)

Passport application, passport photographs and fees. Go to Passport Services for forms and full instructions.

Thanks for your replies everyone! :-)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1312.html#7

You do not have to obtain a citizenship document, you can go right to a passport if that is your wish.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed!!! :-)

Hypnos is correct, just go get your US Passport for your son.You and your son was petitioned by your Husband, a USC. Go get your sons Passport! Good Luck!:thumbs:

Thanks so much!!! Yes we will apply for his passport right away. :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.