carolinadan86

Questions on filling out I-130 for VWP wife

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Hello fellow VJers!

I've got some questions about the I-130 that I'm hoping you all might be able to help me with! Here we go:

Section C2: Do I put our address here in the USA for her, or do we put her address from the Czech Republic? She is obviously living with me here in the USA now.

Section C14: My wife entered the USA on the VWP and therefore does not have a "visa" per-say. She entered legally at an airport but never had to fill out an I-95 on the VWP. Where it says "He or she arrived as a:" I have put "visitor on VWP" Is this appropriate? The "arrival/departure record I-94" section I'm leaving blank as well since she wasn't given an I-94 to fill out. What should I put in the section that reads "Date authorized stay expired, or will expire as shown on form I-94 or I-95"??? Her passport is stamped with her required departure date. Since she doesn't have an I-94 or I-95 should I write in this section the date with a note saying "stamped on passport?"

Section C22 Do we put the city and state of the place we are going to mail the application to even though we might live nearer another office? We live in Florida but it looks like we have to mail the whole application to the Phoenix Lockbox. So, do we put "Phoenix USA" or "Fort Lauderdale, USA" ????

Just a couple of general questions: Throughout the application is it safe to abbreviate things(ie: FL, Rd., Apt.### etc etc) or should I spell it all out (Florida, Road, Apartment)???

Also, the Czechs use the Roman alphabet but they do have accent marks above the letters that we don't have in English. So, does the section about writing her name and address in the non-Roman alphabet apply to us?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help that anyone may be able to offer. I greatly appreciate it!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hopefully you are following this guide along with filling out the I-130??

The reason I ask is that you didn't have any questions regarding other forms.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Yes I'm following the guides, but I just wanted these things cleared up.

Also, from what I understand we should not be putting her maiden name on the documents correct? She doesn't have a social security card or anything like that yet. Just her passport with her maiden name. But she's obviously taking my last name since we are married now. We have no other documentation other than the marriage license to show that her last name should now be the same as mine. So, should we put her new last name on the docs?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Does the marriage license has YOUR last name on it or her maiden name?

If it has her maiden name, i'd put that one (that is what I did)

If it has your name on it, put yours.

BTW, after getting your marriage license, you HAVE to change your maiden name if they didn't

Day 0 08/21/2012 Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131

Day 1 Received the next day via UPS

Day 6 08/27/2012 email and text for all 4

Day 10 08/31/12 NOA1 for all 4 and Biometric appointment for 09/21

Day 18 09/08/12 REF on I-485, waiting for the letter

Day 31 09/21/12 Biometrics done

Day 34 09/24/12 RFE hard copy for I-864

Day 51 10/11/12 RFE Response sent (about 30 days behind)

Day 55 10/15/12 RFE response review

Day 64 10/24/12 Online status changed to EAD/AP Card production

Day 72 11/01/12 EAD/AP Card arrived!!

Day 73 11/02/12 Interview SMS for December 3rd

Day 76 11/05/12 Applied for SSN and HARD COPY of Interview

Day 104 12/03/12 INTERVIEW DAY!!! 9 am Chicago, IL

Timeline

BTW, after getting your marriage license, you HAVE to change your maiden name if they didn't

The official marriage certificate will be arriving in the mail on Tuesday or Wednesday so we still haven't seen it. However, when we filled out the marriage license she was instructed to put her maiden name and we were told that we'd have to go to the Social Security office and the DMV later on to change her name. We would need to bring the marriage certificate as evidence for the name change. The only problem is, she's here on the VWP just visiting so she can't qualify for a social security card or a drivers license. When we go to Social Security they'll need to check her status with Immigration. When they check her status here with immigration aren't they going to see that she has overstayed her VWP and then get her into trouble?

Shouldn't we just be able to send in the I-130, the I-485, and all the other papers with our marriage certificate attached? Her application will be with my last name and they can see that her passport has her maiden name but it shouldn't matter with the marriage certificate right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I kind of have the same situation except I have I-94.

I used my maiden name on all my application even though we already got married. On our marriage certificate, my maiden name is what I used because I only have my passport when we applied for marriage license.

We sent I-130 first because we got confused about attaching evidence of an approved petition to I-485. So we sent I-130 first then waited around 4 months and we got approval no RFE. After that we sent I-485 & I-765 with the attached I-130 approved petition packet with my maiden name still. Got my biometrics done and received my EAD card. No RFE in between those process now were scheduled for an interview. I already applied for SSN with my maiden name because that's what's written on my EAD just waiting for it to come to the mail.

So based on my experience so far, I think it's better for you to use her maiden name and just do all the necessary changes after everything gets approved :yes:

Adjusting from B1/B2

01-30-2012 - Mailed I-130 Petition thru USPS Express Mail

02-05-2012 - Received Email Confirmation with Receipt Number

02-09-2012 - Received I-797C NOA in the mail

05-23-2012 - Received Email that I-130 was Approved

05-29-2012 - Received I-797 Approval Notice

06-13-2012 - Mailed I-485 & I-765 Packet thru USPS Express Mail

06-15-2012 - Packets received by USCIS Chicago Lockbox

06-19-2012 - Received Email that application/petition transferred to National Benefits Center

06-23-2012 - Received I-797C NOA (for I-485 & I-765) in the mail with receipt #'s, USCIS# and payment information

07-12-2012 - Received I-797C NOA for Biometrics Schedule Appointment in the mail

08-06-2012 - Biometrics Appointment taken at local USCIS Office

08-17-2012 - Received Email & Text Status Updated: Card Production for I-765 EAD

08-22-2012 - Received Email & Text Alert: EAD on Production & AOS Interview Schedule

08-22-2012 - Received I-797C NOA for Initial Interview Schedule in the mail

08-25-2012 - Received EAD thru USPS Priority Mail

09-24-2012 - Interview date and we got Approved on the spot

09-24-2012 - Received Text Status Update: Card / Document Production for Green Card

09-25-2012 - Received Text Status Update: Decision: mailed a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status

09-28-2012 - Received Text Status Update: Card / Document Production: We mailed the new card directly to the address we have on file

10-01-2012 - Green Card Received in the mail with I-797 Welcome Notice

Hello fellow VJers!

I've got some questions about the I-130 that I'm hoping you all might be able to help me with! Here we go:

Section C2: Do I put our address here in the USA for her, or do we put her address from the Czech Republic? She is obviously living with me here in the USA now.

Section C14: My wife entered the USA on the VWP and therefore does not have a "visa" per-say. She entered legally at an airport but never had to fill out an I-95 on the VWP. Where it says "He or she arrived as a:" I have put "visitor on VWP" Is this appropriate? The "arrival/departure record I-94" section I'm leaving blank as well since she wasn't given an I-94 to fill out. What should I put in the section that reads "Date authorized stay expired, or will expire as shown on form I-94 or I-95"??? Her passport is stamped with her required departure date. Since she doesn't have an I-94 or I-95 should I write in this section the date with a note saying "stamped on passport?"

Section C22 Do we put the city and state of the place we are going to mail the application to even though we might live nearer another office? We live in Florida but it looks like we have to mail the whole application to the Phoenix Lockbox. So, do we put "Phoenix USA" or "Fort Lauderdale, USA" ????

Just a couple of general questions: Throughout the application is it safe to abbreviate things(ie: FL, Rd., Apt.### etc etc) or should I spell it all out (Florida, Road, Apartment)???

Also, the Czechs use the Roman alphabet but they do have accent marks above the letters that we don't have in English. So, does the section about writing her name and address in the non-Roman alphabet apply to us?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help that anyone may be able to offer. I greatly appreciate it!

USA address.

Put VWP and N/a where applicable.

It does not matter if you put Chicago or local office. You are NOT mailing the thing to Phoenix, so please read again.

You can abbreviate USA things.

Yes, put the name with hachecks and everything where it asks.

You can fill out the application in married name if that is the name she wishes to use.

I kind of have the same situation except I have I-94.

I used my maiden name on all my application even though we already got married. On our marriage certificate, my maiden name is what I used because I only have my passport when we applied for marriage license.

We sent I-130 first because we got confused about attaching evidence of an approved petition to I-485. So we sent I-130 first then waited around 4 months and we got approval no RFE. After that we sent I-485 & I-765 with the attached I-130 approved petition packet with my maiden name still. Got my biometrics done and received my EAD card. No RFE in between those process now were scheduled for an interview. I already applied for SSN with my maiden name because that's what's written on my EAD just waiting for it to come to the mail.

So based on my experience so far, I think it's better for you to use her maiden name and just do all the necessary changes after everything gets approved :yes:

If you do it this way you will have to pay $450 to change the name on your GC. It;s better to apply initially in the married name, if you want to use it.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Doesn't matter! You wife is able to use her maiden or married name now. The marriage licsense counts as proof for the name change. Mostly, on the licsense there's just the maiden name, that doesn't say anything tho. If you wife would like to take your name from now on, fill out the papers with the new name. All the documents, greencard, SS card & drivers licsense will be in the married name too!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.