NikkiWicki

Co Sponsorship in K1

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh my. there are so many things to be bothered about. can anyone enlighten me about this?

my fiance and I are both medical graduates currently here in the philippines. His brother who lives in California, will be our cosponsor. apparently, we wont be able to live in the same roof cause we are going to stay in his mother's place in Chicago. his mother cant be used as a cosponsor, since she is not paying her taxes anymore and is receiving government benefits already. this future brother in law of mine is also the one who shouldered all the finances of my fiance during his stay here while we were in school.

apparently he can be the only one who can sponsor us. Is not living in the same household be a problem? :unsure::unsure::help: :help: :help: :help: :unsure:

03/27/2012- I-129F sent to USCIS

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

04/05/2012- NOA1 hard copy received

07/23/2012- finally some light! RFE via EMAIL

08/05/2012- Sent RFE reply from Philippines

08/09/2012- RFE Reply Response Review Notification Email

08/15/2012- NOA2 Approval via Email

08/22/2012- Hard copy of NOA2 received!

08/24/2012- MNL case number noted!

08/31/2012- Physical Exam at SLEC- Passed!

09/07/2012- Big Day! Interview-> APPROVED!

09/14/2012- CFO Seminar->done!

09/18/2012- Visa on Hand!, CFO Sticker DONE! YAY!!!!

10/04/2012- America Here I Come!!!

10/05/2012- Touchdown Chicago!

Filed: Timeline

Hello! The co-sponsor can be anybody that is a US citizen that has the financial proof. My dad is co-sponsoring for my case, even though I live in Colorado and he is in California. Living under the same roof is not required for a co-sponsor. You still have to fill out the form as the sponsor,even if you don't have a job, etc... but your co-sponsor ALSO has to fill one out. Hope this helps! Good luck!!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

1st, using a co-sponsor for a K-1 visa can be very iffy with the Manila embassy, sort of a case by case decision.

2nd, no where is it written that the co-sponsor and you have to live under the same roof. Being it is family to me is a plus.

When completing the evidence of support, the petitioner and co-sponsor should complete the I-134c plus the I-864 . I have read more than once that including the I-864 increases your odds of having the co-sponsor accepted with a K-1. I would also write a letter explaining about just completing medical school so there is an understanding as to why you need a co-sponsor.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hello! The co-sponsor can be anybody that is a US citizen that has the financial proof. My dad is co-sponsoring for my case, even though I live in Colorado and he is in California. Living under the same roof is not required for a co-sponsor. You still have to fill out the form as the sponsor,even if you don't have a job, etc... but your co-sponsor ALSO has to fill one out. Hope this helps! Good luck!!

thank you for the reply. so did u had your interview already? I had my consponsor fill out the I-134 and I-864 :unsure:

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

Timeline

1st, using a co-sponsor for a K-1 visa can be very iffy with the Manila embassy, sort of a case by case decision.

2nd, no where is it written that the co-sponsor and you have to live under the same roof. Being it is family to me is a plus.

When completing the evidence of support, the petitioner and co-sponsor should complete the I-134c plus the I-864 . I have read more than once that including the I-864 increases your odds of having the co-sponsor accepted with a K-1. I would also write a letter explaining about just completing medical school so there is an understanding as to why you need a co-sponsor.

thanks for the reply HANK! I asked my future brother in law to do an I-864, and I-134 plus a promise to support letter. I told my fiance to cut the chase of writing but come with me to the interview, for him to physcically explain why we need his KUYA so much! haha. omg your reply makes me feel better thank you!!! :thumbs::D :D :D :D

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

Timeline

thanks for the reply HANK! I asked my future brother in law to do an I-864, and I-134 plus a promise to support letter. I told my fiance to cut the chase of writing but come with me to the interview, for him to physcically explain why we need his KUYA so much! haha. omg your reply makes me feel better thank you!!! :thumbs::D :D :D :D

Don't need a letter from your BIL promising to support THAT is what the I-864 states.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Oh my. there are so many things to be bothered about. can anyone enlighten me about this?

my fiance and I are both medical graduates currently here in the philippines. His brother who lives in California, will be our cosponsor. apparently, we wont be able to live in the same roof cause we are going to stay in his mother's place in Chicago. his mother cant be used as a cosponsor, since she is not paying her taxes anymore and is receiving government benefits already. this future brother in law of mine is also the one who shouldered all the finances of my fiance during his stay here while we were in school.

apparently he can be the only one who can sponsor us. Is not living in the same household be a problem? :unsure::unsure::help: :help: :help: :help: :unsure:

Why not marry now and pursue the spouse visa? No problems with joint sponsor, plus the immigrant gets the GC upon US entry and thus can be employed immediately. K1 has the adjustment of status process after the US marriage.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Why not marry now and pursue the spouse visa? No problems with joint sponsor, plus the immigrant gets the GC upon US entry and thus can be employed immediately. K1 has the adjustment of status process after the US marriage.

You forgot to mention that getting married now CANCELS the K-1 visa process and they have to start over with the long wait for a NEW petition to be approved before even being able to apply for a visa.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

oh. I have gone to far to marry now. :unsure:

Don't need a letter from your BIL promising to support THAT is what the I-864 states.

so what does that mean? sorry kinda got lost with THAT? :unsure:

Edited by NikkiWicki

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

Timeline

You forgot to mention that getting married now CANCELS the K-1 visa process and they have to start over with the long wait for a NEW petition to be approved before even being able to apply for a visa.

With both of them living in PI the spouse visa process would likely go more quickly. A viable option for some, not for others.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

oh. I have gone to far to marry now. :unsure:

so what does that mean? sorry kinda got lost with THAT? :unsure:

Brother in law... BIL . Don't need a special letter, the I-864 handles that promise.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

With both of them living in PI the spouse visa process would likely go more quickly. A viable option for some, not for others.

They already have an interview date in October, which is the earliest month available currently. Switching "horses" would put them into next year.

Now if they didn't get approved with a co-sponsor on the K-1 then getting married would be the only viable option. But there have been a couple of K-1s with co-sponsors that got approved recently...

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Wish I knew that before moving back to USA last August :no: I now take back my message about you being helpful :rofl: lol Thanks though.. Good advice...

Timeline

Wish I knew that before moving back to USA last August :no: I now take back my message about you being helpful :rofl: lol Thanks though.. Good advice...

You're not the only one. If I had known what I know now I would of flown back over got married, stayed there and applied while still there to get my wife her visa.

If I had dollar for every if I wish I had done.......... :rofl:

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

They already have an interview date in October, which is the earliest month available currently. Switching "horses" would put them into next year.

Now if they didn't get approved with a co-sponsor on the K-1 then getting married would be the only viable option. But there have been a couple of K-1s with co-sponsors that got approved recently...

I offered the idea not to be faster, but to be an alternative with some pluses and some minuses.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.