beejay

NVC rejected I-864w want I-864

10 posts in this topic

Filed I-130s for my stepchildren as their USC stepparent. My husband became a USC after we filed the petition but before we got to NVC. For AOS we sent in the I-864w along with his naturalization cert and checked "under 18, unmarried, immigrating as the child of a U.S. citizen, and will automatically become a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 upon admission to the U.S"

Today we got an email from NVC saying they wanted an I-864. I called and the woman I talked to at first said she did not know who was qualified to file an I-864w. I explained that my stepchildren would be considered citizens once they entered the US on an immigrant visa because they are the children of a USC currently living in the US. She put me on hold and came back and told me that it was because I was the petitioner and not my husband.

Is she right?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

If you are the petitioner you need to send the affidavit of support form, she is right. It seems to me though, that you would still qualify to send the I-864W unless you don't meet the requirements listed on the instructions pertaining having met your stepkids in person and blah blah.

wuha.jpgdU2lm5.png

N400 Mailed: 12/09/2016

Priority Date: 12/13/2016

Biometrics Appmt: 01/13/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Filed I-130s for my stepchildren as their USC stepparent. My husband became a USC after we filed the petition but before we got to NVC. For AOS we sent in the I-864w along with his naturalization cert and checked "under 18, unmarried, immigrating as the child of a U.S. citizen, and will automatically become a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 upon admission to the U.S"

Today we got an email from NVC saying they wanted an I-864. I called and the woman I talked to at first said she did not know who was qualified to file an I-864w. I explained that my stepchildren would be considered citizens once they entered the US on an immigrant visa because they are the children of a USC currently living in the US. She put me on hold and came back and told me that it was because I was the petitioner and not my husband.

Is she right?

yes she is right, if you filed for her, she will not become a USC through you. Now if her dad would have filed for her as a USC parent, because she will enter and derive citizenship from a parent,then he could have sent the i864W.

she will not derive citizenship through a stepparent so you have to send the i864 as the petitioner.

she is not your biological child or adopted child, she cannot derive citizenship through a stepparent.

If you are the petitioner you need to send the affidavit of support form, she is right. It seems to me though, that you would still qualify to send the I-864W unless you don't meet the requirements listed on the instructions pertaining having met your stepkids in person and blah blah.

I agree with you that since the kids would be citizens once they have entered we should be able to file the I-864w but they are being picky so we complied. Hopefully other people in this situation will be prepared when they get to the AOS NVC stage. I wonder if other adjudicators let it slide.

Even though I have met my stepkids and know them it is not a requirement for the petitioner to have met them like it is for a spousal visa. There are others on this site who have filed without having met their stepkids.

Thanks for the response. :star:

yes she is right, if you filed for her, she will not become a USC through you. Now if her dad would have filed for her as a USC parent, because she will enter and derive citizenship from a parent,then he could have sent the i864W.

she will not derive citizenship through a stepparent so you have to send the i864 as the petitioner.

she is not your biological child or adopted child, she cannot derive citizenship through a stepparent.

That's basically the explanation the woman on the phone gave me after she put me on hold. I just didn't like her explanation as it seems like splitting hairs because the kids will get citizenship through their father, my husband, once they enter so in essence the purpose of the I-864 is void upon entry. At the time we filed he was an LPR which is why I petitioned them instead of them.

Oh well, packet is ready and will be sent off today. Yay paperwork.

I do feel less disgruntled if this was an oversight on my part rather than an arbitrary interpretation of the I-864w by someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

Thanks. :)

That's basically the explanation the woman on the phone gave me after she put me on hold. I just didn't like her explanation as it seems like splitting hairs because the kids will get citizenship through their father, my husband, once they enter so in essence the purpose of the I-864 is void upon entry. At the time we filed he was an LPR which is why I petitioned them instead of them.

Oh well, packet is ready and will be sent off today. Yay paperwork.

I do feel less disgruntled if this was an oversight on my part rather than an arbitrary interpretation of the I-864w by someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

Thanks. :)

I already have both forms completed, and ready although Im far from the NVC process, but I think Im still going to try the W first. It will make my life just a tiny bit less complicated. lol

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

I already have both forms completed, and ready although Im far from the NVC process, but I think Im still going to try the W first. It will make my life just a tiny bit less complicated. lol

I'm rooting for you :thumbs:

Now I'm hoping I did just have a prickly adjudicator and you can get through with the W :)

Filed: IR-2 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Beejay.

I think it's because there are multiple children. I think one of the requirements is that its only one beneficiary. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3197.html this is the NVC pagethat tells you what form to use. Hope that helps?! I could be mixing the multiple beneficiary requirement with the EZ form. Good luck

Beejay.

I think it's because there are multiple children. I think one of the requirements is that its only one beneficiary. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3197.html this is the NVC pagethat tells you what form to use. Hope that helps?! I could be mixing the multiple beneficiary requirement with the EZ form. Good luck

Thanks luvwtrNamy for the response :) That page makes everything more confusing because the table also says if "You are sponsoring a child who will become a U.S. citizen immediately upon entry under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (CCA)", then "Complete an I-864W on your computer using CAPITAL letters". Nothing stating that it must be the qualifying parent who is the petitioner.

Oh well. I decided it was easier to just send the I-864 than try to convince NVC that I should be allowed to file the I-864w. The kids will still be able to apply for US passports once they get here - which we will do- so if NVC wants some extra papers for their file, fine. :P

Perhaps there is a rift in interpretation of who is eligible to file I-864w among the NVCers and I just got one who falls on the stricter side. I am curious to know if others in our situation have been able to file the I-864w.

Hopefully Lucy4 will keep us updated on what happens with her.

Thanks again! Hope you hear soon about the interview!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.