6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi vj

I have been here4 months I want by car I have job I try to build my creadit but it does not work I did every thing now I want by car and pay for it every month is anyway for that I wish help and also if people can tell me about steps can build mycreadit too

Thanks for al

Edited by emad desouky

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You could save up and first buy a clunker to get you going.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It takes a while to build up credit. Unfortunately, the US doesn't 'transfer' credit from your country of origin to here so it can be very frustrating if you have good credit back home to have to start all over again from the beginning. Four months, unfortunately, is not long enough.

One of the best ways to start building a good credit record in the US is to take out a 'secured' credit card. That means you put down a certain amount on the card for example $500 - and then use the card, pay off the amount charged to the card every month and eventually this gets added to your credit score.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/10-questions-before-getting-a-secured-credit-card-1.aspx

The other thing you could do would require you and your spouse to work together. Try to buy a car together so that you can 'piggy back' on her credit rating. Hopefully she has one and it is reasonable. Both of you would 'own' the car and both of your names would be on the loan so you are both responsible for making sure that amount gets paid every month. Don't try to buy a really expensive car, especially if her credit rating isn't excellent. You may have to get 'less' car than you would like for now, then pay off that loan every month and eventually build up enough credit that you will qualify to buy a better car.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would also recommend just buying an old cheap car first and saving up.

Building credit takes quite a while.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi vj

I have been here4 months I want by car I have job I try to build my creadit but it does not work I did every thing now I want by car and pay for it every month is anyway for that I wish help and also if people can tell me about steps can build mycreadit too

Thanks for al

Dont get caught up in the "jones' " I dont know where you are but that is what we Americans do with the idea of establishing credit but there are a lot of negatives in buying a car the $ is a loan.Maybe you should start small.Something that is good s a gym membership that reports to credit agencies frequently, the more positive thins the better on your credit and it is a cheap bill. Get a credit card,use it wisely. If you are a student get a student card easy to get. Or check in school for a class and apply for one they will approve you a lot easier then a regular card as you have no credit probably.Start small you dont want to get a big bill as no work is guaranteed at this time. Good luck and by a run around car, I suggest a Honda that is very used it will run forever.Good luck and have your wife help you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Buy a used car. I prefer VW's and Saab's. I don't have a good impression of honda's or toyota's. Google forums to see what VIN numbers will tell you and I always buy a VIN telling me it was made in Germany.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.