rocks

Ecuador Grants Asylum to Assange, Defying Britain

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

England and Britain are two very different things. Try and learn the difference so you don't look so ignorant.

What is your problem? He's in England, on English soil, why do you insist on calling everything "British"? Is he in Scotland or Wales? No, he's in England.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline

What is your problem? He's in England, on English soil, why do you insist on calling everything "British"? Is he in Scotland or Wales? No, he's in England.

Maybe when you are in London, London is in England and when rocks is in London, London is in Britain.

It would be incredible if a message board conversation is where the final proof of the multiverse theory came from!

Maybe when you are in London, London is in England and when rocks is in London, London is in Britain.

It would be incredible if a message board conversation is where the final proof of the multiverse theory came from!

If you were to ask Evylin where London is, she would prolly say Ontario.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

There is this whole thing in the UK about nationalism where some people identify with their individual country more than the whole. My wife thinks its foolish. Even though she was born in Wales she does not refer to herself as Welsh but British. Others are very nationalistic and ID themselves by their country. This is strongest in Scotland where a percentage of that government actually wants to split from the UK.

There is this whole thing in the UK about nationalism where some people identify with their individual country more than the whole. My wife thinks its foolish. Even though she was born in Wales she does not refer to herself as Welsh but British. Others are very nationalistic and ID themselves by their country. This is strongest in Scotland where a percentage of that government actually wants to split from the UK.

So mawilson is being a nationalist while rocks is being more post-modern?

Timeline

So in a political discussion, the only terms we need to use are England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland and the UK... there really is no need for "Britain" or "British"...

No. In this case Karee was referring to Britain, and the use of England was incorrect. London is in England, yes, but the embassy represents Britain.

Should I confuse you further and tell you that Scotland has different money and laws than England and Wales? Or that Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland have their own languages? :lol:

Here's why you see different flags on profiles here. Some prefer to identify themselves as Scottish or Welsh rather than British, and some English are proud of being English. Others like to represent all of the four countries.

flagsq.jpg

710590_5e5708f5.jpg

4706879-Evan_running_along_the_Name_Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.jpg

Welsh-Flag.jpg

Wales has the coolest flag.

Timeline

So mawilson is being a nationalist while rocks is being more post-modern?

Yep.

OK, both islands are part of the British Isles... does this mean I can call someone from Ireland "British"? Or a "British Islander"?

If you call someone from the Republic of Ireland "British" be prepared to be attacked in some way. :lol: That's kind of like calling a Canadian an American, only far far worse.

No. In this case Karee was referring to Britain, and the use of England was incorrect. London is in England, yes, but the embassy represents Britain.

I thought the embassy represented the UK.

If you call someone from the Republic of Ireland "British" be prepared to be attacked in some way. :lol: That's kind of like calling a Canadian an American, only far far worse.

But if that island is part of the British Isles, then what's the problem?

Timeline

I thought the embassy represented the UK.

But if that island is part of the British Isles, then what's the problem?

The Embassy does represent the UK. Britain is also correct.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a sovereign state located off the north-western coast of continental Europe. The country includes the island of Great Britain, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland and many smaller islands.

The Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles, but it is not part of Britain. If it was we wouldn't have had problems with the IRA.

Timeline

:thumbs:

Scots are definitely the most proud. I was born in England but I have mixed heritage, I would rather refer to myself as British based on that. Who wants to be associated with the St George cross and the racism that goes with it? I would also secretly prefer that I was born in Wales. :lol:

The Embassy does represent the UK. Britain is also correct.

But Britain is only the island, isn't it? So it does not include N. Ireland. So how can that be correct?

The Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles, but it is not part of Britain. If it was we wouldn't have had problems with the IRA.

Then they can be called British Islanders?

Timeline

But Britain is only the island, isn't it? So it does not include N. Ireland. So how can that be correct?

:lol: I knew this was going to get complicated.

Great Britain is the big island of the two British Isles. Britain is the same as the United Kingdom. Two different things.

Then they can be called British Islanders?

That would be weird, kind of like calling a Canadian or a Mexican an American. Taking into account the unrest in Northern Ireland, it would probably be wise not to mention Britain when referring to an Irish person and their nationality. I've seen it happen before by a French person and it isn't pretty!