8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello all,

I am helping my sister with the adjustment of status for her husband but she received an RFE :( so the RFE says she needs to submit an I-864 even if she doesn't meet the income requirements. But what it doesn't say is that an I-864a is needed for income requirements. I feel that these people are trying to delay the process. So does she need someone to fill out the I-864a form??????

Please help me so that her husband can get the resident card. :help: :help: :help:

Thank you all in advance for your feedback :thumbs:

.png

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What exactly was sent to begin with and what exactly does the RFE ask for?

The USC, your sister, needed to provide an I-864 regardless of her income. She is the primary sponsor even is she has no income. The joint sponsor would most likely have filled out their own separate I-864. An I-864A is used for a qualifying household member to combine their income with the income of the sponsor that filled out the I-864. How does the I-864A come into play in your sister's situation?

Need these questions answered for us to be able to help you properly.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

Can her husband supports himself? When I did my AOS, my wife is a USC and she cannot sponsor me either due to low income. But she filled out the i-864 and one section on the form, I put my income and attach with my employment letter. No need I-864A. The instruction of I-864 is very helpful. I would recommend take time read it.

Edited by immibie

Timeline

What exactly was sent to begin with and what exactly does the RFE ask for?

The USC, your sister, needed to provide an I-864 regardless of her income. She is the primary sponsor even is she has no income. The joint sponsor would most likely have filled out their own separate I-864. An I-864A is used for a qualifying household member to combine their income with the income of the sponsor that filled out the I-864. How does the I-864A come into play in your sister's situation?

Need these questions answered for us to be able to help you properly.

Hi thanks for replying. Well my mother filled out the I-864 and my sister didn't. So you are saying that she only needs to send the I-864? I asked about the I -864a because I thought it needed to be filled out. The RFE only asks for her I-864.

.png

.png

Timeline

Can her husband supports himself? When I did my AOS, my wife is a USC and she cannot sponsor me either due to low income. But she filled out the i-864 and one section on the form, I put my income and attach with my employment letter. No need I-864A. The instruction of I-864 is very helpful. I would recommend take time read it.

Hi unfortunately he doesn't make that much income. My mother actually filled out 1st I-864 form. I didn't know my sister had to fill out I-864 even if she didn't meet income requirements.

.png

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi unfortunately he doesn't make that much income. My mother actually filled out 1st I-864 form. I didn't know my sister had to fill out I-864 even if she didn't meet income requirements.

The petitioner always submits an affidavit of support regardless of income.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi thanks for replying. Well my mother filled out the I-864 and my sister didn't. So you are saying that she only needs to send the I-864? I asked about the I -864a because I thought it needed to be filled out. The RFE only asks for her I-864.

They sent the RFE because your sister did not send her required I-864. Your sister needed to fill out her own I-864 and provide her supporting documents with it. Your mother filled out an I-864 and provided her supporting documents as the joint sponsor. They need an affidavit of support from the petitioner/primary sponsor first and foremost, and then also one from any joint sponsor you may need. No I-864A needed in that situation.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

They sent the RFE because your sister did not send her required I-864. Your sister needed to fill out her own I-864 and provide her supporting documents with it. Your mother filled out an I-864 and provided her supporting documents as the joint sponsor. They need an affidavit of support from the petitioner/primary sponsor first and foremost, and then also one from any joint sponsor you may need. No I-864A needed in that situation.

Thank you so much for the clarification :)

.png

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.