VeeNDee

Enhanced driver's license after receiving K! before POE

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If I get the K1 visa in my passport but don't want to activate it for the move yet, but would like to keep visiting my fiance in the USA in the meantime, is it possible to use an enhanced driver's license instead of my passport? That way theoretically I could still enter without activating the visa. I have a few concerns with this idea.

First of all, by not using the passport with this visa, would the government consider this a type of fraudulent entry? Could I have any consequences for not using my passport with the visa inside?

Secondly, would they be suspicious because I use an enhanced driver's license when up until now I've always used my passport? Would that show up as some type of a flag because they may need to enter the information into their computer differently or whatever?

Do you think if I cross I should take along my passport in my bag just in case? Or leave it at home?

Will they ask me about why I'm not using my passport and if so what do I say as a reply?

Would the government know I have a valid visa when they enter in the enhanced driver's license in their computer and be upset about that?

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? It would make it SO so so much easier timing wise but I don't want to have any problems!

Thanks in advance for any help!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You're still the same person and entering the US regardless of which kind of ID you use. You're better off being honest at the boarder and asking if you can postpone your K1 POE/not activate it. There are a few topics about it on VJ already - maybe it was Krikit who has written about it, I'm not sure.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

Thanks for the reply moomin. I've been trying to find posts about it on VJ but so far all I can find are people asking the same question but using NEXUS instead and I don't have NEXUS - and from my understanding at Nexus you don't always have to talk to a guard so it is probably a bit different. I agree honesty is the best policy - but is it wrong to do use my license? If I say I am using my license so I don't have to use my passport will they be okay with that?

P.S. If you can find the posts about the EDL please link because I have am having 0 luck!

Edited by VeeNDee

VeeNDee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Alrighty, here's one however it is an old topic; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/120931-going-to-the-us-and-not-activating-a-k1-visa/

Here's one more; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/275671-visiting-us-after-k-1-issued-but-without-using-the-k-1/

Sometimes it's the kaywords that are wrong when using the search field. I admit that I have not read nor had any experience myself with being a Canadian entering with EDL after visa issuance so I'd hope someone with experience pops up.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

Thanks again moomin. After reading through those two links a few things jumped out at me. Someone said you can only have one valid visa at a time, so if I have a K1 visa I shouldn't be able to have a normal visitor's visa that all Canadians have... but it sounds like I may be able to get past that problem by asking not to activate.

The thing is, if I use my enhanced driver's license would they even know I have a visa to activate? I guess that is where it seems a little sketchy and makes me uncomfortable. So maybe not a great idea. I'm just frustrated - if they are going to allow me in the country anyway why not just let me visit a few times before allowing me in permanently - I've been cleared already!

Krikit mentioned something about 'delay of issuance' which is interesting. I need to look into that further. My fear with 'delay of issuance' would be that it would be too MUCH of a delay and cause problems when I did actually want it in my passport. Time to investigate!

VeeNDee

From what I remember reading on here over the past 6 months, some people have had success and some have not. It all comes down to the border and what they feel like doing. You can ask them next time you cross, and see what they say.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Timeline

If you are driving I would have no problem whatsoever using the enhanced license to cross. You are not doing anything illegal.

Informational: All they see is basic information when a passport or NEXUS pass or enhanced license is swiped. The only time they can see a visa is if they open the passport and flip through the pages. There is no set policy which states a visa must be endorsed (not "activated") at the POE but that is only something you want to try if you are prepared to be turned back. If you have travel plans you may want to look at delaying your interview until you are ready to immigrate. If you request a postponement of the issuance of the visa at the interview you will definitely experience a delay in that process.

iagree.gif

Timeline

If you are driving I would have no problem whatsoever using the enhanced license to cross. You are not doing anything illegal.

That is what I was wondering about - thanks Krikit. I guess I should carry my passport along just in case in my bag if they ask about it?

VeeNDee

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the reply moomin. I've been trying to find posts about it on VJ but so far all I can find are people asking the same question but using NEXUS instead and I don't have NEXUS - and from my understanding at Nexus you don't always have to talk to a guard so it is probably a bit different. I agree honesty is the best policy - but is it wrong to do use my license? If I say I am using my license so I don't have to use my passport will they be okay with that?

P.S. If you can find the posts about the EDL please link because I have am having 0 luck!

I have a Nexus pass and I have to talk to a guard every time I come back to the US (and I'm the USC). They just usually waive me through on the Canadian side though.

Married 10-27-2011

I-130 Sent : 11-12-2011

I-130 NOA1 : 11-22-2011

I-130 Approved : 5-25-2012

NVC Received : 6-19-2012

Received NVC Case # : 6-22-2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 7-9-2012

Pay I-864 Bill 7-9-2012

Receive I-864 Package : 7-10-2012

Return Completed I-864 :7-10-2012

Receive IV Bill : 7-17-2012

Pay IV Bill : 7-18-2012

Emailed DS-260: 7-22-2012

RFE: 7-30-2012

Sent RFE docs: 7-31-2012

Case Complete 8-7-2012

Interview Date: 9-24-2012

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!! YEA!!

POE:9/29/2012

as1cJWP0g410500MDAwMTQwOGx8MDAwOT dzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGdvdCBtYXJyaWVk.gif

event.png [/url][/img]

event.png

Timeline

If I get the K1 visa in my passport but don't want to activate it for the move yet, but would like to keep visiting my fiance in the USA in the meantime, is it possible to use an enhanced driver's license instead of my passport? That way theoretically I could still enter without activating the visa. I have a few concerns with this idea.

First of all, by not using the passport with this visa, would the government consider this a type of fraudulent entry? Could I have any consequences for not using my passport with the visa inside?

Secondly, would they be suspicious because I use an enhanced driver's license when up until now I've always used my passport? Would that show up as some type of a flag because they may need to enter the information into their computer differently or whatever?

Do you think if I cross I should take along my passport in my bag just in case? Or leave it at home?

Will they ask me about why I'm not using my passport and if so what do I say as a reply?

Would the government know I have a valid visa when they enter in the enhanced driver's license in their computer and be upset about that?

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? It would make it SO so so much easier timing wise but I don't want to have any problems!

When I crossed over at Lewiston a few times in May to visit my then fiance, I told the CBA that the K1 visa was issued but I would not be activating it until mid June. They had no problem with this at all.

Hope this helps out.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

When I crossed over at Lewiston a few times in May to visit my then fiance, I told the CBA that the K1 visa was issued but I would not be activating it until mid June. They had no problem with this at all.

Hope this helps out.

As 1 learns, each POE officer sees things differently. In the past, there have been a few (very few) people report back that the POE officer would not let them in! Doesnt make much sense, as why would someone go to al lthe hassles of going thru the correct procedures and then do something illegal?? You will prob be fine! best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm so glad Krikit gave me the link to this thread! I am in the exact same situation! I was just about to book my medical and interview, but have 3 more trips to the US this year and I want to spend Christmas with my family in Canada. If you end up trying out your enhanced license, let me know how it goes. I plan on emailing the Vancouver Consulate on Monday to see what their thoughts are on delayed activation of K-1. Also, I plan on asking the Border Patrol person during my next visit to see what his/her thoughts are. I go to the US about once a month and the border people are always very nice! :) Still...I don't want to get my Visa now and then chance it for THREE visits. :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was in the same boat...had pending trips to the US after visa potentially was issued but after research and confirmation from MTL I cancelled my interview (without problems). Confirmation from MTL stated it was entirely up to the border patrol agent processing my entry to the states and could not guarantee that I had a choice in activating k1 visa or not. Knowing this I chose to reschedule my interview in MTL even though I would be using nexus to enter the states at YYZ. To me, its not worth the hassle, expense and disappointment to be denied. I chose to postpone the interview and wait. I've waited eight years now...I can wait a little longer.

Timeline

I'm so glad Krikit gave me the link to this thread! I am in the exact same situation! I was just about to book my medical and interview, but have 3 more trips to the US this year and I want to spend Christmas with my family in Canada. If you end up trying out your enhanced license, let me know how it goes. I plan on emailing the Vancouver Consulate on Monday to see what their thoughts are on delayed activation of K-1. Also, I plan on asking the Border Patrol person during my next visit to see what his/her thoughts are. I go to the US about once a month and the border people are always very nice! :) Still...I don't want to get my Visa now and then chance it for THREE visits. :(

Nancycakes if you hear anything from the consulate or the border patrol person please let me know. I crossed over just yesterday to visit my fiance but was too chicken to ask any questions (since last time I got sent to secondary). This crossing went fine but questions and border agents, ay yi yi. Maybe the consulate will have helpful info. Keep in touch!!

VeeNDee

Timeline

asking a POE officer is pretty much useless---as each one has their own view! The odds are you will be fine. Prob the worst case scenario is they say no and turn you around.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.