mmiller2001

Pre-departure Checklist

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is their anything I should take to the Philippines(forms/passport style photos..ect) to be completed before filing. I leave in 56 days and would like to be "ahead" of the game. Should their be anything I get from her to bring back with me? Maybe their's a link with this information?

Thank you

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Is their anything I should take to the Philippines(forms/passport style photos..ect) to be completed before filing. I leave in 56 days and would like to be "ahead" of the game. Should their be anything I get from her to bring back with me? Maybe their's a link with this information?

Thank you

get passport pictures from her is a big one... i had to wait to get them from my fiancé after i left him...

i took the most recent phone records, skype records, emails, gtalk , chat records to my fiancé up to the time we met for him to keep for his interview. that just cut down on the amount of paperwork i had to send him and stuff.

you will need a paper saying you plan to marry within 90 days of her coming her, i would type that out and have her sign that before you leave and bring it with you.

our paper said:

I ____________ plan to marry _________________ within 90 days of him reaching the US. We are both free and willing to marry each other

my name

address

phone number

and email address

also she will need to sign the forms you have to send into the USCIS, print the forms out and make sure she fills them out and signs them before you leave.

make sure you take a load of pictures and that they are dated (together pictures).

save your plane tickets, the baggage claim tickets, bus tickets, hotel receipts, food recipes, if you have ring keep that receipts too....

Thank you

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

Rachel & Tom <3

Timeline

get passport pictures from her is a big one... i had to wait to get them from my fiancé after i left him...

i took the most recent phone records, skype records, emails, gtalk , chat records to my fiancé up to the time we met for him to keep for his interview. that just cut down on the amount of paperwork i had to send him and stuff.

you will need a paper saying you plan to marry within 90 days of her coming her, i would type that out and have her sign that before you leave and bring it with you.

our paper said:

I ____________ plan to marry _________________ within 90 days of him reaching the US. We are both free and willing to marry each other

my name

address

phone number

and email address

also she will need to sign the forms you have to send into the USCIS, print the forms out and make sure she fills them out and signs them before you leave.

make sure you take a load of pictures and that they are dated (together pictures).

save your plane tickets, the baggage claim tickets, bus tickets, hotel receipts, food recipes, if you have ring keep that receipts too....

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

I have saved all our conversations and western union receipts and send them to her via email. So she has all of those. I assume I need to get copies of work income and take her a copy also?

Will she need a copy of my birth certificate?

Edited by mmiller2001

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hold your horses cowboy cool.gif

According to your Timeline, you haven't filed the petition just yet; so to clarify. Is this correct? or Will this visit be prior to her interview?

Have you read the guides? http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Timeline

Hold your horses cowboy cool.gif

According to your Timeline, you haven't filed the petition just yet; so to clarify. Is this correct? or Will this visit be prior to her interview?

Have you read the guides? http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Yes, I have not filed anything yet as I will be traveling to see her for the first time on Oct. 8th

My goal is to take anything I can, or get anything from her that we will need to have prior to filing.

Yes, I have read it and keep reading it over and over because I'm so nervous about going through this on my own.

Edited by mmiller2001

event.png

Timeline

Yes, I have not filed anything yet as I will be traveling to see her for the first time on Oct. 8th

My goal is to take anything I can, or get anything from her that we will need to have prior to filing.

Are you planning on to mail the petition from Philippines or will you wait until you get back home?

Timeline

When I get back. Oct 19th plus a few days of travel recovery.

Ok so if that's the case, YOU don't need to take anything there; you will, however, bring back all the things you'll need from her.

Read the guide I linked you to, and follow the check list.

Disregard anything that would need to come from you, and concentrate on the things you will need from her: the passport pictures, the form, the letter of intent.

Most importantly, while you are there, document the visit with tons of pictures of the two of you and with her family. Save all boarding passes!!!!! and everything else with a date on it, that can establish that you've been a X place at X date with her.good.gif

Assembling the I-129F Package: Checklist faqs.gif

Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.):<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; ">1.Payment as required by USCIS. Use a personal check so you can track the payment. Money Orders are also accepted.2.Cover Letter (see example). Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-129F), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.3.Form I-129F: Petition for Alien Fiance(e) (see example)4.Declaration of how you met in person in the last two years. This should be a single typed page attachment regarding question 18 of the I-129F. Make sure to sign and date it.5.Original statements (from both the US Citizen and foreign fiance) certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US on a valid K-1. (see example)6.Proof of having met in past two years. (click here for examples)7.G-325A filled out by the US Citizen signed and dated (see example).8.One passport-type photo (see specification) of the US Citizen. Write the full name of the US citizen on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert US Citizen's Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.9.G-325A filled out by the foreign fiance(e) signed and dated (see example).10.One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign fiance(e). Write the full name of the foreign fiance(e) on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert foreign fiance(e) name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.11.Copy of the Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years or a copy of the US Citizen's naturalization certificate (front and back). This is used to establish citizenship.12.Copy of final Divorce Decree(s) or Certificate(s) for the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) if either has been previously married. If the previous marriage of the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) ended due to the death of their spouse then include a Copy of Death Certificate(s) documenting that fact.13.Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.14.In regards to Section C Question 2, if applicable provide certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and dispositions for any specified conviction(s) (in accordance with the IMBRA). See section 9 of the I-129f instructions for more information.

Timeline

Ok so if that's the case, YOU don't need to take anything there; you will, however, bring back all the things you'll need from her.

Read the guide I linked you to, and follow the check list.

Disregard anything that would need to come from you, and concentrate on the things you will need from her: the passport pictures, the form, the letter of intent.

Most importantly, while you are there, document the visit with tons of pictures of the two of you and with her family. Save all boarding passes!!!!! and everything else with a date on it, that can establish that you've been a X place at X date with her.good.gif

Assembling the I-129F Package: Checklist faqs.gif

Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.):<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; ">1.Payment as required by USCIS. Use a personal check so you can track the payment. Money Orders are also accepted.2.Cover Letter (see example). Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-129F), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.3.Form I-129F: Petition for Alien Fiance(e) (see example)4.Declaration of how you met in person in the last two years. This should be a single typed page attachment regarding question 18 of the I-129F. Make sure to sign and date it.5.Original statements (from both the US Citizen and foreign fiance) certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US on a valid K-1. (see example)6.Proof of having met in past two years. (click here for examples)7.G-325A filled out by the US Citizen signed and dated (see example).8.One passport-type photo (see specification) of the US Citizen. Write the full name of the US citizen on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert US Citizen's Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.9.G-325A filled out by the foreign fiance(e) signed and dated (see example).10.One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign fiance(e). Write the full name of the foreign fiance(e) on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert foreign fiance(e) name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.11.Copy of the Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years or a copy of the US Citizen's naturalization certificate (front and back). This is used to establish citizenship.12.Copy of final Divorce Decree(s) or Certificate(s) for the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) if either has been previously married. If the previous marriage of the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) ended due to the death of their spouse then include a Copy of Death Certificate(s) documenting that fact.13.Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.14.In regards to Section C Question 2, if applicable provide certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and dispositions for any specified conviction(s) (in accordance with the IMBRA). See section 9 of the I-129f instructions for more information.

Ok, awesome and thank you all very much.

event.png

The best advice I can give you is to go over, and enjoy your time with your intended fiance. Get to know her and let her get to know you. Meet her family and take a little time to see her neighborhood. Take lots of pictures of you together as a couple in front of easily recognizable places in the Philippines. After your visit, come back, read the forums here and pay attention to the details when filling out the forms. Do not get too ahead of the game. Some of the forms that are required have a time limit. Just do what is necessary at the time.

The Philippines is a wonderful place and there is lots to see and do when you are there. The people that I met were friendly and went out of their way to insure that I was taken care of.

Also realize that this procedure takes time. Many months of waiting time being seperated from your intended so emotions on both sides will be tested to the breaking point. In the end it will be worth the wait.

Good luck in your journey.

Edited by des1867

11/30/11 Mailed K-1 petition

12/5/11 NOA1

12/13/11 Touched

5/8/12 Called USCIS for OUT OF NORMAL PROCESSING TIME inquiry

5/10/12 received email from VSC stating to wait 60 more days for decision

6/25/12 emailed my congressman

6/29/12 congressman's caseworker called me to gather more information about my case

6/29/12 sent request to state senator for an official inquiry into my case

7/3/12 Touched

7/3/12 text and email received for NOA2 approval

7/9/12 Received NOA2 hard copy in the mail

7/16/12 Called and received NVC Case Number

7/18/12 Called NVC and was told my case was in "additional processing"

7/27/12 Called NVC and was told my case is in "administrative processing"

8/2/12 Called NVC and was told my case is on the way to Manila.

8/6/12 Petition arrived in Manila

8/7/12 Called and obtained Embassy Interview Date, received appointment letter in email

Interview Date : 9/13/12

8/8/12 Fiance passed medical exam at SLEC

8/10/12 Fiance took CFO seminar

8/10/12 NVC letter arrived in mail (hardcopy)

8/13/12 Called the US Traveldocs number and asked to have earlier interview from 9/13/12 to 8/17/12

8/15/12 Interview Instruction Letter arrived in email

8/17/12 Interview date

8/17/12 Interview complete, 221g issued to send NSO CENOMAR to embassy through 2go

8/31/12 Called Senator to ask for inquiry at embassy.

8/31/12 Visa approved

8/31/12 Visa printed

9/5/12 2GO Courier service has visa in transit

9/6/12 2go Courier delivered VISA at 4:30 pm

9/6/12 Ticket purchased for flight leaving 9/8/12 POE Chicago

9/8/12 Arrived in USA

Timeline

Oh yes. This trip is a full family event. I'm staying with her parents and just a few days in Cebu to attend her college graduation. This trip is for personal bonding with almost no Site seeing. I'm formally asking her parents for her hand in marriage and all my time will be dedicated to building my new family relations.

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Thank you

make sure get her G-325A completed don't forget to let her sign it...make sure the photos has date/time stamp on it..her letter of intent..passport photos has to be US style passport photos...make sure bring ALL the receipt while you there in pinas....such motel/hotel/condo or etc. oh yah your boarding pass...make sure you keep those...

***DO NOT FORGET TO CHECK THE CRIMINAL BACKGROUND YES "OR" NO*** I got an rfe because of that :bonk: it kind of tricky that question because it ask right after a military ONLY question.

goodluck

Edited by takis

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.