Rachie07

How to get a mobile phone set up in the USA / Interview

16 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else was able to take a UK handset (blackberry) to the US and put a US sim in it? I remember asking the US and here in the UK and no one at the phone shops seems to know. As I have brought my phone outright it would be a shame not to use it.

It probably seems so trival to ask but if anyone could share their experiences I would be so grateful!

In relation to the interview, I passed my medical in London and was told all would be okay but has anyone passed a medical in London and then received a RFE at the interview? I disclosed I suffered from depression (reactive depression) about 4 years ago and the doctor said she was satified with the letter but could the embassay request I undergo a psych evaluation? Has this happened to anyone else on here? Also has being 6/7 months pregnant prevented them issuing a visa? I am perhaps worrying unnecessarily but I just want to be prepared for every eventuality.

Thank you for the shipping threads by the way, they have been so useful! I wasnt as ruthless getting rid of CDs/books as I expected!

Thanks in advance all :thumbs:

I love my husband!!

I-130 sent - 9/5/2011

NOA 1 received and routed to CSC - 9/22/2011

Petition Touched - 9/27/2011

Expedite Request sent - 02/24/2012

NOA 2 - 03/21/2012 (without need for expedite)

NVC Receive - 04/09/2012

Case Number Assigned -

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else was able to take a UK handset (blackberry) to the US and put a US sim in it? I remember asking the US and here in the UK and no one at the phone shops seems to know. As I have brought my phone outright it would be a shame not to use it.

It probably seems so trival to ask but if anyone could share their experiences I would be so grateful!

In relation to the interview, I passed my medical in London and was told all would be okay but has anyone passed a medical in London and then received a RFE at the interview? I disclosed I suffered from depression (reactive depression) about 4 years ago and the doctor said she was satified with the letter but could the embassay request I undergo a psych evaluation? Has this happened to anyone else on here? Also has being 6/7 months pregnant prevented them issuing a visa? I am perhaps worrying unnecessarily but I just want to be prepared for every eventuality.

Thank you for the shipping threads by the way, they have been so useful! I wasnt as ruthless getting rid of CDs/books as I expected!

I think we had tried to do that with my step sons blackberry but it didn't seem to work -- to be honest -- phones are so cheap here -- if you get on a contract they practically give them away -- its worth looking into.

Hope this helps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only way that you can use a phone from another country in the US is if the phone is unlocked meaning it is not locked to a specific phone company. For example I had a wireless phone from Rogers in Canada and when I turned the phone on it said Rogers. That means the phone is locked to Rogers in Canada and can not be used on another network other than roaming and paying high fees to roam.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

Hi

On my visits to the US, I've been using a AT&T pay as you go sim card. It costs $2/day for unlimited calls and texts and you only pay if you receive or make calls/texts. I used this in my iPhone on my visits to see my fiancee. The only problem with the pay as you go is that it does not include data for smart phones.

As mentioned above, you can get phones pretty cheap out in the US. What might be a good option is to sell your Blackberry (the phone buying companies offer decent values like www.mazumamobile.com) and then just get a new phone on a contract out in the US.

I've been around awhile and don't recall anybody having issues with the medical by the guys at the embassy, nor with pregnancy being an issue. Will your doctor clear you to travel? And the airlines? I was just thinking they probably don't like to deliver babies enroute in case they come early. Or will you have the baby in the UK?

My husband uses a t-mobile sim card in his UK phone. But over here, it's all so tied up in contracts and "free phones" and buying a sim card off the shelf isn't as straight forward as you might hope.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I cant see any reason why my doctor wouldnt clear me to fly. My midwife knows that a move to the US may be happening and I think I'll hopefully be flying around the 32 week mark. Delta have said they are happy for me to fly with a note from my doctor. I think if I have any hold ups at Embassay with RFE's or AP I will have to have my baby here but we're hoping we can have him in the USA.

I brought my blackberry outright so I was hoping I could simply bring it out. I spoke to o2 and they are sending my the unlock code for the device so I can hopefully put in a sim. T-mobile seemed to do sim only contracts. On first look, it seemed good value to buy a phone on contract but when they add on line rental its crazy! Ill get my husband to look into it in more detail for me too so I can simply put the sim in the phone the next day. I wanted a smartphone so I can email family and friends at home.

I love my husband!!

I-130 sent - 9/5/2011

NVC Receive - 04/09/2012

Case Number Assigned -

Timeline

I got my orange handset unlocked a couple of years ago and put a US sim card in whenever i've been in the US. I just called orange and paid £20 I think...might be remembering the cost incorrectly but it was cheaper than buying a new phone of the same standard!

Our Journey
Aug 2nd '11...love at first sight???
Aug 4th '11...first date!
Feb 19th '12...ENGAGED!!!!!

Our I-129 Journey
Feb 23rd '12...I-129F mailed
Feb 28th '12...NOA1
AUGUST 17th '12...NOA2 APPROVED!!!!!

Our VISA Journey!
Aug 27th '12 NVC received petition and issued LND number
Sept 7th '12 ALL forms mailed to embassy!
Sept 10th '12 Medical
NOV 1st '12 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!!!!

Nov 9th '12 POE Baltimore biggrin.png
Nov 11th '12 WEDDING

Our AOS/ED Journey!
Dec 13th '12 AOS/ED forms sent
Dec 19th '12 NOA1
Jan 11th '13 BIOMETRICS
Feb 11th '13 ED APPROVED!!!

Aug 23rd '13 AOS RFE

Sept 23rd '13 AOS DECISION...APPROVED!!!

My husband uses a t-mobile sim card in his UK phone. But over here, it's all so tied up in contracts and "free phones" and buying a sim card off the shelf isn't as straight forward as you might hope.

We did this with no problem:

He has a UK iPhone 3S. We took that phone to T-mobile and said that we already had a phone, but we wanted a SIM card with a pay-as-you-go plan... we found one with them for $30/month, 100 minutes, unlimited text and data. Everything works perfectly, and we're going to have him use that until the new iPhone 5 comes out :)

Edited by orangedesk

Timeline

you just need to take your UK phone to a highstreet phone store (not a franchies like 02) and get it unblocked.

K1

02/09/12 I-129F Sent
02/15/12 NOA1 Received
06/29/12 NOA2 - APPROVED (135 days No RFE's)
07/26/12 UK Medical
07/28/12 Packet 3 received
07/31/12 Visa Fee paid & Packet 3 Sent. (with DS-2001)
08/21/12 Packet 4 received
09/07/12 K1 Interview - APPROVED (205 days No RFE's)
09/13/12 Passport/Visa & Package Received
12/10/12 P.O.E in Las Vegas, NV
12/12/12 Got Marriage License
12/14/12 MARRIED

AOS

12/27/12 Applied for SSC
12/28/12 Received Marriage Certificate
12/28/12 Recieved Marriage Certificate
01/02/13 Received SSC
01/07/13 AOS Sent
01/10/13 NOA Received
02/07/13 Biometrics
03/11/13 EAD & AP Approved (63 days)
03/14/13 EAD & AP card received
03/27/13 AOS Interview - *Error with Medical Certificate*

05/23/13 US Medical

05/29/13 New Medical Certificate Sent

06/07/13 AOS Approved

06/12/13 Green Card Arrived

When my AT&T phone started acting weird I contacted T-Mobile UK, they sent me the unlock code for my old phone and now I'm using that.

Timeline

I am just about to call T mobile UK & enquire about transferring my contract over there. I am in the midst of my 18 month contract over here so I would have to terminate it & pay the cancellation fee. I believe it's possible to transfer your contract to T Mobile US though but I am going to find out if it's beneficial financially as it might be cheaper for me to get a new contract out there using my UK phone, providing I get it unlocked.

I also used AT & T pay as you go every time I visited & it was great. The SIM is valid for 12 months once you purchase it. $50 credit per month gives you unlimited texts & calls within the US. An additional $10 gives you 100 mins per month to call any UK land line so you can keep in touch with everyone at home & if you choose to unlock your UK phone & put the pay as you go SIM in, not all the features will work unless you add on another $10 for a data package. I just used the simple $20 handset that comes with the SIM as I hadn't unlocked my UK phone yet but I will once I move. So that's $70 a month which my fiance said was great value as he already has gets a subsidised bill through his work & he still pays more. Calling the UK is expensive unless you get a call abroad package. Not all my friends & family use skype so it was a good option for me.

Timeline

I am just about to call T mobile UK & enquire about transferring my contract over there. I am in the midst of my 18 month contract over here so I would have to terminate it & pay the cancellation fee. I believe it's possible to transfer your contract to T Mobile US though but I am going to find out if it's beneficial financially as it might be cheaper for me to get a new contract out there using my UK phone, providing I get it unlocked.

I also used AT & T pay as you go every time I visited & it was great. The SIM is valid for 12 months once you purchase it. $50 credit per month gives you unlimited texts & calls within the US. An additional $10 gives you 100 mins per month to call any UK land line so you can keep in touch with everyone at home & if you choose to unlock your UK phone & put the pay as you go SIM in, not all the features will work unless you add on another $10 for a data package. I just used the simple $20 handset that comes with the SIM as I hadn't unlocked my UK phone yet but I will once I move. So that's $70 a month which my fiance said was great value as he already has gets a subsidised bill through his work & he still pays more. Calling the UK is expensive unless you get a call abroad package. Not all my friends & family use skype so it was a good option for me.

Bad news guys, after being on hold for about 28 mins lol, they informed me that although they used to do a contract transfer service between the UK & US, it wasn't popular so they stopped doing it blush.gif

So I will either pass my contract on to a friend or family member or pay the cancellation fee. I got the unlock code though so I can use my handset over there & it was only £15. Most contracts in the US allow you to add your spouse/family to your phone plan so that's what my fiance is going to do.

How much is the cancellation fee? If its not too bad it could be worth it or you could find someone to take up your contract and keep your phone? Its so odd because its the same company, I would have thought they would have switched you to a plan in the US that was akin to the one you were on?

I spoke to o2 and they have sent me details of how to unlock my blackberry but its far too complicated for me and I wouldnt trust myself to do it. I am going to go into the o2 shop and have them do it for me (at least they are responsible if it goes wrong). T Mobile seem to have good plans and not too different to what I am paying for my blackberry in the UK.

If you are with o2 on their simplicity plan, you can cancel your contract (with thirty days notice) and they will let you keep your old number by sending out a pay as you go sim, which you can top up and use when you come back to the UK. That will mean when you visit you will always have a phone to use here. Bad news for me is my contact finishes the day before I hope to fly out so I will have to use the pay and go sim and pay my bill still. If you can time it just right, its pretty good.

I love my husband!!

I-130 sent - 9/5/2011

NVC Receive - 04/09/2012

Case Number Assigned -

Timeline

How much is the cancellation fee? If its not too bad it could be worth it or you could find someone to take up your contract and keep your phone? Its so odd because its the same company, I would have thought they would have switched you to a plan in the US that was akin to the one you were on?

I spoke to o2 and they have sent me details of how to unlock my blackberry but its far too complicated for me and I wouldnt trust myself to do it. I am going to go into the o2 shop and have them do it for me (at least they are responsible if it goes wrong). T Mobile seem to have good plans and not too different to what I am paying for my blackberry in the UK.

If you are with o2 on their simplicity plan, you can cancel your contract (with thirty days notice) and they will let you keep your old number by sending out a pay as you go sim, which you can top up and use when you come back to the UK. That will mean when you visit you will always have a phone to use here. Bad news for me is my contact finishes the day before I hope to fly out so I will have to use the pay and go sim and pay my bill still. If you can time it just right, its pretty good.

The cancellation fee is basically what I would have had to pay each month until my contract is up. I have about 5 months left so roughly £150. I don't have an interview yet but I am hoping it will be sometime next month so looking to move in October possibly. Yeah I was disappointed they couldn't help me out but they talked me through the option of giving my contract to someone else to not waste money but it is stupid seen as it's the same company. They said even though they are technically the same company, they are run totally separate to the UK company.

Unlocking BB's is tricky so you're right to go to the shop. My fiance says he will put me on his phone plan which his work gets subsidised for him which is great for me. I also have to give 30 days notice to cancel, didn't ask about keeping my old number but I do have a spare Virgin sim lying around somewhere for when I come back to visit. Are you not keeping your UK bank account active just in case you ever need it? If there's any bills to go out after my cancellation, they will go from my account which I won't be closing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.