Dubs

Question Regarding Border Crossing

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

This might be a dumb question but I want all areas covered before going!

My parents are driving me to NYC from Canada and will be crossing the border with me...should they have documentation that proves that they will be returning to Canada? Will that be acceptable? My mom has her job contract as proof but my dad is retired and they don't have a mortgage anymore so they can't bring that .. if he brings his property tax bill or pension will that be sufficient?

Again, i realize this probably won't be an issue but you never know

So if anyone has prepared for this, any info would be great.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I had a friend's grandmother and grandfather drive them across the border with no jobs or any proof of returning. They both had passports and a house in Canada, so I guess that was proof enough. That was also about 8 years ago, before you needed a passport to cross Canada. Not sure if things have changed since then, but it most likely won't cause you any issues as long as they will be returning :thumbs:

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They can indicate they are visiting (and when they're returning) and that they are helping you move (you of course will have your VISA in your passport to show)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Hi everyone,

This might be a dumb question but I want all areas covered before going!

My parents are driving me to NYC from Canada and will be crossing the border with me...should they have documentation that proves that they will be returning to Canada? Will that be acceptable? My mom has her job contract as proof but my dad is retired and they don't have a mortgage anymore so they can't bring that .. if he brings his property tax bill or pension will that be sufficient?

Again, i realize this probably won't be an issue but you never know

So if anyone has prepared for this, any info would be great.

Thanks!

It shouldn't be an issue at all.

When I did my POE, I had all my things packed into my dad's car. He then drove me across the border (to Burlington, Vermont where my rental car was waiting so I could drive the rest of the way to South Dakota). They didn't even ask my dad any questions. I just told them he was driving me to Vermont and he'd be returning to Canada in a few hours.

Timeline

Great! I didn't think it would be a problem but wanted to cover all bases because you just never know and its better to be prepared than not .. especially since its the final step in the long distance part of this process :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's good to check these things. Most Canadians, remember, don't need to show ties to the US - their claims to be temporary visitors are, in the vast vast majority of cases, accepted at face value. It's just those of us with USC significant others and future immigrant intent that need to show ties to Canada.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's good to check these things. Most Canadians, remember, don't need to show ties to the US - their claims to be temporary visitors are, in the vast vast majority of cases, accepted at face value. It's just those of us with USC significant others and future immigrant intent that need to show ties to Canada.

Years ago my parents flew to come to visit us in Rhode Island, and they got a lot from questions from the USA POE officer. Almsot did not let them come in. Everyone should be prepared--as the onus is on that person to show the POE officer they are going to return. Yes 99.999% of the time they dont even ask, but always good to be prepared

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

My parents didn't bring any proof of ties. The officers were really more concerned with me and my K1 visa. When the officer was processing it, he simply asked me when are your parents going home. I told him about a week or so (they drove to Cali and back so they spent about a week and a half).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.