BennyJax

Traveling back home on a conditional Green card question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Taiwan
Timeline

My wife just got her conditional GC. She was thinking about traveling back home for 1.5 months. We also have a four day vacation to Costa Rica later this year. Then next January we plan on going back to her country for less than 3-5 months.

After that we don't have travel plans, but hopefully will travel out of the country for vacation but no longer than a month easily.

She's worried that she'll be traveling too much on her GC and that immigration will feel that she doesn't want to stay in the US. She looked online (some Chinese website or forum) and got worried after reading other people saying don't travel too much.

I told her it's not that much and it's not that long either.

I've done lots of searches here on this topic, but wanted to ask my question.

Thoughts?

Google "maintaining permanent residence" and get the info straight from the horse's mouth. USCIS has a handy-dandy publication on this issue. I wouldn't put too much stock in rumor on a Chinese (or any other) internet forum.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Google "maintaining permanent residence" and get the info straight from the horse's mouth. USCIS has a handy-dandy publication on this issue. I wouldn't put too much stock in rumor on a Chinese (or any other) internet forum.

Neither would I. That's why I came here to research and ask cause I don't think it's a problem, but wanted to ask others.

Thanks for that link. So seems like any short trips are fine, even if she went now for 1.5 months, next year for 3-5 months then maybe a year from now for 1-2 months.

Filed: Timeline

I'm in and out of the US at least once a month. I even spent most of 2010 outside the US. In fact, I was in and out of the country numerous times even before I got my GC. LOL. Never once did I ever have a problem. She has nothing to worry about. The travel she is planning is minimal. Enjoy.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

My wife just got her conditional GC. She was thinking about traveling back home for 1.5 months. We also have a four day vacation to Costa Rica later this year. Then next January we plan on going back to her country for less than 3-5 months.

After that we don't have travel plans, but hopefully will travel out of the country for vacation but no longer than a month easily.

She's worried that she'll be traveling too much on her GC and that immigration will feel that she doesn't want to stay in the US. She looked online (some Chinese website or forum) and got worried after reading other people saying don't travel too much.

I told her it's not that much and it's not that long either.

I've done lots of searches here on this topic, but wanted to ask my question.

Thoughts?

Hi,

I just came back from a 6 weeks vacation in my home country. I also traveled with a conditional GC which I got one year ago. Everything went ok and the officer at the PO in Chicago only asked me where did I traveled to.

So nothing to worry about.

Have a safe and nice trip and enjoy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.