HollyEslem

Affidavit of Support,Letter of Intent, etc-Confused

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Okay, so we have been getting everything ready and I THINK we have the basics..We have the actual petition, Letters of Intent, Letter on how we met..what else? I also wanted to ask: What is the best way to present these things? typed, handwritten, typed and signed by hand? Also, how did you arrange these items to send them off? Did you put them in an envelope stabled together or paperclipped or another way? I want to be as neat and thorough as possible. We are going to label them by sections per suggestion.

Another thing: The Affidavit of Support-We have seen and heard conflicting reports. We have been told to submit it with the petition, we have been told to submit it in time for the interview and the USCIS website says that no Affidavit actually has to be submitted until he's here in the US and applies for AOS..so which is it? lol I'm super confused on that one.

We'd welcome any ideas on how to organize our paperwork!!! We have included a mound of evidence and we need to weed some out. For example, there is no way we could submit every single email or text or phone log. What kind of samples ( or time frames) did you use? I hope that makes sense. We already know what photos we are going to use and we have our other stuff. Just trying to get it together and have it be pretty self explanatory. Thank you all so much for all the help you have given us so far and please, any advice is most welcome!!

February 4, 2010- Met!!

September 6, 2010-First Trip to Tunisia..officially a couple!

June 28, 2011-Second Trip to Tunisia..became engaged!!

March 2012-Third Trip to Tunisia

June 26, 2012-Fourth Trip to Tunisia..Started preparing our wedding plans!

November 6 2012-Filed our K-1 Petition!

November 16, 2012- NOA 1: K-1 Received and entered into the database

November 23, 2012- Petition was "touched" In initial review..YAY!!

March 16, 2013- Fifth Trip to Tunisia..and anxiously waiting for approval!

May 23, 2013-NOA 2: Petition Approved!!

June 3, 2013-Petition received by NVC!

June 6, 2013-Petition forwarded to the embassy in Tunisia!

June 14, 2013- Received letter from NVC notifying us of our petition being forwarded to Tunis!

June 17, 2013- Consulate Received!!

June 25, 2013- Received Packet 3 from Embassy!

July 4, 2013- Sent Packet 3 back to Embassy..waiting for an interview date!

July 15, 2013- Packet 4 received..Interview set for July 30, 2013!!!

July 22, 2013- Medical done!!

July 30, 2013- Interview- APPROVED!!!!

August 5, 2013-Picked up Visa!!

September 16, 2013-Eslem arrived safely in my arms!! POE: Pittsburg International Airport

November 7, 2013-We are finally married!!!

3jYnm4.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

As far as the affidavit of support goes, you will need to provide an I-134 and supporting documents. The affidavit of support that is not needed until AOS would be the I-864. If your consulate had no specific information about when to send in or provide the I-134 and other financial documents, then just bring them to the interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Thanks for posting this. These are also questions I had and look forward to seeing the responses :)

Edited by christiesalim

Christie & Salim

Processing Center: Texas

Sent Petition 8/17/2013

NOA1 Text Message 8/23/2013

NOA1 Hard Copy 8/28/2013

NOA2 Approved 10/9/13

NOA2 Hard Copy 10/12/13

Left NVC 10/23/2013

Received in Tunisia (Electronic) 10/25/2013

Received in Tunisia (Hard Copy) 11/12/2013

Visa APPROVED 1/16/2014

AOS (K-1) mailed 5/15/14

Texts received 6/08/2014

NOA1 Date 6/06/2014

Biometric Appointment 7/01/2014

EAD Approval 7/29/2014

AP Approval 7/29/2014

EAD Received 08/05/2014

Waiver Letter 9/10/2014

AOS APPROVED 05/12/2015

Combo Card Renewal

EAD/AP Combo Card Renewal mailed 120 days prior on 03/31/2015

EAD/AP Combo Card Renewal NOA 04/08/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

For our chats and text messages, we selected two days per month from the time I started saving our conversations via WhatsApp.

For our emails, we selected those that have substantial messages to show that we talk about serious stuff as well.

We also printed out our Facebook walls and messages - even the Tumblr account I made that shows the poems he wrote for me. :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Please refer the excellent GUIDES section, located at the top of the forum page for information on the visa process. In particular, the excellent step-by-step K-1 visa guide (for all manner of suggestions, including writing suggestions) and petition assembly suggestions guide may be quite useful to you. Take the time to acquaint yourself with the wealth of information acquired from previous visa journey folks just like yourself.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

thanks everyone! I went through and read the guides and most of my questions were answered..yay! I do have a few other questions though..Do you have to claim a child as a dependant if you don't have any custody of them, they don't live with you and you don't pay support per court order? Also, on the affidavit of support there is enough space to list ONE job..what do i do if i have two jobs? and last, our co-sponsor is currently and actively getting a divorce. Will her ex husband have to sign anything if they filed jointly even though they will no longer be married? I think that is all for now..Thanks so much!!!

February 4, 2010- Met!!

June 14, 2013- Received letter from NVC notifying us of our petition being forwarded to Tunis!

September 16, 2013-Eslem arrived safely in my arms!! POE: Pittsburg International Airport

3jYnm4.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

thanks everyone! I went through and read the guides and most of my questions were answered..yay! I do have a few other questions though..Do you have to claim a child as a dependant if you don't have any custody of them, they don't live with you and you don't pay support per court order? Also, on the affidavit of support there is enough space to list ONE job..what do i do if i have two jobs? and last, our co-sponsor is currently and actively getting a divorce. Will her ex husband have to sign anything if they filed jointly even though they will no longer be married? I think that is all for now..Thanks so much!!!

If the child is a minor, they are included in your household size whether or not they live with you, you pay child support or claim them on your taxes.

You can either try and make both fit or list your primary job, put the total of both for current annual income and add 'see attachment for 2nd job'. Add an attachment sheet listing the details of your second job and include letter from employer and recent pay stub(s) from each one to document your total income.

The co-sponsor provides a copy of their most recent tax transcript, even if filed jointly, but they are qualifying as the co-sponsor on their own individual income. She should provide a letter from employer and recent pay stub(s) to document her current income. The ex-husband is not the co-sponsor and will sign nothing.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

If the child is a minor, they are included in your household size whether or not they live with you, you pay child support or claim them on your taxes.

You can either try and make both fit or list your primary job, put the total of both for current annual income and add 'see attachment for 2nd job'. Add an attachment sheet listing the details of your second job and include letter from employer and recent pay stub(s) from each one to document your total income.

The co-sponsor provides a copy of their most recent tax transcript, even if filed jointly, but they are qualifying as the co-sponsor on their own individual income. She should provide a letter from employer and recent pay stub(s) to document her current income. The ex-husband is not the co-sponsor and will sign nothing.

i will have to attach a second page or something. I have to include it because it provides half of my income! There is no room to add it because on the Affadavit, you can only enter one address..and the thing about the co-sponsor is contradicting what i have read elsewhere ( I don't remember exactly where). I read that if they were married filing jointly, the spouse of the sponsor has to file an I-134A or something like that because there name is included on the tax return..it's just for a signature supposedly..now i'm really confused..I'll try to reference where i seen that and post here..if i'm not mistaken, it could've been the USCIS site itself..I just wanted to confirm if this was true

Edited by HollyEslem

February 4, 2010- Met!!

3jYnm4.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

i will have to attach a second page or something. I have to include it because it provides half of my income! There is no room to add it because on the Affadavit, you can only enter one address..and the thing about the co-sponsor is contradicting what i have read elsewhere ( I don't remember exactly where). I read that if they were married filing jointly, the spouse of the sponsor has to file an I-134A or something like that because there name is included on the tax return..it's just for a signature supposedly..now i'm really confused..I'll try to reference where i seen that and post here..if i'm not mistaken, it could've been the USCIS site itself..I just wanted to confirm if this was true

There is no such form as an I-134A. To use a co-sponsor with the I-134, you need to have only one that qualifies for their own household size plus the beneficiary. The petitioner fills out their I-134 and their co-sponsor fills out their own separate I-134. There is no combining of incomes of household members with the I-134. You are confusing it with the I-864, which allows for a qualifying household member to combine their income with the sponsor that is filling out the I-864 using the I-864A form. Those are not used for the K-1 interview.

It does not matter if the co-sponsor filed jointly with their spouse last year. They are filling out the I-134 using only their income and not the income of their spouse/ex-spouse. As I stated in my previous post, the spouse/ex-spouse signs nothing. Their income is not being included or considered and therefore their signature is not required or needed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.