dreyes78

Visiting fiancée

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Can't seem to find a solid answer to my question. I met my fiancée here in the USA while she was visiting on a J-1 summer work\travel program in summer 2010. She is from Belarus. I have visited her twice in Belarus and once in Ukraine as I have many friends in Ukraine)) On my visa applications for the two visits to Belarus I stated my purpose of visit as "VISIT SEVERAL OF MY FRIENDS WHOM I MET IN THE UNITED STATES ON SUMMER WORK & TRAVEL PROGRAM". Which is true because there were two other Belarusians staying with her when she was here. But now that I'm about to send off the packet for the K-1(I-129F) and my visa application for my next visit in September, is it ok to state that I'm visiting my girlfriend or fiancée? Will they question my previous visits now that I'm stating girlfriend or fiancée? Or maybe they'll see it as "oh, he's coming to take away one of ours".

And because I haven't filed the petition yet(assembling the packet as I type), maybe I can just use the "visiting friends" statement I used before, THEN send off the I-129F. Or am I safe putting visiting girlfriend/fiancée? Because I do plan on one more visit to Belarus early next year and I don't want to run into any problems because by then we'll be well into the K-1 process and I do want to be able to continue visits to Belarus in the future after we're married.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Can't seem to find a solid answer to my question. I met my fiancée here in the USA while she was visiting on a J-1 summer work\travel program in summer 2010. She is from Belarus. I have visited her twice in Belarus and once in Ukraine as I have many friends in Ukraine)) On my visa applications for the two visits to Belarus I stated my purpose of visit as "VISIT SEVERAL OF MY FRIENDS WHOM I MET IN THE UNITED STATES ON SUMMER WORK & TRAVEL PROGRAM". Which is true because there were two other Belarusians staying with her when she was here. But now that I'm about to send off the packet for the K-1(I-129F) and my visa application for my next visit in September, is it ok to state that I'm visiting my girlfriend or fiancée? Will they question my previous visits now that I'm stating girlfriend or fiancée? Or maybe they'll see it as "oh, he's coming to take away one of ours".

And because I haven't filed the petition yet(assembling the packet as I type), maybe I can just use the "visiting friends" statement I used before, THEN send off the I-129F. Or am I safe putting visiting girlfriend/fiancée? Because I do plan on one more visit to Belarus early next year and I don't want to run into any problems because by then we'll be well into the K-1 process and I do want to be able to continue visits to Belarus in the future after we're married.

I am no expert on Belarus' attitude toward Americans taking their women. But I do know that the I-129F is a document that is not seen by the government of Belarus. It is only for the US government. So what is the worry?

If you are concerned about offending some Belarus officials, then keep it generic to visiting friends and the beautiful country of Belarus. No sense in not sweetening the application with positive comments about Belarus. Remember, you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

I am no expert on Belarus' attitude toward Americans taking their women. But I do know that the I-129F is a document that is not seen by the government of Belarus. It is only for the US government. So what is the worry?

I just married my gal from Belarus this past may. I'm flying over there this sept 7th till the 22nd. Before we married, I just did the standard routine of her sending me an invitation and before we married, I put that I'm going visit her and her family (I used this twice even on the last trip back in may). This time around I stated that we got married and she's having our first child this month (which that is true) and I trying to spend as much time with her and her family till we decide about our future. That's what I put. I also did the multi entry this time and I will see what happens. I just mailed the package to Washington day before yesterday and they got it yesterday morning. I never had a problem with getting a visa. There govermment does not think " oh, American man taking our woman away from us" but maybe more like " oh god, p,ease take the females please " !!! (laughing). As for as just visiting Belarus? The only thing you need is her to get you an invitation. You got to use it with in 90 days (or three months the way my wife tells me). Go to "Travisa.com" (that's who I use), you will have to fill out Tranvisa's online application, and there's another visa application you have to fill out (which it's the app your questioning what to put on why you want to visit blah blah blah). You should have a problem unless she's affiliated with any people or groups against there government or you have no political backgrounds (another words, DO NOT TALK POLITCS WITH NO ONE THERE ARE GOING THERE (smiles).

Timeline

My expirence's in Belarus was great (besides learning that what they call "pancakes" over there is not like what we call it over in the states, lol). Yes, they know your a Fournier not by what comes out your mouth, but what you wear (laughing). I'm a blue jean, T-shirt, baseball cap wearing fool, and this is how they know I'm American (laughing). Nobody singled me out, no police following me, and even though the relationship between Belarus and USA is really good, I found that they treat you no deferent then your normal Bela-Russian there as long as you Go by there laws. Besides, Belarus's embassy in Washington does do background checks on the person seeking a visa to there country. They know way ahead if things are not up to par. Every time I go through there security check point at there airport, there's one tall security guy that when he sees me, he's very very nice and like to joke a little with me. He's about the only one that smiles allot too (laughing). If anybody there by the x ray machine ask's for a cigarette? Don't hand him the pack, he will take the whole thing (laughing). Thats how I came to know this fella, he asked for a cigarette (because my brand is Salem ultra lights and you want find it over there), and while I was putting stuff back in my back pack? He put my smokes in his pocket (laughing). It was funny, I wasn't mad and he's a pretty good guy. But he does his job over there. No one will badger you about taking away any females over there (unless she's has a hidden boyfriend call big bubba somewhere that you don't know about and she fails to tell "bubba" that there through before you and her hook up, laughing).

this is probably not helpful at all but it would be hilarious if you just wrote "sex"

LAUGHING MY TAIL FEATHERS OFF HERE (that would flip there do da yeah aaa off now wouldn't it)

Put "tourism". If they ask for an itinerary, tell that you have a guide, the schedule is flexible, but you want to see Mir Castle, the olympic training center (skiing and target shooting), and the war memorial museum. The first two are outside Minsk, the last is right downtown.

I always had business visas, so the invitation never raised any eyebrows. Not sure about personal ones. You will find most people in Belarus very welcoming.

Edited to say that this is an idea, but since I have no experience with anything other than business visas, please rely on those with experience as "tourists".

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

i have been to belarus a few times, i never had a problem, I put i am visiting family. if you are worried put you are visiting friends. The Kgb aren't going to question you or throw you in Jail. and the visa in you passport will only show what dates you went there. so when you copy them and send them in as proof, it won't have any red flags

i have been to belarus a few times, i never had a problem, I put i am visiting family. if you are worried put you are visiting friends. The Kgb aren't going to question you or throw you in Jail. and the visa in you passport will only show what dates you went there. so when you copy them and send them in as proof, it won't have any red flags

It was interesting that the only real question I had in the US Embassy in Ukraine at Vika's K-1 interview was about my business visas from Belarus.

One time I had to get a new Belarus visa before my last one had run out, as my stay in Minsk would take me past the expiration. The embassy here stamped "visa canceled" on the old one, and put a new one in my passport. When I arrived in Minsk, I had to give a lengthy (for passport control) explanation for that. I thought they didn't believe me, but they were just checking me out. Turns out, when some one (maybe an election monitor) gets kicked out, they get that same stamp on their visa. So the officer wanted to make sure I hadn't been thrown out, then given another visa by mistake or something. You would think the dates would explain it :lol: .

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

When I went to Belarus this pass May, I didn't put I was getting married. I just kept the same line the same as the previous application. Haven't had a problem. Also, that invitation that I used for the May trip actually was a day or two expired after it got to Washington (I was away at work on a river boat and sent everything in as soon as my feet hit land). Are You planing to get married when you go visit Belarus in September? What dates your going to belarus this September?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Are You planing to get married when you go visit Belarus in September? What dates your going to belarus this September?

First off, thanks to everyone for the replies. You've eased my mind)) But no, I will not be getting married there. We are filing for K-1 Fiancee visa. I'm leaving on 02 Sep and will be there for about a week then we'll head over to Ukraine for about a week and a half. BTW, where in Louisiana are you?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

this is probably not helpful at all but it would be hilarious if you just wrote "sex"

That was the first answer that popped into my head when I first read this thread, Amby... :yes:

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

First off, thanks to everyone for the replies. You've eased my mind)) But no, I will not be getting married there. We are filing for K-1 Fiancee visa. I'm leaving on 02 Sep and will be there for about a week then we'll head over to Ukraine for about a week and a half. BTW, where in Louisiana are you?

I'm from Cajun country (lol). My town is called Houma. It's about 36 miles southwest of New Orleans.

Timeline

Well, well now))) I'm right up the road from you in Des Allemands)))

Well hello nabor (lol). We're not the only two close by who has a spouce from Belarus or Russia. There a couple who owns a store in front my place by the mall, she's Russian, and he's USC. Which I think it's good because it will give Alena someone she can relate too when she gets here. And I guess now you can say the same for your future bride. You know they will freak out when they start seeing the critters that wel live around (gators, possums, nutra rats, cyoties now, and big white head ####### roaches, laughing).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.