SMOKE

Physical inactivity kills 5 million a year.

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A third of the world's adults are physically inactive, and the couch potato lifestyle kills about five million people every year, experts said in the medical journal The Lancet on Wednesday.

"Roughly three of every 10 individuals aged 15 years or older -- about 1.5 billion people -- do not reach present physical activity recommendations," they said in a report that described the problem as a "pandemic."

The picture for adolescents is even more worrying, with four out of five 13- to 15-year-olds not moving enough, it said.

Physical inactivity was described for the study as failing to do 30 minutes of moderate physical activity five times a week, 20 minutes of vigorous activity three times a week, or a combination of the two.

Inactivity increases with age, is higher in women than in men, and more prevalent in high-income countries, the researchers found.

A second study, comparing physical activity levels with population statistics on diseases like diabetes, heart problems and cancer, said lack of exercise claimed more than 5.3 million of the 57 million deaths worldwide in 2008.

It said inactivity was a risk factor comparable to smoking or obesity.

Lack of exercise causes an estimated six percent of coronary heart disease cases, seven percent of type 2 diabetes (the most common form) and 10 percent of breast and colon cancers, it said.

Reducing inactivity by 10 percent could eliminate more than half a million deaths every year, the report said, adding that the estimates were conservative.

The human body needs exercise to help the bones, muscles, heart and other organs function optimally, but populations are walking, running and cycling less and less as they spend more time in cars and in front of computers, the investigators said.

The Lancet series called for global efforts to promote physical exercise by improving pedestrian and cyclist safety on city roads, for example, more physical education at school or promoting access to free public exercise spaces.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/physical-inactivity-kills-5-million-report-231448754.html

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Inactivity and poor eating habits are a recipe for disaster.

many think its a bigger health issue than smoking.

July 18, 2012

Americans' Concerns About Obesity Soar, Surpass Smoking

More say obesity is "extremely serious" now than in the past

by Elizabeth Mendes

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Most Americans say obesity is an "extremely" or "very serious" problem to society, the 81% who do so is up significantly from 69% in 2005, the last time Gallup asked this question. Americans now see obesity as a more serious societal issue than cigarettes -- a change from the past.

1.gif

Gallup has asked Americans how serious a problem obesity, cigarettes, and alcohol are to society three times since 2003. The combined percentage rating obesity as extremely or very serious has increased with each survey. While Americans became more concerned about all three issues in 2005, their concerns about cigarettes has since stayed the same and those about alcohol declined slightly.

Nearly four in 10 Americans now say obesity is an extremely serious problem to society, more than the 30% who say the same about cigarettes and 18% about alcohol. The percentage who say obesity is an extremely serious problem is also up from 27% in 2005.

2.gif

Majorities See Important Role for Government

Americans are equally likely to say it is extremely or very important to have federal government programs that address the health risks associated with obesity (57%) and smoking (55%), despite their higher level of concern about obesity. Slightly fewer say programs addressing excessive alcohol consumption are extremely or very important (48%).

3.gif

Still, fewer Americans place high importance on government obesity programs than say the issue is an extremely or very serious societal problem -- likely reflecting the high priority Americans place on jobs and the economy currently, and their differing views on the role of the government.

Obesity Concerns Cross Party Lines, But GOP Less Likely to Want Gov't Programs

Republicans, independents, and Democrats agree that obesity is an extremely or very serious problem to society, with about eight in 10 in each party saying so. However, while the vast majority of Democrats think it is extremely or very important to have federal government programs to address obesity, fewer than three in 10 Republicans say the same.

4.gif

These differences reflect the more general Republican-Democratic divide on the role of the government. Republicans tend to want the government's role to be smaller, while Democrats lean more toward the government playing a larger role.

Implications

Americans are much more concerned about obesity now than they have been in the past -- with most saying it is an extremely or very serious societal problem. They also think it is more serious than smoking or alcohol.

The drastic increase in obesity over the past 20 years and Americans' awareness of it are likely contributing to their growing concerns about the problems it is causing society. First lady Michelle Obama's high-profile nationwide anti-childhood obesity campaign, launched in 2010, may have also affected Americans' perceptions of the severity of the issue.

To what degree Americans would support the government itself taking action to address obesity is less clear. While a large majority says it is extremely or very important to have federal government programs targeted toward obesity, they feel the same way about smoking. And, Republicans and Democrats disagree on that point -- most Democrats see it as an important issue for the government to address, while most Republicans do not.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155762/Americans-Concerns-Obesity-Soar-Surpass-Smoking.aspx

i wonder how other first wealthy nations feel about it and deal with it? being fat & lazy isn't just an american problem. europeans are pretty well known for being fat & lazy too. anyone know how they're dealing with it?

Edited by SMOKE
7yqZWFL.jpg

This is a huge problem where I live. People won't even get out of their car to pay their electricity bill!

I know, right? To each their own, but I feel so much better after going to the gym or going for a walk.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

However, I subscribe to the 'low mileage body' theory which I developed on my own with minimal effort

I watched so many cyclists and joggers spark out through strokes and heart attacks.

Then I saw the fitness instructors get artificial hips at age 53

Then I saw sports people like Mohammed Ali

I realized I was outliving all of them in much better shape

Then I looked at wizened old industrialists and supreme court justices who live to at least 350 and look like they don't even lift their own coffee cups up to their lips

I have an annual check up and my doctor describes me as a very healthy young man

Low mileage is the answer. Why should we be the only machine that benefits from high use ?

Nurse those hip joints, pamper those knees. Watch cats - they are supple and physically wonderful - they lay around all day and move as little as possible

Low mileage is the answer

Edited by Ashud Cocoa

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know, right? To each their own, but I feel so much better after going to the gym or going for a walk.

I do too, even at 33 weeks preggo! :lol: Exercise helps me feel more energized and helps me sleep better. How can we convince others of this though?

I do too, even at 33 weeks preggo! :lol: Exercise helps me feel more energized and helps me sleep better. How can we convince others of this though?

You can't.

I was guilty of spending far too much time sitting on my butt not caring what I was doing to my body and unless someone WANTS to change, they will not. No matter how many numbers or statistics you throw at them.

Edited by Evylin

Timeline

You can't coz you aren't qualified !

You need to get through to late 50's with no adverse sprains and repairs necessary before you can claim no adverse effects

Sports people are almost always permanently injured and that is why sports physios are so common

You are like someone who has been married two years saying marriage is wonderful

The test of time is the only true test

I have proved that if you do as a cat does, lay around yawning, do as little as possible, stay at the ideal temperature, you will be fine

My cats have never been to a physio and sleep great every night (and day)

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can't coz you aren't qualified !

You need to get through to late 50's with no adverse sprains and repairs necessary before you can claim no adverse effects

Sports people are almost always permanently injured and that is why sports physios are so common

You are like someone who has been married two years saying marriage is wonderful

The test of time is the only true test

I have proved that if you do as a cat does, lay around yawning, do as little as possible, stay at the ideal temperature, you will be fine

My cats have never been to a physio and sleep great every night (and day)

:lol:

I'd love to try and help people, but I don't want to come across like a born again christian or someone who just quit smoking.

Walking is a good form of exercise that is less likely to cause you injuries. Walking is underrated!

Timeline

I'd love to try and help people, but I don't want to come across like a born again christian or someone who just quit smoking.

Walking is a good form of exercise that is less likely to cause you injuries. Walking is underrated!

Yanky wife says the thing she likes best about England is that every country walk ends at a pub !

..and it's easy to get a taxi back to the starting point

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yanky wife says the thing she likes best about England is that every country walk ends at a pub !

..and it's easy to get a taxi back to the starting point

Nothing that a regular bedroom session can't fix and I highly recommend a daily beer run.

Edited by kennard

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

If the stats show that this many die from being inactive there is another stat that will show how many die from being active. Jim Fixx, the man who popularized running for health in the 1970s dropped dead while running. Being balanced is key.

Actually, the thought of doing the last 20 years like Mohammed Ali is quickly losing its attraction

I think being shot by my wife (execution style) at 73 for infidelity on a Tiger Woods scale would be a great way to check out

moresheep400100.jpg