Bergziege

Advance parole travel document

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

So I have my advance parole travel document, and would like to go back home for three weeks for a visit. The parole documents talk about all these restrictions, like "A.P. is no guarantee you'll be able to return" and all that. Can I confidently go abroad now without risking my visa or other things? Thanks!

Have you been in status the whole time?

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

So I have my advance parole travel document, and would like to go back home for three weeks for a visit. The parole documents talk about all these restrictions, like "A.P. is no guarantee you'll be able to return" and all that. Can I confidently go abroad now without risking my visa or other things? Thanks!

Did you file the AOS before the I-94 expired or after? If after, how many days? You will be fine as long as you have not be out of status for more than 180 days. This is the government warning people that you have an AP document, but it is not a guaranteed re-entry to the US. Even a GC is not a guaranteed re-entry if the CBP peson thinks you have abandoned your LPR status. The only guarantee to re-enter the US is to be a USC. As long as you filed you AOS either before the I-94 or shortly after it expired, you will be fine. You may have a bit of trouble with the airlines not recognizing the AP/EAD card, but all should be well.

I should also point out that the K-1 visa you used to enter teh US expired the day you entered. What you need to "worry" about is the expiration date on the I-94 for any out of status time. If you filed before your I-94 expired, you are golden. No worries. The only thing that would cause you problems with the AOS is to miss your interview appointment, if you have an interview, while you are out of the country.

Enjoy your trip,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Did you file the AOS before the I-94 expired or after? If after, how many days? You will be fine as long as you have not be out of status for more than 180 days. This is the government warning people that you have an AP document, but it is not a guaranteed re-entry to the US. Even a GC is not a guaranteed re-entry if the CBP peson thinks you have abandoned your LPR status. The only guarantee to re-enter the US is to be a USC. As long as you filed you AOS either before the I-94 or shortly after it expired, you will be fine. You may have a bit of trouble with the airlines not recognizing the AP/EAD card, but all should be well.

I should also point out that the K-1 visa you used to enter teh US expired the day you entered. What you need to "worry" about is the expiration date on the I-94 for any out of status time. If you filed before your I-94 expired, you are golden. No worries. The only thing that would cause you problems with the AOS is to miss your interview appointment, if you have an interview, while you are out of the country.

Enjoy your trip,

Dave

The other danger is being denied while she's gone. The AP is no longer valid if there's a denial.

OP, you don't have a timeline, or any dates down. If you were transfered to CSC, you've got a pretty long wait and likely no worry about needing to go to an interview, unless they transfer it local again. It would be best if someone is checking your mail so you know if any notices come in to. You don't have a lot of time to respond to RFE's, and some of the things they might ask for may take some time to get. Think about how you would handle an RFE, or an interview appointment if you're out of the country. Will you change your ticket and return early? Call and reschedule the interview? You're probably fairly safe if you make plans to handle these type of things.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for everyone's info! I have one additional question.

Is it okay to travel with my passport in the old name (which will likely not get changed in time), the marriage certificate showing the old and new name, and the AP travel document with the new name?

Is it okay to travel with my passport in the old name (which will likely not get changed in time), the marriage certificate showing the old and new name, and the AP travel document with the new name?

Just make certain the airline tickets are in the name of the government ID used for international travel--i.e. your passport. You may want to take along a copy of the marriage certificate to help people make the connection between maiden name and married name. All the GC or AP does is allow you to re-enter the US wihout a visa or on the VWP. You still must travel with your passport and any restrictions that it carries in regards to obtaining a visa (since you are from Germany it is not too much different that having a US passport, but for some they make their plans and forget about the visa requirements for the foreign spouse).

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

My wife did exactly that with no problem whatsoever while her AOS was pending. I don't think they even asked her to show the marriage certificate, but she had it with her just in case.

12/31/2009 Married in the U.S. on K-1 visa

01/28/2010 received copy of marriage certificate (what a delay!)

02/01/2010 AOS (I-485/I-765/I-131/I-1145) package sent to USCIS via FedEx (Day 0)

02/02/2010 AOS package received at USCIS confirmed by FedEx (Day 1)

02/08/2010 NOA1 for I-485/I-765/I-131, noting Date of Receipt 02/02/2010 (Day 7)

02/10/2010 Biometrics Letter date, noting appointment on 02/26/2010 (Day 9)

02/23/2010 Notice of Transfer to CSC (Day 22)

02/26/2010 Completed Biometrics Appointment (Day 25)

03/01/2010 I-765 status first available on-line (Touch) (Day 28)

03/03/2010 I-485 status first available on-line (Touch) (Day 30)

04/12/2010 EAD Card Production Ordered (via text message and on-line) (Day 70)

04/12/2010 AP approved and mailed (status shown on-line) (Day 70)

04/17/2010 AP received in mail (Day 75)

04/19/2010 EAD Card received in mail (Day 77)

07/28/2010 AOS Card Production Ordered (via text message and on-line) (Day 177)

08/03/2010 Welcome Letter received in mail (Day 183)

08/06/2010 Green Card received in mail (Day 186)

04/30/2012 Remove Conditions (I-751) sent to USCIS

06/25/2012 Completed Biometrics Appointment

01/30/2013 Card Production Ordered

02/07/2013 Green Card received in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.