YasJun

Attorney at AOS Interview

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

My wife and I just received the notice with my AOS interview date. This is the date we've been waiting for what seems like forever! And now that it's here I'm a bit nervous. For peace of mind I'm considering having an attorney present. We just got married in April so we don't have much hard evidence such as joint bank accounts or credit cards. Our apartment lease is both of our names and we have hundreds of pictures of us over the years but I just hope that is good enough. Also, I do not have the I-94 card. For those reasons, I would feel more comfortable if a lawyer is there but I'm not sure if it will make a huge difference. Thanks for any advice!

4/25/2009 : Began dating!

12/11/2011: I proposed, she said yes!

4/1/2012 : Married!

Adjustment of Status

5/1/2012 : I-130, I-485, I-765 mailed to Chicago
5/8/2012 : SMS/Email notification
5/10/2012: Received I-797's
5/17/2012: Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
5/23/2012: RFE (I-864)
6/4/2012 : RFE Response mailed
6/7/2012 : Biometrics Appointment
7/7/2012 : Received EAD
7/13/2012: Received Interview Appointment Notice
8/14/2012: Interview - Approved!!! I'm a permanent resident!!
8/20/2012: Received I-485, I-130 acceptance notice
8/22/2012: Received Permanent Resident card!

Removal of Conditions
7/15/2014 : Sent I-751, mailed to Vermont Service Center

7/21/2014 : Received I-797 NOA

8/11/2014 : Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 8/2/14, appointment on 8/22/14)

8/12/2014 : Walk-in Biometrics at Tampa, FL office; successful

Citizenship

8/30/2015 : Sent N400, mailed to Dallas Lockbox

: Package delivered

: Received I-797 NOA

: Received biometrics appointment notice (dated ... , appointment on 9/22/2015)

9/18/2015 : Walk-in Biometrics at Tampa, FL office: UNSUCCESSFUL

9/22/2015 : Biometrics Appointment

1/09/2016 : N400 Interview Appointment!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

My wife and I just received the notice with my AOS interview date. This is the date we've been waiting for what seems like forever! And now that it's here I'm a bit nervous. For peace of mind I'm considering having an attorney present. We just got married in April so we don't have much hard evidence such as joint bank accounts or credit cards. Our apartment lease is both of our names and we have hundreds of pictures of us over the years but I just hope that is good enough. Also, I do not have the I-94 card. For those reasons, I would feel more comfortable if a lawyer is there but I'm not sure if it will make a huge difference. Thanks for any advice!

How about insurance/addud to title of car, having state ID whowing the same address for both of you? Any letter addressed to both of you? My husband paid my doctor's visit the fist few months I was here, his credit card statements reflect that also(until getting on his insurance).

Regarding a lawyer - at that point, it seems odd(IMO) to involve a lawyer, only because it looks odd to have on present when you have nothing to hide or fear. Being nervous is understandable. Why don't you have an I-94?

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

I do not have the I-94 because it was lost. I came to the US with my mother in 1999 (when I was 10 years old) under Visa waiver program. There is a US immigration stamp in her passport. On the I-485 for I-94 number I was told to put unknown.

I'm still on my father's health insurance so we don't have any in both of our names. The only thing we have is the apartment lease together. I just received an EAD and plan on getting a driver's license and our addresses will match on our licenses.

We don't have anything to hide, I was just wondering if an attorney being present would be beneficial to us if we're asked about why we don't have a lot of evidence or if they ask about the I-94.

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

8/11/2014 : Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 8/2/14, appointment on 8/22/14)

Citizenship

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Is it possible to get a photo copy of your mom's passport, both the biographic page and entry stamp?

USCIS is asking for proof that you entered with inspection. You cannot adjust without it. Somebody else might add to your question. I'm fairly sure you need to file for a replacement (form i-102) to get a copy of the i-94, bring the receipt notice to interview and you should be fine.

I'd wait up for some more replies though, to see if you can avoid the i-102 fee. And especially since I am not that familiar with VWP when they always made you have an i94.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I do not have the I-94 because it was lost. I came to the US with my mother in 1999 (when I was 10 years old) under Visa waiver program. There is a US immigration stamp in her passport. On the I-485 for I-94 number I was told to put unknown.

I'm still on my father's health insurance so we don't have any in both of our names. The only thing we have is the apartment lease together. I just received an EAD and plan on getting a driver's license and our addresses will match on our licenses.

We don't have anything to hide, I was just wondering if an attorney being present would be beneficial to us if we're asked about why we don't have a lot of evidence or if they ask about the I-94.

IMO, since you're an overstay, is better to have an attorney present.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

from what i have read in most forums all AOS applicants should and must have i-94 in case of lost i-94 you can file i-102 to uscis to get a copy of it.

day 0 may 7 - mailed application
4 may 11 - email notification from immigration
7 may 14- checked cashed
10 may 17- hard copy noa rcvd for 1-13, ead and i-485
31 june 07- bio appt , walked in at SFO ASC June 20, 2012
june 26 - bio sched
44 june 20- walked in bio
56 july 2 - received notice for interview 8/8 @10:25am
73 july 19 - ead approved, card ordered for production
79 july 25 - ead picked up by usps
81 july 27 - got ead in the mail
93 aug 8 - interview at NBC SF , For further review and Security clearance
99 aug 14 - finally, approval and card production email
100 aug 15 - mailed approval notice for i-130 and i-785
105 aug 20 - received hard copy of NOA Approval notice
107 aug 22 - recieved my COnditional green card
01 may 8 - mailed I 751
07 may 15 - received NOA (1 YR GC extention) dated 5/12/14

33 june 10 - called USCIS to inquire about Biometrics appointment

35 june 12 - received letter dated June 12 from USCIS saying i do not need a Bio since they pulled my recent Bio from file

40 june 17 - called USCIS and talked to Tier 2 and was able to get my receipt number to monitor my status online.

N-400 Journey

00 - 2015/05/15 - sent N-400 packet to USCIS

2015/05/20 - check cashed

2015/05/23- I-797 received

2015/05/30 - biometrics appointment for June 08 (early walk-in)

2015/07/08 - interview notice

2015/08/10 - received interview letter for 9/10 but ask to reschedule

2015/08/18- received a notice email that my interview has been cancelled

2015/09/30- interview appointment

2015/xx/xx - oath taking

Timeline

Do I need to file for I-102 even I have my mother's passport that we came in on? It has the entry stamp. That is what I've included in the I-485 that was submitted. After reading these posts I'm definitely going in with an attorney. I really hope that I do not need the I-102 because we are limited on time and money. Does anyone know approximately how long it would take to receive a replacement I-94 after I-102 is filed?

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Your attorney won't be allowed to give any legal advice on how you should respond during the interview. The consular officer will probably ask him or her to wait at the side while the interview happens. The exception would be if you have a family member translating for you who happens to be an attorney, but even then, they will typically know your language enough to ask the attorney to refrain from coaching you during the interview.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello !

If we don't hire an attorney during our AOS filing process, can we hire attorney just to be present at the interview?

Is there anything we need to mention in the paperwork for that now?

What we need to do in order to take attorney at the interview like informing USCIS or something?

Any experiences about taking attorney at the interview?

Thanks 4 your :help: !!

Get Fit > Learn > Work Harder >> Earn your Happiness !

May GOD bless All !

2007 - Entered, Start work in USA on H1B

2010 - Met my now wife :-)

2012 - Got married -> I Do !

July, 2012 - Preparing AOS package

Somebody earlier asked if they should hire an attorney .

Here is what I posted (based on my own experience). In fact if I could do it all over again, I would file the petition on my own and hire the attorney for the interview only. Below you can see my post :

The answer to your question (do I need to hire an attorney) is YES and NO.

Yes, hire an attorney and No, do not hire an attorney.

Let me go over pros and cons.

On Pro side:

the real purpose of attorney is to protect your rights and make sure no error is made that leads to

denial of benefit you are statutorily eligible for.

I am currently on the last stage of my AOS and instead of approval I got RFE (after approval of I-130).

The main reason, as I see it, is that I didn't have an attorney during the interview.

And here is what happened:

I was NEVER in my life arrested or charged with any crime, anywhere. No DUI/DWI , nothing at all , nothing but very minor traffic tickets ( I didn't even get points on DL record for it!).

And I-485 unlike N-400 specifically says "excluding traffic violations".

Since I NEVER was arrested or charged of crime I NEVER admitted to the same and answered NO to relevant

application question.

However, during the interview I had an officer who specifically asked me "Not even a traffic ticket?" (after I answered NO to original question on i-485),to which I answered "I had traffic tickets".

He then went on to change my answer to YES , added in hand writing "traffic violation" and asked me to place initials

next to it.

A month later, instead of an approval I got the RFE saying "in your app and during the interview you admitted to have been arrested ... now submit an original letter of arrest disposition".

So, I had to hire an attorney (and I found a good one) to file a response who submitted the RFE reply.

Weeks later there is not even acknowledgment of RFE response receipt on USCIS.GOV page.

Had I had a competent attorney who went to interview with me he could have intervened and advised me not to place initials to YES and he would correct the newly hired USCIS officer that proper answer to this question should be NO since I have NEVER been arrested in my life or charged with any criminal violation.

So, this is just one example of when attorney can be helpful even if your case is million percent straightforward.

But here are the Cons to consider:

First, most attorneys charge obscenely huge amounts for nothing.

For example they will charge you some $2500 to $3500 and then make you

to do all the work (fill out all the forms) and after you fill everything out they will say

"now sign here and there" and then they will mail the package to USCIS.

If you paid a Kinkos employee to do all the copies of documents for you , you would end up with

$5-$10 bill. Since you yourself have to fill out forms, you could pay zero for it and, to be on safe side,

you could ask couple of your relatives or friends with good comprehension of English to go over and make sure

there are no typos or errors in your application.

Another $18 you would pay to send your package via USPS Express-next day delivery and , having spent $30 or so

you would have submitted exactly the same package as $3500 attorney would.

This ,of course, does not apply to good attorneys who may spend time with you , really analyzing your case and giving you advise, spending hours to fill out forms, but such attorneys are extreme rarity and most attorneys see their profession as a treadmill where fools are coming to pay them money in exchange for doing nothing.

Another big problem, again due to lack of ethical standards , is that in many cases attorneys will actually

damage your straightforward case.

Not only they don't do anything on your case while charging you for over 10 hrs of hourly rate to submit

your application, but on top of that they often hire poorly educated and low paid paralegals who , since they get paid little more than a cashier in Wallmart, populate your application with errors and some may turn to be very very costly to fix down the road.

So, hiring an attorney you risk to end up with insult and injury, not a best thing you can buy out there for 3 grands.

Now you have to consider all the pros and cons and make your own decision.

If I were you I would fill out all forms and submit by myself (just pay great deal of attention

to all and every single line and avoid by all means any typos and errors, even keep your application for days

before mailing, read and review it over and over during various times of the day as you get a chance and correct any and all typos/errors you may find. Ask someone to review and make sure all your answers are correct, have then read all questions to you and answer them and make sure all your answers are correct).

Make 2 copies of all forms submitted and put in a safe place your copies.

Once done with paperwork mail it to USCIS via FedEx or USPS Express, save the receipt.

Next you will be fingerprinted , issued EAD/TD and appointment letter for interview (assuming you fill out your paperwork with no errors and submit all the initial evidence to establish your eligibility).

When your interview nears then make a decision if you need an attorney.

If you decide to hire one make a very thorough research, make sure you are hiring a competent one. Do as much googling on a firm/attorney as you can. Get a list of few selected attorneys who have: good record, lots of presence on net, published , written books,attended seminars, praised by peers (check Martindale-Hubbel rating. The highest is AV) and etc.

Then pick up the phone and call to see attorney in person or talk over the phone.

If they say "Pay $XXX or WE WON'T TALK" then hang up immediately. May be it's a great attorney but you don't want to spend $200-$400 to just find out if he or she is.

Interview them as you would a plumber or a building contractor - you will be paying , they will be working for you and you should make sure they are truly competent , not just in paper but in real life too.

Ask pointed questions (not necessarily related to your case but find something relatively obscure to test how current the attorney is on current laws/rulings/case precedents).

This will help you to make a better judgment instead of blindly assuming that they are proficient.

If all checks and they agree to charge reasonable fee (interview lasts only 30-45 mins and you wait another hour or so to be called in) then you may pay relatively small fee in exchange for professional representation and to avoid situation like one I got myself into.

Tell your attorney NOT TO INTERFERE unless USCIS officer makes an obvious error or asks totally irrelevant to AOS forms questions.

If your attorney interferes , interrupts the officer and keeps telling you what to answer then the officer may grow suspicious that there is something wrong and this will cause major hurdles in processing of your case.

If you are lucky and the USCIS officer is experienced and knows his job well then you may not need any attorney at all. Google and find out if the local office had recently hired a lot of new officers. Older and more experienced the officers - higher chances you will pass the interview and be approved on the spot (assuming your case is straightforward and you submit all evidence needed with your application).

Good luck to you and all the best.

Edited by asdfg

I-485/I-130 filed: January 26,2012 (130/485 sent to Chicago lockbox, transferred to MSC, field office Baltimore, MD).

I-130 Approved: June 25, 2012

I-485 RFE issued: June 25, 2012

Contacted offices of Honorable Senator Ben Cardin and Barbara Mikulski at the end of July.

I-485 DECISION MADE on August 03, 2012 , LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER CONTACTING THE SENATOR'S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ON CASE STATUS!

I-485 WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: 08/08/12

Green Card in Mail: 08/11/12

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Somebody earlier asked if they should hire an attorney .

Here is what I posted (based on my own experience). In fact if I could do it all over again, I would file the petition on my own and hire the attorney for the interview only. Below you can see my post :

The answer to your question (do I need to hire an attorney) is YES and NO.

Yes, hire an attorney and No, do not hire an attorney.

Let me go over pros and cons.

On Pro side:

the real purpose of attorney is to protect your rights and make sure no error is made that leads to

denial of benefit you are statutorily eligible for.

I am currently on the last stage of my AOS and instead of approval I got RFE (after approval of I-130).

The main reason, as I see it, is that I didn't have an attorney during the interview.

And here is what happened:

I was NEVER in my life arrested or charged with any crime, anywhere. No DUI/DWI , nothing at all , nothing but very minor traffic tickets ( I didn't even get points on DL record for it!).

And I-485 unlike N-400 specifically says "excluding traffic violations".

Since I NEVER was arrested or charged of crime I NEVER admitted to the same and answered NO to relevant

application question.

However, during the interview I had an officer who specifically asked me "Not even a traffic ticket?" (after I answered NO to original question on i-485),to which I answered "I had traffic tickets".

He then went on to change my answer to YES , added in hand writing "traffic violation" and asked me to place initials

next to it.

A month later, instead of an approval I got the RFE saying "in your app and during the interview you admitted to have been arrested ... now submit an original letter of arrest disposition".

So, I had to hire an attorney (and I found a good one) to file a response who submitted the RFE reply.

Weeks later there is not even acknowledgment of RFE response receipt on USCIS.GOV page.

Had I had a competent attorney who went to interview with me he could have intervened and advised me not to place initials to YES and he would correct the newly hired USCIS officer that proper answer to this question should be NO since I have NEVER been arrested in my life or charged with any criminal violation.

So, this is just one example of when attorney can be helpful even if your case is million percent straightforward.

But here are the Cons to consider:

First, most attorneys charge obscenely huge amounts for nothing.

For example they will charge you some $2500 to $3500 and then make you

to do all the work (fill out all the forms) and after you fill everything out they will say

"now sign here and there" and then they will mail the package to USCIS.

If you paid a Kinkos employee to do all the copies of documents for you , you would end up with

$5-$10 bill. Since you yourself have to fill out forms, you could pay zero for it and, to be on safe side,

you could ask couple of your relatives or friends with good comprehension of English to go over and make sure

there are no typos or errors in your application.

Another $18 you would pay to send your package via USPS Express-next day delivery and , having spent $30 or so

you would have submitted exactly the same package as $3500 attorney would.

This ,of course, does not apply to good attorneys who may spend time with you , really analyzing your case and giving you advise, spending hours to fill out forms, but such attorneys are extreme rarity and most attorneys see their profession as a treadmill where fools are coming to pay them money in exchange for doing nothing.

Another big problem, again due to lack of ethical standards , is that in many cases attorneys will actually

damage your straightforward case.

Not only they don't do anything on your case while charging you for over 10 hrs of hourly rate to submit

your application, but on top of that they often hire poorly educated and low paid paralegals who , since they get paid little more than a cashier in Wallmart, populate your application with errors and some may turn to be very very costly to fix down the road.

So, hiring an attorney you risk to end up with insult and injury, not a best thing you can buy out there for 3 grands.

Now you have to consider all the pros and cons and make your own decision.

If I were you I would fill out all forms and submit by myself (just pay great deal of attention

to all and every single line and avoid by all means any typos and errors, even keep your application for days

before mailing, read and review it over and over during various times of the day as you get a chance and correct any and all typos/errors you may find. Ask someone to review and make sure all your answers are correct, have then read all questions to you and answer them and make sure all your answers are correct).

Make 2 copies of all forms submitted and put in a safe place your copies.

Once done with paperwork mail it to USCIS via FedEx or USPS Express, save the receipt.

Next you will be fingerprinted , issued EAD/TD and appointment letter for interview (assuming you fill out your paperwork with no errors and submit all the initial evidence to establish your eligibility).

When your interview nears then make a decision if you need an attorney.

If you decide to hire one make a very thorough research, make sure you are hiring a competent one. Do as much googling on a firm/attorney as you can. Get a list of few selected attorneys who have: good record, lots of presence on net, published , written books,attended seminars, praised by peers (check Martindale-Hubbel rating. The highest is AV) and etc.

Then pick up the phone and call to see attorney in person or talk over the phone.

If they say "Pay $XXX or WE WON'T TALK" then hang up immediately. May be it's a great attorney but you don't want to spend $200-$400 to just find out if he or she is.

Interview them as you would a plumber or a building contractor - you will be paying , they will be working for you and you should make sure they are truly competent , not just in paper but in real life too.

Ask pointed questions (not necessarily related to your case but find something relatively obscure to test how current the attorney is on current laws/rulings/case precedents).

This will help you to make a better judgment instead of blindly assuming that they are proficient.

If all checks and they agree to charge reasonable fee (interview lasts only 30-45 mins and you wait another hour or so to be called in) then you may pay relatively small fee in exchange for professional representation and to avoid situation like one I got myself into.

Tell your attorney NOT TO INTERFERE unless USCIS officer makes an obvious error or asks totally irrelevant to AOS forms questions.

If your attorney interferes , interrupts the officer and keeps telling you what to answer then the officer may grow suspicious that there is something wrong and this will cause major hurdles in processing of your case.

If you are lucky and the USCIS officer is experienced and knows his job well then you may not need any attorney at all. Google and find out if the local office had recently hired a lot of new officers. Older and more experienced the officers - higher chances you will pass the interview and be approved on the spot (assuming your case is straightforward and you submit all evidence needed with your application).

Good luck to you and all the best.

You are simply :wow:

Thanks for explaining in detail, and logical ! :)

i think if you hire an attorney or interview, you need to sit with him and explain your case before interview so that he can help you at the interview. that makes sense...

How we inform USCIS that this attorney will be joining us at the interview otherwise they won't allow somebody with you to get in, right?

Edited by Dave&Judy

Get Fit > Learn > Work Harder >> Earn your Happiness !

May GOD bless All !

2007 - Entered, Start work in USA on H1B

2010 - Met my now wife :-)

2012 - Got married -> I Do !

July, 2012 - Preparing AOS package

You are simply :wow:

Thanks for explaining in detail, and logical ! :)

i think if you hire an attorney or interview, you need to sit with him and explain your case before interview so that he can help you at the interview. that makes sense...

How we inform USCIS that this attorney will be joining us at the interview otherwise they won't allow somebody with you to get in, right?

You are welcome! :)

I am not sure how exactly to notify local USCIS, may be your attorney can mail G-28 to local office in response to appointment letter (once you receive it). In any event that's for the attorney to sort out.

You can ask the him/her in advance, even before filing your AOS. You can say "here is what I will do, can you represent me during the interview ONLY?"

A good attorney will work with you. He has nothing to lose, you are not taking his time to file your package, he will in fact do the least amount of work (sit as a witness during your interview and make sure no admin. error is made while at it) and he will get paid for it. Why not?

Just follow the steps about vetting an attorney, call some and chose the best (quality and personality wise).

Remember, a good attorney while not able to make a statutorily ineligible client (convicted felon, etc) eligible for AOS, will nevertheless make sure you don't get delayed or denied due to incompetence and outright administrative error

of the interviewing officer.

Good luck!

Edited by asdfg

I-485/I-130 filed: January 26,2012 (130/485 sent to Chicago lockbox, transferred to MSC, field office Baltimore, MD).

Contacted offices of Honorable Senator Ben Cardin and Barbara Mikulski at the end of July.

I-485 DECISION MADE on August 03, 2012 , LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER CONTACTING THE SENATOR'S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ON CASE STATUS!

Timeline

asdfg Thanks for that response. I agree that an attorney (especially one that isn't familiar with the case) can cause more problems sometimes. I filed all of the paperwork myself. I had my paperwork reviewed by an attorney before turning it. Since then I've gotten an RFE and have called the attorney multiple times and they have given me advice over the phone. We are going to this attorney on Wednesday for an interview prep. I'm pretty sure I will have them present at the interview also, just to be safe.

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

asdfg Thanks for that response. I agree that an attorney (especially one that isn't familiar with the case) can cause more problems sometimes. I filed all of the paperwork myself. I had my paperwork reviewed by an attorney before turning it. Since then I've gotten an RFE and have called the attorney multiple times and they have given me advice over the phone. We are going to this attorney on Wednesday for an interview prep. I'm pretty sure I will have them present at the interview also, just to be safe.

You are welcome YasJun.

What exactly did you get RFE for, if I may ask?

Timeline

I got an RFE for I-864. My wife had just started her full time job so her taxes from the year before did not prove 125% of the poverty guideline. We sent a letter from her employer verifying her annual salary which met the guideline. I guess it wasn't good enough since it did not match her taxes. I found another sponsor though and sent in another I-864. My interview is now set for August 14.

Edited by YasJun

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.