Ruemonst

How to get marriage license

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

Well after six years and two K-1 attempts my fiancee finally arrived on July 4th.

We went to Philadelphia today for a marriage license. The woman that we spoke with, said

that my fiancee needs two forms of I.D. and a translated copy of her divorce decree.

Unfortunately my fiancee only has her passport.

Not sure what to do now.

I would have thought that if a K-1 visa was issued. The people at city hall would

realize that USCIS had already verified her eligibility.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Ed

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Does the 2 forms of ID need to have pictures on them? My fiance needs two forms of ID but in NY they told me when the time comes to bring his passport and birth certificate as ID. I am assuming you have your fiances birth certificate since you needed to get one for the interview. If you don't have her birth certificate you should contact the Russian embassy in the USA and see how you can get a copy of her birth certificate.

Good luck!

Edited by Lalo & Susana

event.png

event.png

Removal of Conditions
08/25/2015: I-751 Sent 08/28/2015: I-751 Delivered

09/04/2015: NOA1 Received 09/25/2015: Biometrics Appointment
TBA: Interview Appointment TBA: Removal of Conditions Approved

AOS
06/11/2013: I-485 & I-765 Sent
06/13/2013: NOA1 Received (AOS & EAD)
07/11/2013: Biometrics Appointment 08/15/2013: EAD Approved
08/26/2013: EAD Card Received 09/16/2013: Interview Waived Letter Received
11/20/2013: AOS Approved

K-1
06/21/2012: I-129F Sent 06/27/2012: I-129F NOA1

12/21/2012: NVC Received 12/28/2012: NVC Left
01/07/2013: Consulate Received 02/27/2013: Interview Date

03/05/2013: Visa Received 03/15/2013: US Entry

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The second photo ID is only required if you don't have SSN or translated birth certificate. Do you have a copy of the translated birth certificate that was required at the embassy? If not, apply for SSN, wait until you get it and then chase after that marriage license.

Edit: People at city hall aren't likely to know requirements for specific visas so they can't just take your word for your eligibility.

PA requirements: http://secureprod.phila.gov/wills/marriagelicense.aspx

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Go elsewhere to get married! The rules were different here in Florida by county. In Osceola county, all he needed was his passport...nothing else at all. They didn't care about divorce decrees or if he had a fiance visa. As long as 2 people had some form of identity (and a passport was fine), you signed a paper saying you were free to marry and that was it. If you can't find anything closer, head to Florida, lol.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Timeline

Hi,

Well after six years and two K-1 attempts my fiancee finally arrived on July 4th.

We went to Philadelphia today for a marriage license. The woman that we spoke with, said

that my fiancee needs two forms of I.D. and a translated copy of her divorce decree.

Unfortunately my fiancee only has her passport.

Not sure what to do now.

I would have thought that if a K-1 visa was issued. The people at city hall would

realize that USCIS had already verified her eligibility.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Ed

Fly to Nevada get married in Las Vegas they only require her passport to get a license and you can marry immediately.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Fly to Nevada get married in Las Vegas they only require her passport to get a license and you can marry immediately.

That seems to be the best thing to do in this case, since I doubt you are going to find a place near PA that will do it without a divorce decree. The Northeast has more laws. :P

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Go elsewhere to get married! The rules were different here in Florida by county. In Osceola county, all he needed was his passport...nothing else at all. They didn't care about divorce decrees or if he had a fiance visa. As long as 2 people had some form of identity (and a passport was fine), you signed a paper saying you were free to marry and that was it. If you can't find anything closer, head to Florida, lol.

That"s a great idea!!!lorida.

I spent the winter in Florida and my DL and car registration is from F

Does she have her internal passport as well as the international passport? That might provide two forms of ID. But, I'm with the others. Find somewhere else to marry. We did not need to provide anything other than ID, my California license and her passport. Got it all done at the county clerks office for $128 which included 5 sets of marriage certificates. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

So odd how different things are county by county, but glad you found a county nearby!

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

This is what I'm doing next time.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.