Captain Oates

Northerners have bigger brains

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's grim up North... which gives the locals bigger brains

By Fiona Macrae

Grey matter: Has Northern dimness led to the evolution of bigger brains?

Grey matter: Has Northern dimness led to the evolution of bigger brains?

For Northerners tiring of those old jokes about them being less than bright, help is at hand.

Scientists say the Northern brain is actually bigger than those of the South.

But before Northerners round triumphantly on their pea-brained Southern critics, big doesn’t necessarily mean smarter.

Instead, the extra grey matter simply helps them see clearly in the lower light levels that come with living at high latitudes.

To put it another way, Northern dimness led to the evolution of bigger brains.

The intriguing theory comes from Oxford University scientists who measured the brain volume of 55 skulls from around the world.

Some were English, others came from as far afield as China, Africa and the Pacific Islands.

Plotting brain volume with the geographical location of the person’s country clearly showed that the further north they lived, the bigger their brain.

Scandinavians had the most brain power and Pacific Islanders the least. Measurements of the eye sockets also showed that those from northern climes had bigger eyes.

My link

article-2019172-001922B300000258-598_233x423.jpg

Edited by Ashud Cocoa

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Living in an environment that is inhospitable gives a relative survival benefit to those with greater ingenuity to solve those problems!

Edited by james&olya

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The size of the brain really doesn't matter in humans because we only use a small portion of the storage capacity any way - under 10%.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

The size of the brain really doesn't matter in humans because we only use a small portion of the storage capacity any way - under 10%.

My brain weighs 2.5 lbs and my wife's weighs 2lbs -although I have not yet had the opportunity to get them out and check that..

It's been close some times

I am reliably informed by my own expert in all things, that brain weight and volume has no bearing on intelligence except that it can hold an inverse relationship

Edited by Ashud Cocoa

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

My brain weighs 2.5 lbs and my wife's weighs 2lbs -although I have not yet had the opportunity to get them out and check that..

I am reliably informed by my own expert in all things, that brain weight and volume has no bearing on intelligence except that it can hold an inverse relationship

Is that the wife talking? :devil: After all the wives are usually the more level headed one in a relationship.

Edited by kennard

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So calling someone 'pea-brained' is a compliment? :lol:

Timeline

So calling someone 'pea-brained' is a compliment? :lol:

:yes:

23-09-86.jpg

Edited by kennard

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Is that the wife talking? :devil: After all the wives are usually the more level headed one in a relationship.

I haven't looked into head shape yet so I am not sure whether she is level headed, although midget wives are supposed to be good for resting one's beer glass, and level headedness in that case would be an additional attractive attribute..

My cat has got a smaller brain than a cow - and I have never seen a cow catch a fly in mid leap. So any relationship cannot be universal

Its still hot here

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Dear Mods,

It's about England. Who cares? Please move this thread to the appropriate regional forum. It has nothing to do with anything political or religious, or intelligent life in the US.

Thank you for your indulgence,

Edited by ☼

Timeline

Dear Mods,

It's about England. Who cares? Please move this thread to the appropriate regional forum. It has nothing to do with anything political or religious, or intelligent life in the US.

Thank you for your indulgence,

If you read it , you will see that the skulls come from Northern regions all over the world

MODS - please move this poster to South Carolina

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, since this really does have no relevance to Politics or Religion (or at least none that have yet been inferred) I am moving the topic to where it belongs - Off Topic.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

MODS - please move this poster to South Carolina

That's in the Caroline's, right? How far is that from Ponape? Been there. Nice place, but rains too much. There are some crazy little girls there. The pepper steak is excellent. The Kapingamarangi make some decent wood carvings. I bought two sharks and two dolphins last time I was there on LOA from Kwajalein.