Henia

Sultan's Kitchen

1,134 posts in this topic

never tried the ikea tagine, but i've seen it there, and it looks nice. it's a nice size too.

Yup, it's a nice size, nice weight to it, etc. Husband cooked with it the other night & it was really good.

Also, the couscoussier (spell?) from table la sur came yesterday, so hopefully we'll be trying it out this weekend.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

Anyone have quick tips for lovely, fluffy couscous?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Ramadan Mubarak!

Meriem (F)

Chorba Frik ' Jari' 'جاري' شربة فريك

Ingredients:

250g of lamb meat (on the bone cut into small pieces)

250g of chicken pieces (on the bone cut into small pieces)

1 big onion finely chopped

3 garlic cloves finely chopped

1 celery stick

1 small carrot finely grated

1 small courgette finely grated

(Optional) 1 or 2 fresh green mild chillies

1 teacup Frik or burghul (cracked wheat)

½ cup ready cooked chickpeas

½ tin chopped tomatoes

2 tbsp tomato pate

1 to 2 tbsp Olive oil

1 cup of chopped coriander leaves

2 tbsp dried mint (or fresh)

½ tbsp coriander powder

½ tbsp cinnamon

½ tbsp paprika

Black pepper

Salt

(Optional) Lemon wedges

Steps:

1. Heat the oil then add the meat, onion, carrot, courgette, salt, pepper and the rest of the spices. Mix everything and cook on a low heat to sweat the onions and the vegetables2. When onions are soft add 1 to 1 ½ litre of water and the chillies and cook until meat is cooked.3. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and burghul and leave to cook for 15 to 20 minutes4. Check seasoning, then add mint and coriander leaves5. Serve with a nice piece of bread and a squeeze of a fresh lemon

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

I haven't posted in a very long time so I am in shock (LOL). I am looking for the receipes for macaroni bechamel and egyptian meatloaf, can anyone help? I did manage to find something for the macaroni bechamel but there are so many different versions I don't know which is which and it has been a while since I actually made either of these dishes. I would like to make the macaroni bechamel for Thanksgiving as something non-traditional. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yup, it's a nice size, nice weight to it, etc. Husband cooked with it the other night & it was really good.

Also, the couscoussier (spell?) from table la sur came yesterday, so hopefully we'll be trying it out this weekend.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

Anyone have quick tips for lovely, fluffy couscous?

Thanks

I usually place my couscous grain in a glass microwavable bowl and microwave it seperately from my actual meat/vegetables. I do use the same broth & spice mix tho. Fluffs and tastes the same (I find) whether in the couscouserie or microwaved

Edited by Olive♥

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Bourchoucha is just couscous. You can find many Algerian recipes on my blog http://simplicitybythesea.blogspot.com/ but for the recipe you are asking for you need:

2 TBS tomato paste, hot pepper or harissa to taste, 1pureed red pepper wihtout the skin, black pepper, salt, olive oil, 1 onion, 3-4 carrots, 2 zuchinni, chickpeas or fava beans.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok...so I'm never going to make it through 75 pages of recipes. Is there any chance someone has a basboosa recipe. (basboosa is my husband's first wife... *eye roll* and I think he loves her more than me) I am positively a wreck in the kitchen but I would love to try to master this. I tried one recipe and I think it was mostly a fail--I would like to give it another go.

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Cooking with Alia's youtube video's has many great Moroccan recipes. She has a Saudi friend that just started a youtube channel and this is her first recipe video. Alia has made a few videos with her on her channel.

http://www.youtube.c...withalia/videos

This is a Saudi recipe called Kabsa. It looks really good. I am going to try it soon!

http://www.youtube.c...M&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0XZviBdDLM&feature=share

Edited by Meriem_DZ

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Kabsa is delicious! When I make it I don't remove the chicken, I just add he rice and cook it in the oven. It steams very nicely in the oven. I usually use Uncle Ben's rice because its pretty much fool proof in this recipe plus you won't have to soak it like basmati. For the spice mix I use curry powder,tumeric, cinnamon, cumin, all spice, cardamon and coriander. No cloves as I find it a bit strong. I don't add carrots but imagine it would taste good. I mix the yellow raisins in with the rice instead of putting on top.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

Kabsa is delicious! When I make it I don't remove the chicken, I just add he rice and cook it in the oven. It steams very nicely in the oven. I usually use Uncle Ben's rice because its pretty much fool proof in this recipe plus you won't have to soak it like basmati. For the spice mix I use curry powder,tumeric, cinnamon, cumin, all spice, cardamon and coriander. No cloves as I find it a bit strong. I don't add carrots but imagine it would taste good. I mix the yellow raisins in with the rice instead of putting on top.

Thanks for the tips! I have been to busy to make it the last few days, but I am going to try it soon! Inshaallah

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.