Tim & Rocelle

Change of address nightmare. Help?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My faith in the US government and my spirit are both at an all-time low right now. This whole process takes its toll on all (as you all know) and I'm at a low point right now. And I will preface this by saying that I know that in the grand scheme of things, my case is really no different than anyone else's and my wait times have been normal throughout this whole process. But it doesn't help the frustration and sadness.

Here's the deal:

- When we submitted our I-129F form, my fiancee lived in Dubai, so of course that was the address we put on the form.

- About 2 months into the USCIS waiting period, she moved to Vancouver, BC

- I called USCIS to ask what I needed to do and they basically told me that there was nothing they can do and that I would have to try to wait until it go to NVC and have them change it there.

- Fast forward a few months and we got our NOA2 5 months after or priority date

- I called NVC until they received it and got the case number. The case number started with ABD which means it was going to be sent to Abu Dhabi (Dubai does not handle K-1's apparently)

- I asked what I needed to do to change the address and the person on the phone told me that I needed to send an e-mail to NVCInquiry@state.gov with certain bits of information (no need to put that here) and to request that the address for the beneficiary be changed to her new address along with the request to change the consulate.

- I sent this email the DAY AFTER it arrived at the NVC.

- I waited two days and called back to see if my case had left NVC yet and if it's going to the right consulate. They said it was still assigned to Abu Dhabi but to give it some time and call back in a few days (today).

- This morning I received an e-mail saying that our case was forwarded to Abu Dhabi even though I sent the request for the transfer!!!! :bonk::angry:

- I called two different NVC representatives and they both basically told me "sorry, it's out of our hands, there's nothing we can do now"

- I'm told my only options now are to contact both Montreal and Abu Dhabi to request that the case be transferred. No one at NVC knew what the process was for this, they had no idea if Abu Dhabi was going to take weeks and weeks to process this and send it to my fiancee's OLD address, wait for it to be returned by the postal service, etc...

So.. I'm wondering if anyone had dealt with a situation like this (of course not with the same embassy, but you get the idea). Do I just contact both Montreal and Abu Dhabi to beg them to transfer the case?

I'm so frustrated because it's already been MONTHS of waiting and I have done everything in my power, everything that I have been told to do and it still got sent to the wrong place. Now we've added potentially weeks or MONTHS onto the whole process. It baffles me that NVC could not have changed the address once they had the case in some other fashion than me sending an email to a general mailbox. The incompetence is overwhelming me right now. On top of all of this, Abu Dhabi has ONE HOUR PER DAY that their phone lines are open. How freaking ridiculous is THAT!?!?!

Any information anyone can provide me or experiences would be helpful.

Tim

1/7/12 - I-129F Sent to Dallas Lockbox

1/10/12 - Package delivered!

1/12/12 - Notice that package is being forwarded to Vermont Service Center

1/17/12 - NOA1 received!! Notice Date 01/11/2012

6/13/12 - NOA2 APPROVED! 5-months to the date of them receiving it.

6/21/12 - NVC Received (I think, I called on 22 early morning and it had an NVC case number already). Assigned an Abu Dhabi case number. Asked NVC what I needed to do to change consulates and followed the procedures exactly as they told me.

6/29/12 - NVC sent our case to the wrong consulate even though I followed every procedure to notify them of change-of-address

6/29/12 - Emailed both Abu Dhabi and Montreal to request transfer to the correct consulate (Montreal)

7/16/12 - Frustrated by no reply from Montreal, I contacted my local congressman asking for help

7/18/12 - Phone call from rep of the congressman offering me help, very nice people!

7/24/12 - Thanks to local congressman's help, Montreal officially requesting case from Abu Dhabi (one month delay but at least we're back on track)

8/06/12 - Abu Dhabi officially received request from Montreal

8/22/12 - Received Packet 3 email from Montreal. Started gathering final documents

9/14/12 - Received e-mail from Montreal to hold on to our Packet 3 because our case is being forward to Vancouver (GRRR!!!! MORE TIME! But lucky because we were sending packet 3 papers THAT NEXT DAY)

9/27/12 - Received packet 3 letter from Vancouver.

11/5/12 - Medical Interview (everything's ok, thank god)

11/20/12 - Interview appt at Vancouver Consulate - APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU GOD!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My faith in the US government and my spirit are both at an all-time low right now. This whole process takes its toll on all (as you all know) and I'm at a low point right now. And I will preface this by saying that I know that in the grand scheme of things, my case is really no different than anyone else's and my wait times have been normal throughout this whole process. But it doesn't help the frustration and sadness.

Here's the deal:

- When we submitted our I-129F form, my fiancee lived in Dubai, so of course that was the address we put on the form.

- About 2 months into the USCIS waiting period, she moved to Vancouver, BC

- I called USCIS to ask what I needed to do and they basically told me that there was nothing they can do and that I would have to try to wait until it go to NVC and have them change it there.

- Fast forward a few months and we got our NOA2 5 months after or priority date

- I called NVC until they received it and got the case number. The case number started with ABD which means it was going to be sent to Abu Dhabi (Dubai does not handle K-1's apparently)

- I asked what I needed to do to change the address and the person on the phone told me that I needed to send an e-mail to NVCInquiry@state.gov with certain bits of information (no need to put that here) and to request that the address for the beneficiary be changed to her new address along with the request to change the consulate.

- I sent this email the DAY AFTER it arrived at the NVC.

- I waited two days and called back to see if my case had left NVC yet and if it's going to the right consulate. They said it was still assigned to Abu Dhabi but to give it some time and call back in a few days (today).

- This morning I received an e-mail saying that our case was forwarded to Abu Dhabi even though I sent the request for the transfer!!!! :bonk::angry:

- I called two different NVC representatives and they both basically told me "sorry, it's out of our hands, there's nothing we can do now"

- I'm told my only options now are to contact both Montreal and Abu Dhabi to request that the case be transferred. No one at NVC knew what the process was for this, they had no idea if Abu Dhabi was going to take weeks and weeks to process this and send it to my fiancee's OLD address, wait for it to be returned by the postal service, etc...

So.. I'm wondering if anyone had dealt with a situation like this (of course not with the same embassy, but you get the idea). Do I just contact both Montreal and Abu Dhabi to beg them to transfer the case?

I'm so frustrated because it's already been MONTHS of waiting and I have done everything in my power, everything that I have been told to do and it still got sent to the wrong place. Now we've added potentially weeks or MONTHS onto the whole process. It baffles me that NVC could not have changed the address once they had the case in some other fashion than me sending an email to a general mailbox. The incompetence is overwhelming me right now. On top of all of this, Abu Dhabi has ONE HOUR PER DAY that their phone lines are open. How freaking ridiculous is THAT!?!?!

Any information anyone can provide me or experiences would be helpful.

Tim

Try sending email to the duty officer at the consulate section of the embassy. They provide services to American citizen only. They do not do visa work. However what you are asking as a citizen is help in locating the case. Send them the USCIS & NVC case numbers and any other inof you may have.

My husband did this for our case and the duty officer found the case the following day.

Timeline

Try sending email to the duty officer at the consulate section of the embassy. They provide services to American citizen only. They do not do visa work. However what you are asking as a citizen is help in locating the case. Send them the USCIS & NVC case numbers and any other inof you may have.

My husband did this for our case and the duty officer found the case the following day.

Thanks for the reply, Ning. Are you suggesting that I contact the Embassy in Abu Dhabi or Montreal? Or both? I assume you mean Abu Dhabi but I'm just asking to be sure... I appreciate your response.

6/21/12 - NVC Received (I think, I called on 22 early morning and it had an NVC case number already). Assigned an Abu Dhabi case number. Asked NVC what I needed to do to change consulates and followed the procedures exactly as they told me.

6/29/12 - NVC sent our case to the wrong consulate even though I followed every procedure to notify them of change-of-address

6/29/12 - Emailed both Abu Dhabi and Montreal to request transfer to the correct consulate (Montreal)

7/16/12 - Frustrated by no reply from Montreal, I contacted my local congressman asking for help

7/18/12 - Phone call from rep of the congressman offering me help, very nice people!

7/24/12 - Thanks to local congressman's help, Montreal officially requesting case from Abu Dhabi (one month delay but at least we're back on track)

8/22/12 - Received Packet 3 email from Montreal. Started gathering final documents

9/14/12 - Received e-mail from Montreal to hold on to our Packet 3 because our case is being forward to Vancouver (GRRR!!!! MORE TIME! But lucky because we were sending packet 3 papers THAT NEXT DAY)

11/20/12 - Interview appt at Vancouver Consulate - APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU GOD!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why would you contact Montreal if she lives in Vancouver?

You would contact the Vancouver US embassy and the foreign embassy and have them move the file for you.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Why would you contact Montreal if she lives in Vancouver?

You would contact the Vancouver US embassy and the foreign embassy and have them move the file for you.

She is not a Canadian citizen. I'm told that Vancouver only does visas for Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents (which she is not, she's there on a working visa). So everyone I've talked to said she's going to have to go through Montreal. I would MUCH rather have it in Vancouver, but...

Edited by Tim & Rocelle

Timeline

She is not a Canadian citizen. I'm told that Vancouver only does visas for Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents (which she is not, she's there on a working visa). So everyone I've talked to said she's going to have to go through Montreal. I would MUCH rather have it in Vancouver, but...

Van should accept the working visa as proof of legal residence. Just like Montreal does. Did you contact them via Email?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the reply, Ning. Are you suggesting that I contact the Embassy in Abu Dhabi or Montreal? Or both? I assume you mean Abu Dhabi but I'm just asking to be sure... I appreciate your response.

I would ask the duty officer in Montreal to find the case if thats where you want it sent to. Tell them you think it was sent to A D. I hope as in my case they will track it down & have it forwarded to the correct embassy. At least you will have the U S govt trying to figure out what the U S govt is doing.

Timeline

Van should accept the working visa as proof of legal residence. Just like Montreal does. Did you contact them via Email?

I didn't, actually. Everyone I've ever talked to said that she would have to go through Montreal so I never even tried Vancouver. I will email them now!

Timeline

I didn't, actually. Everyone I've ever talked to said that she would have to go through Montreal so I never even tried Vancouver. I will email them now!

Always best to ask directly to the source. good.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi Tim.

Had a similar situation recently, different embassies involved obviously. I moved to a different country before receiving NOA2 and also didn't manage to change my address with the NVC in time. I had to get my file transferred from Dublin to Brussels. I contacted the Visa section at Brussels embassy by email and explained the situation. They were very helpful, and told me to let them know when I received package 3 with my Case Number from Dublin. I should point out that the address on the forms for Dublin was my parent's house, so I didn't have to worry about anything being posted to an old address and going missing.

Once Dublin received my file I let Brussels know, and even though they warned it could take weeks, they had my file in about 10 days.

So I'd say as a first step contact whichever embassy she'll be applying at. Guess there's no harm in contacting Abu Dhabi either to let them know the situation.

Hope that helps a little.

Aug 20, 2011 - J turns 29 and we start our journey! I-129f in the mail!

Aug 22, 2011 - Package was delivered at 11:04 am on August 22, 2011 in DALLAS, TX 75222

Aug 26, 2011 - NOA1 e-confirmation.

Aug 29, 2011 - NOA1 hard copy.

Jan 20, 2012 - NOA2

---> NVC---->

Feb 06, 2012 - At Consulate in Dublin.

Forwarded to Brussels

Feb 23, 2012 - At Consulate in Brussels.

Feb 27, 2012 - Received Packet 3.

Timeline

Hi Tim.

Had a similar situation recently, different embassies involved obviously. I moved to a different country before receiving NOA2 and also didn't manage to change my address with the NVC in time. I had to get my file transferred from Dublin to Brussels. I contacted the Visa section at Brussels embassy by email and explained the situation. They were very helpful, and told me to let them know when I received package 3 with my Case Number from Dublin. I should point out that the address on the forms for Dublin was my parent's house, so I didn't have to worry about anything being posted to an old address and going missing.

Once Dublin received my file I let Brussels know, and even though they warned it could take weeks, they had my file in about 10 days.

So I'd say as a first step contact whichever embassy she'll be applying at. Guess there's no harm in contacting Abu Dhabi either to let them know the situation.

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you so much for the reply! It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I really just hope they don't try to send it to her old place of residence...

Filed: Timeline

Wow ..that's a mess. I turned in a change of address form directly to the USCIS and received a letter back from them about 4 weeks later confirming it. I see that's what is on the paperwork now too.

Sorry for your bouncing --- just remember who has government jobs for civil service. Most (if not all) are not college graduates. :crying:

Timeline

Always best to ask directly to the source. good.gif

Well, I called Vancouver consulate today and they said that K-1's must be done through Montreal... It stinks, but they have an optional "all electronic" submission method so maybe that will help speed things up once it gets there. Plus, it will give us time to explore Montreal for a mini-vacation whenever the interview gets scheduled.

Timeline

Wow ..that's a mess. I turned in a change of address form directly to the USCIS and received a letter back from them about 4 weeks later confirming it. I see that's what is on the paperwork now too.

Sorry for your bouncing --- just remember who has government jobs for civil service. Most (if not all) are not college graduates. :crying:

There is a form if the Petitioner moves addresses but unfortunately there is no form if the Beneficiary moves. Both the USCIS and the NVC told me that I had to "catch it" at the NVC stage and tell them to change the address.

It's such a shame because I really thought we were nearing the end of being apart and not it just grows further and further away. It's slowly taking it's mental and spiritual toll on both of us.

Well, I called Vancouver consulate today and they said that K-1's must be done through Montreal... It stinks, but they have an optional "all electronic" submission method so maybe that will help speed things up once it gets there. Plus, it will give us time to explore Montreal for a mini-vacation whenever the interview gets scheduled.

Given the wait at Montreal for an interview date, you may want to see if you can still go thru Abu Dhabi as it may actually be faster, assuming she can afford the time off of work.

Just a thought.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.