Lisa-O

K1 applied for can I apply for a working visa while I wait and do I need to apply for a new driving license

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Its me again...just trying to weight up all of my options here. I'm currently waiting for my NOA2 (next few days hopefully) I'm looking to go to the states asap on a tourist visa a few weeks before we get married, if I dont get the visa before that is! Ive had a look into freelancing, which Ive read up on, and from what I can gather, as long as my wages are paid into a UK bank account Im all good? I do not in any way want to get myself into trouble and work illegally...so I wanted to know if anyone has any experience in this field.

Also, I have held a UK driving license for 14 years, and presumed it would be ok to take this with me, but a couple of my fiance's relatives believe I will need to take a test in the US...is that correct?

Thankyou for your help, since I joined yesterday I've learned more about processing times, and it's comforting to see other couples going through the same process. Good Luck everyone :)

Hey guys,

Its me again...just trying to weight up all of my options here. I'm currently waiting for my NOA2 (next few days hopefully) I'm looking to go to the states asap on a tourist visa a few weeks before we get married, if I dont get the visa before that is! Ive had a look into freelancing, which Ive read up on, and from what I can gather, as long as my wages are paid into a UK bank account Im all good? I do not in any way want to get myself into trouble and work illegally...so I wanted to know if anyone has any experience in this field.

Also, I have held a UK driving license for 14 years, and presumed it would be ok to take this with me, but a couple of my fiance's relatives believe I will need to take a test in the US...is that correct?

Thankyou for your help, since I joined yesterday I've learned more about processing times, and it's comforting to see other couples going through the same process. Good Luck everyone :)

Another VJ-er may be able to provide more advice on the freelance option, but do be careful that you don't work for a US-based employer without receiving the appropriate employer authorization document (EAD) first.

On the driver's license item, this varies by state. Click on the link in my signature below to get access to the motor vehicles department for the state where you'll live.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The rules for drivers licenses vary from state to state, I'm not sure which one you are in so I can't give you the exact facts. You may or may not be able to drive on your UK license for a short period of time. You will need to get a drivers license for your state, if not only for ID purposes. In my state you cannot apply for a drivers license before receiving your GC, others only require an EAD. To get the license you will have to take the written and driving test, you cannot exchange your UK license.

Another VJ-er may be able to provide more advice on the freelance option, but do be careful that you don't work for a US-based employer without receiving the appropriate employer authorization document (EAD) first.

On the driver's license item, this varies by state. Click on the link in my signature below to get access to the motor vehicles department for the state where you'll live.

Thankyou for your help :) If I can establish myself, I want to be self employed...but definately want to do things by the books! I dont want to give the embassy any excuse to reject my visa application. I'll check that link now - enjoy your day :)

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Thankyou for your help :) If I can establish myself, I want to be self employed...but definately want to do things by the books! I dont want to give the embassy any excuse to reject my visa application. I'll check that link now - enjoy your day :)

Your British license is valid for one year. If you are driving someone else's car - i.e. not a rental - make sure their insurance policy will cover you for the period you will be driving.

source: http://london.usembassy.gov/rctour.html

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Your British license is valid for one year. If you are driving someone else's car - i.e. not a rental - make sure their insurance policy will cover you for the period you will be driving.

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

I think that only applies to visitors and not residents.

That information is geared towards tourists...not someone who is moving to the U.S. As mentioned, the use of a non-US driver's license varies by state, so the OP is best served by reviewing the requirements of their state to see how long they can drive with their UK license before having to secure a state license.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I think that only applies to visitors and not residents.

Absolutely correct. I was going with the presumption the driver is not a resident yet...

That information is geared towards tourists...

Absolutely correct. I was going with the presumption the driver is not a resident yet...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Hey guys,

Its me again...just trying to weight up all of my options here. I'm currently waiting for my NOA2 (next few days hopefully) I'm looking to go to the states asap on a tourist visa a few weeks before we get married, if I dont get the visa before that is!

A tourist visa or using the VWP is for VISITING the US. It cannot be used to move permanently to the US before you get your K-1 visa. How are you going to explain to the border authority that you are just visiting when you intend to permanently move? How are you going to explain that you using your tourist visa to permanently move to the US?

Once in the US, you wouldn't need the K-1 visa. The visa will be issued in the UK. It is used to enter the US. You wouldn't need it if you are already in the US.

You may end up with some serious problems here if the border authority believe that you are abusing the tourist visa to illegally immigrate to the US.

Wait for the K-1 visa. You don't want to create trouble for yourself. You've waited over 6 months. You can wait a few more weeks.

Ive had a look into freelancing, which Ive read up on, and from what I can gather, as long as my wages are paid into a UK bank account Im all good? I do not in any way want to get myself into trouble and work illegally...so I wanted to know if anyone has any experience in this field.

It's not about where your wages are into. It could be an account anywhere in the world. That's not the issue for the US government.

The US government is concern about you taking work away from a US person. If the work could be done when you are outside the US, then freelancing is generally okay. Think of it this way, lots of foreigners vacation in the US. Lots of them conduct business by phone or computer while on vacation. Business that usually occur at home and conducting it while in the US on vacation does not take a job away from a US person.

If is work that must be perform in the US, then you can't do it. You need work authorization.

What type of freelancing are you planning to do?

You will need to test for a new driver's license.

Driver licenses are issued by individual states. The requirement for you will depend on which state you intend to immigrate to.

Generally, most state grants new residents a short grace period before them to test for a state driver's license. You may have 10 days or 30 days. Check with your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys,

Are you serious?

Why are you even going to consider this when you are so close in the process?

Are you serious?

Hey Everyone, thanks for the information...seems I need totake the test again :'(

I was thinking of going for a longer 'holiday' (within visiting visa) and come back for the interview...it's probably me being impatient, but at the rate I'm going I'll see my fiance 2 days before our wedding, and I have a cake and flowers to organise, I just want to be there already!!!

Timeline

Hey Everyone, thanks for the information...seems I need totake the test again :'(

I was thinking of going for a longer 'holiday' (within visiting visa) and come back for the interview...it's probably me being impatient, but at the rate I'm going I'll see my fiance 2 days before our wedding, and I have a cake and flowers to organise, I just want to be there already!!!

You have 6 months from the time they issue your visa to enter the USA. You then have 90 days to get married. You should have a little more than 2 days. ;) Try not to worry too much, it will be all over before you know it. Spend your time with friends and family while you still can. Go to your favourite places and try to think about something else.

You have 6 months from the time they issue your visa to enter the USA. You then have 90 days to get married. You should have a little more than 2 days. ;) Try not to worry too much, it will be all over before you know it. Spend your time with friends and family while you still can. Go to your favourite places and try to think about something else.

Sorry I hadnt explained that one, yeah from the time the visa is issued I will have more time, Im thinking of worst case scenareo...I need to be more positive!!

Timeline

Sorry I hadnt explained that one, yeah from the time the visa is issued I will have more time, Im thinking of worst case scenareo...I need to be more positive!!

It's ok! This is a very stressful period and so many things are going on. Arranging a wedding is hard enough in your own country, let alone when you're trying to settle into a new one and don't know where anything is. I hope you have someone who can help you arrange things when you arrive. In the meantime all you can do is try and occupy your time with other things to try and take your mind off it. Being positive is the only thing that will get you through the wait. Hang in there! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.