january7th

Is it really need to attend CFO seminars?

15 posts in this topic

Ok. To make the long story short, here's my question: Is it really need to attend the CFO seminar? When is the best date to go, after the visa interview or before the interview? I am planning to go medical this last week of the month (what would be the best day for this?)Just curious, that is why I am asking this kind of query. I already read some thread regarding this matter, I already have birth cert, marriage cert, ID's, passport, and what else do I need to bring aside from that? Payment maybe. How about pictures? PLease share :)

Thanks in advance.

June 2011 - 130

June 2011 - NOA1

Dec 2011 - RFE

Jan 2012 - NOA2 (approved)

Feb 2012 - NVC case #

Mar 2012 - DS-3032

Mar 2012 - AOS paid

May 2012 - IV paid

May 2012 - DS-230

May 2012 - checklist

June 2012 - Case Complete

July 2012 - Interview Scheduled

anzcecu7pube.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The CFO is a requirement of the Philippine government. If you don't attend and receive the sticker, you will not be able to board the plane to leave for the US.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just like what Anh map said, it is a requirement. I suggest you take the seminar once you have your passport with VISA, coz CFO sticker will not be issue unless you present them your passport with VISA.

I-129F/AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

I-129F TIMELINE

07/01/2011 - MAILED I-129F

07/07/2011 - NOA1 - PRIORITY DATE

08/17/2011 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF NOA1.. IT TOOK 1 MONTH TO RECEIVED DUE TO USCIS SENT IT TO THE WRONG ADDRESS..

11/16/2011 - WEBSITE STATUS: PETITION APPROVED! :)

11/23/2011 - SENT DOCUMENTS TO USEM

12/19-20/2011 - MEDICAL EXAM @ ST. LUKE'S - PASSED! :)

01/06/2012 - SCHEDULED OF INTERVIEW. VISA APPROVED! :)

01/20/2012 - VISA ON HAND AND TAKE CFO SEMINAR

01/22/2012 - SCHEDULE OF FLIGHT.. MNL-JPN-USA!! WELCOME TO AMERICA!!! :)

AOS/EAD/AP TIMELINE

03/13/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

03/25/2012 - Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

03/21/2012 - Received email and text, Acceptance of all forms for AOS/EAD/AP

03/22/2012 - Checks cashed by USCIS

03/26/2012 - Received all NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

03/29/2012 - Received biometrics appointment letter..

04/23/2012 - Done with biometrics..

05/07/2012 - EAD / AP APPROVED!

05/10/2012 - EAD Card Production on USCIS Website.. :) Finally!!

05/10/2012 - AOS UPDATE ON WEBSITE: WITH SCHEDULE OF INTERVIEW

05/11/2012 - USPS PICKED UP EAD/AP CARD AT USCIS

05/14/2012 - EAD On Hand!

06/13/2012 - AOS interview.. APPROVED!

06/21/2012 - Green card on hand. TGBG.!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok. To make the long story short, here's my question: Is it really need to attend the CFO seminar? When is the best date to go, after the visa interview or before the interview? I am planning to go medical this last week of the month (what would be the best day for this?)Just curious, that is why I am asking this kind of query. I already read some thread regarding this matter, I already have birth cert, marriage cert, ID's, passport, and what else do I need to bring aside from that? Payment maybe. How about pictures? PLease share :)

Thanks in advance.

I agree with plus 0212 about attending the seminar after you already have your visa. But during my time, I attended it the day before my embassy interview since I didn't have anything to do that day & I was too hyped up (for my interview the next day) to just sit around in my hotel room. I brought all my documents, evidence, and pictures. Make sure you have multiple photocopies of your pertinent papers like Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, NBI, divorce papers (if any), and ID's. I went back to get the CFO sticker after I got my visa.

The schedule of Guidance & Counselling Sessions in Metro Manila

Destination Country

United States of America Monday to Friday 10:00 am, 1:30 pm, 3:30pm

If you plan on attending the morning session/seminar, be sure to arrive before 10 am. I was there 7:30 am and was the 2nd person in line already.

This is the link to CFO website:

http://www.cfo.gov.p...1348&Itemid=918

"Fiancee, Spouses and Other Partners of Foreign Nationals

What you need to know...

As Filipinos going abroad as fiancé(e)s, spouses or other partners of foreign nationals, you are required to attend the CFO's guidance and counseling session in order to secure the Guidance and Counseling Certificate (GCC) and the CFO sticker. You need this certificate to renew or apply for a new passport at the Department of Foreign Affairs (per Department of Foreign Affairs Order Nos. 11-97 Implementing Rules and Regulations for Republic Act 8239, "Philippine Passport Act" and 28-94). You will also need to present this certificate together with your spouse/partner visa, at the Immigration office at the international airport on your day of departure.

To attend the seminar, you may proceed to either two of CFO's service providers: the St. Mary Euphrasia Foundation-Center for Overseas Workers (SMEF-COW) or the People's Reform Initiative for Social Mobilization, Inc. (PRISM).

You will have to bring with you the required documents to be accommodated in the counseling seminar. The counseling session runs for a minimum of two hours and is meant to provide you with adequate information regarding inter-marriage and migration, the cultural and social realities abroad as well as available support networks for women in distress, among others.

After you comply with all the requirements and finish the counseling session, you will be given the Certificate of Attendance by SMEF-COW or PRISM which you will have to bring along with other pertinent documents, to the CFO, for registration. Once you already have your valid passport and spouse/partner visa, then you have to register with the CFO. You will then be issued the GCC as well as the CFO Sticker.

Important Notes:

• The CFO and SMEF-COW have offices in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu. PRISM is in Metro Manila only. Visit the offices where it is most convenient.

• Please check the schedule of the counseling session before proceeding to SMEF-COW or PRISM because it is country-specific and the slots are only limited. It is on a first-come-first-serve basis.

• You may avail of the Guidance and Counseling Session even while you are still processing or waiting for your visa. If such is the case, you will only be issued the GCC. Once your visa is released, you will return to CFO to continue with your registration. The CFO sticker will then be affixed on your passport.

You will pay a fee totaling PhP 650.00. The PhP 250.00 is paid as counseling fee at SMEF-COW or PRISM while the PhP 400.00 is for registration at the CFO."

"Requirements for Registration

1. Original and photocopy of Passport;
  2. Original and photocopy of visa;
  3. Original and photocopy of Immigrant Data Summary for US bound/ Confirmation of Permanent Residence for Canada bound/ Certification of Eligibility (for Japan-bound);
  4. Original CFO guidance and counseling certificate;
  5. Duly completed emigrant registration form; and
  6. Payment of the authorized registration fee."

Requirements for Attendance to Guidance and Counseling Program

1. Two (2) valid identification cards (IDs) with photograph;
  2. Duly completed guidance and counseling form;
  3. If married, certified true copy and photocopy of marriage contract on security paper from the National Statistics Office, or Local Civil Registry Offices; or original and photocopy of marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/ Consulate (if married abroad)
  4. Other documents as may be required by the counselors; and
  5. Payment of P250.00 counseling fee.

Edited by let-it-be

Oh, ok thanks so much. Means before the flight :P

Thanks so much let-it-be. Helpful infos. I'll go on the websites you posted. :thumbs:

June 2011 - 130

June 2011 - NOA1

Dec 2011 - RFE

Feb 2012 - NVC case #

Mar 2012 - DS-3032

Mar 2012 - AOS paid

May 2012 - IV paid

May 2012 - DS-230

May 2012 - checklist

anzcecu7pube.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks in advance.

Yes CFO seminar is needed. for medical 3 pieces 2X2 ID pictures, bring a copy of your NOA 2, you need your case number

Timeline

The most important thing to bring is the right attitude. The last thing you want to do is demonstrate you understand this is extortion by people who have been given the power to withhold immigration from you if you don't bow down before them like a good little slave. Act like you are grateful for having your time and money wasted, and that you are an ignorant weakling child in comparison to their incredible intellect and majesty.

Then go on to live a better life than those petty tyrants who have one thing in life to be cheery about: their little power trip on the immigrants they envy. Know that behind this petty tyranny - they wish that they were you.

Thanks so much to all of your contributes. Ready to printout my scanned NOA2.

June 2011 - 130

June 2011 - NOA1

Dec 2011 - RFE

Feb 2012 - NVC case #

Mar 2012 - DS-3032

Mar 2012 - AOS paid

May 2012 - IV paid

May 2012 - DS-230

May 2012 - checklist

anzcecu7pube.png

The most important thing to bring is the right attitude. The last thing you want to do is demonstrate you understand this is extortion by people who have been given the power to withhold immigration from you if you don't bow down before them like a good little slave. Act like you are grateful for having your time and money wasted, and that you are an ignorant weakling child in comparison to their incredible intellect and majesty.

Then go on to live a better life than those petty tyrants who have one thing in life to be cheery about: their little power trip on the immigrants they envy. Know that behind this petty tyranny - they wish that they were you.

This happens in pretty much every government agency in the Philippines.

It's like they're there to go power tripping and not serve the Filipino people.

grrr. :angry:

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Well, Filipino people used to this kind of government. That is why Philippines is not growing nor excelling. Oooppppssss.. off topic :blink:sorry for this

June 2011 - 130

June 2011 - NOA1

Dec 2011 - RFE

Feb 2012 - NVC case #

Mar 2012 - DS-3032

Mar 2012 - AOS paid

May 2012 - IV paid

May 2012 - DS-230

May 2012 - checklist

anzcecu7pube.png

Timeline

Someone answer me this one..... WHo is to say you couldn't take a quick shopping trip to Hong Kong for 5 days before leaving for the U.S... No CFO sticker required!!!!! The PI immigration can't stop you from going to Hong Kong of Bangkok... Then leave on your U.S. Journey...

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Someone answer me this one..... WHo is to say you couldn't take a quick shopping trip to Hong Kong for 5 days before leaving for the U.S... No CFO sticker required!!!!! The PI immigration can't stop you from going to Hong Kong of Bangkok... Then leave on your U.S. Journey...

You're right, one won't need the CFO sticker to go to Hongkong. But won't PI immigration asks for R/T tickets?

They will see the US visa & will assume that the person is going to USA eventually after the supposedly shopping spree in HK.:unsure:

Edited by let-it-be

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Had this discussion a couple weeks back, only flaw in the plan is when you go to leave they check your passport and will see the visa, then you are screwed, round trip ticket or not bet they don't let you leave.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

You're right, one won't need the CFO sticker to go to Hongkong. But won't PI immigration asks for R/T tickets?

They will see the US visa & will assume that the person is going to USA eventually after the supposedly shopping spree in HK.:unsure:

A round-trip ticket to Hong Kong or Bangkok is pretty cheap and not a huge hit to just not use the return portion. Yes they will see the US Visa in the passport, but it would be an assumption on their part to think your not returning and they would have to deny your right to leave on an assumption. I understand, they do it all of the time!!!!

NO RFE'S

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

Timeline

Had this discussion a couple weeks back, only flaw in the plan is when you go to leave they check your passport and will see the visa, then you are screwed, round trip ticket or not bet they don't let you leave.

I had this same discussion a couple weeks ago too, must have been in the air. I was having beers with a friend who has lived in the PI for 25 years and we were discussing his daughter's departure to the STates in a week. Then the topic was brought up about CFO, he has some connections and he actually suggested it... Don't know what would happen, but interesting enough and definitely worth the try if the CFO pisses you off.. He said it would work. I think with enough persistance you could get to Hong Kong or Bangkok, just not sure what they would say when you returned with a US Green card and no CFO sticker.. And there is nothing saying that you can't do this so your not breaking any laws..

Of course its easy enough to just do the CFO and not a big deal... But for someone having issues, its just a thought???

NO RFE'S

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.