Stuart and Thea

"The" Walmart

32 posts in this topic

Okay, this seems rather weird, but it makes sense to me, being the Canadian, and my husband cracks up everytime I say it. He's tried badly to explain it to his friends, and ends up just making fun of me... well here goes, tell me if you do this too:

I say, "we can get it at the walmart on the way home"

It's the "the" that's the big deal to him.

We have two walmarts, I call one The walmart, and one The Supercenter. If we only had one, I think, but can't be sure, that I'd just say "we can get it at walmart" instead of "the" walmart.

We only have one Target, so I only say Target. Same with KMart. If the store had The in the title, I normally do say it, but have been known to just say Home Depot instead of The Home Depot, if there is only one in town.

On the flip side, because there are SO many McDonalds in town, I would probably just say McDonalds instead of The McDonalds. Unless I was meeting someone at a McDonalds close to where I was regularly, like if I was going for lunch, I'd probably say "I'll meet you over at the McDonalds" instead of just plain McDonalds.

I also find that I say things like "over 60 you need to go to the bingo" instead of just bingo, and I KNOW I'm not the only one who does that.

My American husband finds this highly amusing, so I've been listening to my friends and family closely to see if they also say the, when not really needed. A lot of them do! But here it's just weird.. I'm trying not to.

I explained it to him that the sentence kind of ends with the unspoken WHICH walmart I mean when I say the. He thinks I should only say the if there's one in town, but that's not how it works. It's that we need to go to the walmart (near his work) or the mcdonalds (across the street) for example. Rather than any of them being okay to choose.

(please tell me I'm not alone in being made fun of over this... is it a Canadian thing? I'm from Kitchener Waterloo...)

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

It's a Canadian thing. I have never heard anyone out "the" in front of Walmart, or any other store for that matter. But don;t worry, I won;t make fun of you, that's your husband's job rofl.gif

hell naw it isn't canadian.

i do it and i'm american. i always thought it was redneck slang, coming from small southern towns such as boyce, virginia - where we live now. we go to "the sheetz" for gas or stop at "the light" cause there's only one in our town or travel to "the foodlion" in the next town over..i still say "the walmart". there isn't one in our immediate area, but there are three in winchester - about 15 minutes away. and they are all "the walmart".

:)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know exactly what you're saying and it's funny because my hubby will always ask "which one" after I say something like, we go stop at "the Key Food" haha. He doesn't do it!

Funny.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

lol, my mom is British so I probably get it from her then!

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I only use "The" if the place isn't the actual name of the place. Walmart is Walmart. Our Bank is "the bank" or I'd use it's name. Honestly if someone said "I'm going to the walmart" I'd probably poke them about it for a very long time.

Even back home I've never heard "the walmart"

Ashley and Woody (Samuel)

Arrival: 04/18/2011

Married: 09/22/2011 in New Orleans

File date: 12/28/2011

Received: 12/30/2011

Biometrics: 02/27/2012

EAD received: 03/03/2012

SSN application: 03/23/2012

SSN received: 03/30/2012

Interview: 04/24/2012

GC approval: 04/26/2012

Welcome letter: 04/30/2012

GC arrival: 05/04/2012

ROC submitted: 04/07/2014

denied "not properly signed": 04/18/2014 :ranting:

new packet mailed: 04/19/2014

Receipt notice: 04/26/2014

Biometrics Appointment: 05/19/2014 - reschedule request sent

Biometrics Appiontment: 05/29/2014 - they're on their game

Green Card approved: 07/14/2014

Green Card arrived: 07/19/2014

Naturalization process to begin in 2015

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Problem is you's talking Canadian!

You's in America now, so you better start learning how to talk good Murkhan!!!!! LOL...

You can get right back at him by adding 'the' to all these places, a perfectly timed pause, followed by an adverb of place as in 'I went to the McDonalds... ...on Main'... Make sure you make eye contact and look smug... LOL

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm, I have never heard anyone in either the US or the Canada ever say that before with the 'the'. I do hear stuff like "can we get it at Walmart, the one near blah blah"? But maybe if it is a British thing that's why since I don't really know too many people here that are actually British or with direct British parents so maybe that's why.

Of course I got corrected saying "The Ukraine" the other day, apparently that's actually kind of insulting to Ukrainians and looked it up and sure enough there is no "the" like as in "The US" or "The Netherlands" or "The UK", it's just Ukraine. Then I felt stupid since I've always grown up saying "The Ukraine"...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline

Of course I got corrected saying "The Ukraine" the other day, apparently that's actually kind of insulting to Ukrainians and looked it up and sure enough there is no "the" like as in "The US" or "The Netherlands" or "The UK", it's just Ukraine. Then I felt stupid since I've always grown up saying "The Ukraine"...

It's a fairly "recent" change. I believe it refers to when it was a border country in the former Soviet Union so it made sense to have the "The" in front of it.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is wierd to me. My parents were both born in Scotland, I was raised in Canada, and Ive never heard that. I dont do it either. Ive been around all the situations that you guys are claiming and Ive never heard this.

Its not bad or good, it just is what it is. Sometimes our significant others like our little quirks, its what make us who we are.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

See I don't think Canadian realize that they do it. And I know I never did it all the time.

I would never say, "I'm going to the Wal-mart", but I would say, "Let's go the Wal-mart to get the patio furniture and the the Pizza Hut for dinner". I would only use it when I'm referring to a specific location that correlates with the next place.

It's kind of hard to explain, but I think it's used more in the context of, "Let's go to the Wal-mart [on Main St.] for the XXX" - we are leaving out the specific location details.

At least that's how I would use it. I don't think Thea means in a redneck kind of way.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

it's not the extra 'the' .... it's the missing 'the' that I've noticed .... as in....." I'm going to visit my sick dad in hospital"..... my brain says "in THE hospital"..... every time I hear or read that...laughing.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.