silly_chick

How did you meet?

68 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm just curious if I'm the only one here who didn't meet my husband through a marriage broker/mail order arrangement. I'm also curious if you and your Rissian fiancee had a language barrier.

P.S. Meeting on a normal website (like, James Dean fan club or something like that) doesn't count as a marriage broker.

08/24/2005 - Arrived in the U.S. as an F-1 student.

01/25/2006 - Married my LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***AOS***

08/29/2006 - Medical

09/13/2006 - Package sent to Chicago

09/15/2006 - Package received in Chicago

09/23/2006 - Checks cashed

09/25/2006 - NOA for I-130, AOS and EAD

09/26/2006 - All forms touched

10/05/2006 - I-130 and EAD touched

10/10/2006 - I-130 and EAD touched again

10/10/2006 - RFE for AOS (email). Grrr...

10/11/2006 - RFE received. It's for I-864...

.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi all,

I'm just curious if I'm the only one here who didn't meet my husband through a marriage broker/mail order arrangement. I'm also curious if you and your Rissian fiancee had a language barrier.

P.S. Meeting on a normal website (like, James Dean fan club or something like that) doesn't count as a marriage broker.

I can't recall anyone who met with a marriage broker/mail order arrangement who posts regularly here.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi all,

My ex-wife and I met in person in Chicago.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
What does it matter how two people meet as long as it's legitimate?

That is true. With the internet nowdays people all over the world meet online. I think most or a good percentage on VJ have met that way. It is romance in the 21st century. It works for some and for others it can be a disaster.

How did I meet my wife? It's a long story, but here is the short version.

My grandparents were Byelorussian immigrants. I visited Belarus and Russia numerous times to visit my mom's relatives. My wife was an English teacher in Belarus public school. My cousin's daughter was in my wife's English class. That is how we met. Many years later we are married in the USA.

My wife is a Belarus citizen because that is where she lived when the USSR dissolved. She is actually ethnic Russian and was originally born in Russian Siberia.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Timeline
Hi all,

"Mail order arrangement"?

Do you have ANY idea of the kind of postage you have to pay to have someone MAILED to you??

Costs a lot more than the Visa, frankly, and plus you have to get a very large box, make sure it has lots of holes in the side...

hen...

of course we had a language barrier, we didn't speak the same languages, but we learned to speak more and more of each other's language over time.

I spoke some Rissian... errrr.. Russian, but she learned more English... that's kind of how it works in America, you tend to learn more english...

-- Dan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I met my wife through random chatting on ICQ. I, like her, was also born in the former USSR. No language barrier and no intention to seek marriage via ICQ for both of us.

Edited by Satellite

We met while working in Korea.

We do have a language barrier, but it's easily scaled by utilizing words from English, Russian, Korean, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, etc., etc., etc..... but my personal favorite is just "the look." When you know what someone is thinking just by looking at them, and they nod in acknowledgement back, no language is necessary.

I do like a little eyelash-batting and those "special" noises that are great for "communicating!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
No, there is nothing special about you. For instance, I met my wife in Cairo, while on vacation in Egypt, on my way back from climbing Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. Since she probably speaks better English than you do, there was no language barrier.

Do you have any more snooty questions?

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
it did sound snooty but notice she was aiming the question AT women about meeting their HUSBANDS
Nevertheless - it is highly unlikely that a women could meet her husband without the husband also meeting her. The details of the meeting are the same, regardless of whether it is the husband or the wife anwering the question.

The poster is clearly trying to bait the people here - as if someone who arrives in the U.S. as a "student" and then gets married 5 months later has somehow got a magic lock on what constitutes a "real" relationship.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
No, there is nothing special about you. For instance, I met my wife in Cairo, while on vacation in Egypt, on my way back from climbing Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. Since she probably speaks better English than you do, there was no language barrier.

Do you have any more snooty questions?

Cheers!

AKDiver

Seems to me that people get offended only because they want to, even if no offence was meant. I didn't get personal like you, and I didn't insult anybody. I can't believe you had the guts to imply something about my English when you don't even know me. That's just so nasty.

01/25/2006 - Married my LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***AOS***

08/29/2006 - Medical

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Sillychick. First I think the "mail order" comment was wrong. You dont find it offensive when someone calls your SO a "mail order". We are all here for the same reasons. To use each other for references to past experience with the visa process. It doesn't really matter where people meet. Although many people have met in a different way other than the internet please dont assume that everyone is a "mail order". I can understand their frustration but also I can understand your innocence to the forum. Just watch the words and it's all good. Good luck on your journey.

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

Timeline
Sillychick. First I think the "mail order" comment was wrong. You dont find it offensive when someone calls your SO a "mail order". We are all here for the same reasons. To use each other for references to past experience with the visa process. It doesn't really matter where people meet. Although many people have met in a different way other than the internet please dont assume that everyone is a "mail order". I can understand their frustration but also I can understand your innocence to the forum. Just watch the words and it's all good. Good luck on your journey.

Thanks for your kind words. Really. It sure helps after all the insults I got here...

I don't have issues with how people meet - why would I care how people live their lives, it's none of my business. I don't assume nothing, but I have seen some horrific posts here, where men were talking about how they would go to Russia to meet like 3 women who they write to, and then decide which one is better. It makes me feel really bad, you know.

Actually, I met my husband online too, and it turned out to be a great relationship. And more to that - whenever he mentions that his wife is Russian, he always gets that: "Oh, congratulations! You got yourself one of those mail-order brides!" It really hurts to hear things like that, and I do have issues with marriage brokers - I saw a few sites on international dating, and I just got the impression that they treat women like a commodity. Sorta, "Look how many beautiful Russian girls we have here, they will all love you for who you are, come and pick one!" I happen to think that marriage brokers exploit people, and I wanted to voice my opinion on that. And I got all those insults in response... I come to this forum to share information and to seek help in all these immigration issues. But when I decided to speak my mind on something that really botheres me, I get insulted like that... I don't even want to post here any more, cause it really hurts bad when people call you stupid because you said something they didn't like.

I'm just very hurt :( How can you people be so cruel? AKDiver, I don't even know who you are, and I sure never insulted you personally. Yet you even called me a troll in another thread... Do you think it makes me feel good?

I really don't see a point in posting here if all I get from it is name calling :(

***AOS***

08/29/2006 - Medical

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.