lizibeth

J1 with 2 year home country visit requirement

23 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So, i've been here for 4 months with my J1 visa not expiring till Jan 2013 but engaged to my boyfriend (US citizen) to be married in October. Visa says '2 year rule does apply'. Does this mean after we get married i'll have to be separated from him for 2 years? :(

Edited by lizibeth

So, i've been here for 4 months with my J1 visa not expiring till Jan 2013 but engaged to my boyfriend (US citizen) to be married in October. Visa says '2 year rule does apply'. Does this mean after we get married i'll have to be separated from him for 2 years? :(

For most J1s, you would need the entity in your country who sponsored the visa to release you from the 2 year commitment, otherwise yes, you have a commitment to return to your country and be outside the US for 2 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not a k-1 process or procedure. Moving to work visas section.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1339434451[/url]' post='5437777']

As far as the US is concerned, once you're married, all bets are off and you need not observe the two-year rule. You may have to check with your home country though, to make sure that they hold no objections either.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

For most J1s, you would need the entity in your country who sponsored the visa to release you from the 2 year commitment, otherwise yes, you have a commitment to return to your country and be outside the US for 2 years.

I see, so there is a way to be released though?

Timeline

As far as the US is concerned, once you're married, all bets are off and you need not observe the two-year rule. You may have to check with your home country though, to make sure that they hold no objections either.

I am currently in DC, there is an embassy here so im guessing i'll have to check with them... I really do hope its not a mandatory case where i'll have to be away from my husband for 2 years, that would suck big time! Also, after my visa expires next year will i be able to work?

Timeline

WOW! Please watch your advice. This is completely incorrect

Marriage has NOTHING to do with ending this 2 year home residence rule!!!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline
1339435583[/url]' post='5437815']

I see, so there is a way to be released though?

Chances are that if your home country is sponsoring you in any way shape or form, the terms of your return should be outlined in the contract you signed in order to get the funds to come to the US and study.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

There is a J1 waiver for the 2 year home residency requirement. You can start that process now. The best way to find that info is through your consulate. I am sure they will help you. It takes time and a lot of paper work to get this done but you can do this on your own. When your get your waiver, you don't need to worry about returning to your home country.

If you don't have a waiver, your visa application will be denied if he is going to petition for you.J1 waiver is one of the requirements when you file the petition. Goodluck.

Edited by immig?

02/20/12 MARRIED
03/20/12 Sent application (I130,I485,I765)
03/27/12 Checks cashed
04/02/12 Bio appt rcvd
04/26/12 Bio done (in/out in less than 10mins)
05/09/12 Emai rcvd-Interview sched 6/13
05/11/12 Appt letter rcvd
05/16/12 Email rcvd-EAD in prod
05/21/12 Another email EAD in prod
05/22/12 2 emails - EAD mailed and USPS picked up EAD
05/24/12 RCVD EAD
06/13/12 AOS INTERVIEW -APPROVED :)(DAY 88)
06/13/12 EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS FOR I-130 AND I-485 RECEIVED
06/15/12 EMAIL "CARD PRODUCTION" RECEIVED :))
06/18/12 RCVD HARD COPY OF I-130 & I-485 APPROVAL
06/18/12 EMAIL NOTIFICATION CARD MAILED AND CARD PICKED UP BY USPS YEHEY!
06/20/12 GC ON HAND! PRAISE GOD!
TOOK 96 DAYS FROM SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION TO GC ON HAND. PRETTY SMOOTH AND QUICK PROCESS. I PRAY THIS HAPPENS TO EVERYONE AS WELL. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS! KEEP THE FAITH!

03/24/14 Mailed ROC packet

03/31/14 NOA1

05/06/14 BIO

10/14/14 APPROVAL NOTICE

10/22/14 MAILED CARD EMAIL

10/24/14 GC RECEIVED. PRAISE GOD!!!! THANK YOU!

Timeline
1339435910[/url]' post='5437833']

WOW! Please watch your advice. This is completely incorrect

Marriage has NOTHING to do with ending this 2 year home residence rule!!!

Marriage constitutes enough to provide for a hardship, which in conjunction with a 'No Objection Statement' from the home country are the basis for a waiver to the two-year rule.

The US will not deny a waiver to a spouse of a US citizen if the home country issues a NOS.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Marriage constitutes enough to provide for a hardship, which in conjunction with a 'No Objection Statement' from the home country are the basis for a waiver to the two-year rule.

The US will not deny a waiver to a spouse of a US citizen if the home country issues a NOS.

The US has denied wavers before even for people married to US citizens. There is no 100% promise that they will be approved for a waver. Also your comment above should contain the information for the fact that the OP must file a waiver to remove the 2 year requirement. You cannot just say that getting married removes the rules because people will go ahead and file AOS and be denied because of a 2 year residency requirement. Full information on the issue is better than part information which sounds incorrect when you say it.

Timeline
1339436683[/url]' post='5437858']

The US has denied wavers before even for people married to US citizens. There is no 100% promise that they will be approved for a waver. Also your comment above should contain the information for the fact that the OP must file a waiver to remove the 2 year requirement. You cannot just say that getting married removes the rules because people will go ahead and file AOS and be denied because of a 2 year residency requirement. Full information on the issue is better than part information which sounds incorrect when you say it.

I now understand what you're saying. I was under the impression the OP already had the details.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

There is a J1 waiver for the 2 year home residency requirement. You can start that process now. The best way to find that info is through your consulate. I am sure they will help you. It takes time and a lot of paper work to get this done but you can do this on your own. When your get your waiver, you don't need to worry about returning to your home country.

If you don't have a waiver, your visa application will be denied if he is going to petition for you.J1 waiver is one of the requirements when you file the petition. Goodluck.

So i can begin this process before marriage? Is that what you're saying? Thanks for your input.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.