40 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

:star: Hi I am new here and I wanted to ask if there are anyoune who are going through filing for vawa? I am and it is hard to be

patient. I recieved prima facie, I now know that this means absolutely nothing. I also went to my Biometrics appointment.

I am not sure what to expect now. How long before I hear something about anything. I have US citizen kids so I am very concerned

about everything. For me it has been extremely hard for a very long time. I hope things can get better, also for anyone else who has

a hard time, I pray for you. (L)

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

There are several women here that applied for vawa. YOU have a prima facie determination go to the social service in your area and get nasty with them. PRIMA FACIE is to get public benefit .Some agencies are not following the Iaw then find some organization who helps victim of domestic violence to help you with that or move to another State where you can get benefits without problem such as California,Seatle.

Timeline

Carlsbad is very weird the social service didn't approved any benefits. I filesd Vawa for more than 10 girls in California and all of them got cash assistance,food stamp and medicaid.One of the girls received for 14months and she didnt have any kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Carlsbad,

I am going through the same thing. Prima facie but no cash assistance. Did you go yourself to the social services and applied for cash assistance and food stamps? What county are you in?

• 1 month later...

Hi sandranj,l applied for vawa too and i,ve been waiting since oct 2011.l renewed my pf in may which will expire in october.am just suprised that they just sent me another pf which will epire in jan 2013.l did not apply for this one.do you know what that means?

In OP's case: was she the Payee for children's benefits before taking her pf there?

For everyone who was refused any particular benefit they need and qualify for - never be afraid to file for Fair Hearing. You may think it's futile - and be 200% wrong. How so? Not enough that Social Services manage to lose the hearing, they also are very slow to comply with your winning decision. And then they sometimes end up paying twice. So go file, and after they'll mail you the hearing date - file for Rivera evidence (at least that's the name for it in NY). Best is if your receipt for this evidence packet is dated 8 days before the scheduled hearing: Social Services have 7 days to deliver requested evidence into your hands. Non-performance will give you enough reason to shut your adversary up at the hearing

Edited by SingleDad2usc

Also, if you're concerned that your Fair Hearing award will end up too small to really help you: make sure to apply for benefits way before you ever get pf(and keep evidence of the date you'd applied). That way: there will already be case history, and history of them refusing YOUR benefits - despite being DV victim. So at the hearing: 1) they'll be found not in complience of providing you evidence packet; 2) found incorrect in refusing you benefits going way back.

I should say that when I read something like the above: "they gave me nothing", "they refused", "they told me I wasn't eligible" - please, know your rights and don't let anyone intimidate you. Especially when you're doing this for your children. This is not luxury, do not betray your children by not focusing

Edited by SingleDad2usc

The benefits are not YOUR benefits per se if you are applying for them on behalf of your children, they are for children and should be used soley for the use of your children.

As this poster has said though never be afraid of fighting for your rights, there are ways of handling any agency and thats usually with being firm but friendly and going in to their offices with a right attitude and with the right information from the start. Go online and look up what is required for the said benefits and go in to the office armed with the necessary info, be polite but firm and always use a smile, smiling with get you far more than rudeness, attitude will never work and never get you the HELP you need.

I wish you ALL the very best with your VAWA cases, I can't imagine the pain and hurt you have and are going through, stay strong and know there are people on here on your side.

Also, if you're concerned that your Fair Hearing award will end up too small to really help you: make sure to apply for benefits way before you ever get pf(and keep evidence of the date you'd applied). That way: there will already be case history, and history of them refusing YOUR benefits - despite being DV victim. So at the hearing: 1) they'll be found not in complience of providing you evidence packet; 2) found incorrect in refusing you benefits going way back.

I should say that when I read something like the above: "they gave me nothing", "they refused", "they told me I wasn't eligible" - please, know your rights and don't let anyone intimidate you. Especially when you're doing this for your children. This is not luxury, do not betray your children by not focusing

Timeline

Persons who have been battered get the prima facie in order to receive public benefits, if they have children or not. Some States the individuals don't have a problem to get cash assistance, medicaid and food stamp, but other States sometimes they give a hard time because they don't know very well about Vawa.

Edited by sandranj

Yes, alas, I'll have to run this again: as Bethandbilly's "correction/affirmation" killed the gist. So, from the series "Only tell me what I didn't know":

an example of a single parent with citizen children, applying for immigration - this was OP not so long ago

Way before any immigration move, you go to HRA - and they basically try to send you home with nothing. If you leave their reception without ever sitting down with a caseworker who enters all your family info into the system (and gives you print-out) - you shoot yourself in the foot big time. Again, here is why:

months and months later, when you win your fair hearing and HRA will finally comply with your victorios decision (that HRA must "review" your case) - guess what: they'll end up paying retroactively to the date they first put your case into the system! (even if you were not eligible back then, only children were, and you were never counted in the original budget) And if they don't comply - you go back to State Office and file complaint of HRA non-compliance. The end result will vary, depending on their efficiency/defficiency; but the end result will never be under-payment. You have to understand this: the HRA employees you first see - are scored on their ability to send you away with nothing. The HRA employees in complience department - are scored on complience, i.e. on you ceasing official complaints

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Singedad2USC- do you have any facts, websites or news articles to back up what you posted?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.