gretchen_darren

American vs Filipino

222 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How about grill dogs guts? :lol:

Yeah is seems eating dog is a tradition in some areas. My wife never likes the assumption that Filipinos eat dogs. To her dogs are pets. But I do know in other places, make your pet look too good and fattened up, you better keep it locked up tight or its going to end up on someone's dinner table.

It happened here. Two guys were convicted of stealing and eating their co-workers dog. I think the charges was theft and animal cruelty, since I think you can eat your own animals that you raise. These guys stole the co-workers dog, when he brought it to work. So the moral of the story is do not bring you fat black dog to work. Get direct tv.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It happened here. Two guys were convicted of stealing and eating their co-workers dog. I think the charges was theft and animal cruelty, since I think you can eat your own animals that you raise. These guys stole the co-workers dog, when he brought it to work. So the moral of the story is do not bring you fat black dog to work. Get direct tv.

:lol:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Dog burgers for lunch.

Timeline

Dog burgers for lunch.

Or if dog nuggets :devil:

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

January 15, 2012 met on line

April 18, 2012 met in person in Cebu

April 20, 2012 proposed

May 28, 2012 filed K1

June 6, 2012 received email K1 accepted.

August 28, 2012 NOA2 approved!!!!!!!

September 21, 2012 went back for vist number 2

Had a wonderful time!

Interview set for November 6

Flying out November 3 to be together

Arrived November 4

November 6, 2013 interview and approved

November 14, 2013 picked up visa!

November 29, 2013 arrived in Anchorage

November 30, 2013 applied for marriage license

December 15, 2013 civil wedding

February 16, 2013 AOS filed

February 23, 2013 NOA 1 reviewed

April 4, 2013 Biometric appointment

May 9, 2013 AOS intervie

May 9, 2013 Approved ap, ead and green card

May 18, 2013 received Green Card, EAD and AP in mail

Well living in a part of the country that is considered exremely poor even to the Filipinos iyam(dog) is not only eaten, its a celebratory food. They cook it for birthdays, fiesta, etc... Most people here cant afford to buy a lechon. They actually get a dog and feed it and raise it just to eat it for a special occasion. I'll have you know that dog is absolutely delicious. Dont knock it til you try it! Seriously, tastes like beef.

Yeah I have seen dog served at a wedding, I have probably eat dog just did not know it. Don't think being poor or can't afford other meats has a lot to do with it, just a tradition thing i think. If I had to, guess I rather eat dog compared to grilled chicken guts!, he he.

EATING DOGS is a FILIPINO tradition 'thing'?? Where the heck did you learn that???fc]

Edited by DouglasFiel

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

stir fried dog is nice - had it in China many times, knowing what it was..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

oh few things are difference... im a newly wed from a guy in IL, its funny coz the first time he met my parents and visit the house, he dont use spoon.. and only fork in eating rice... can u imagine rice use by a fork... and he dont even know how to eat with a spoon.. it cute and we find it funny since we're not use to it.. we do know how to use chopsticks in the family but not eating with a fork alone :)

I can eat everything with a spoon - is actually easier to cut and tear . But it needs to be a big spoon..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

EATING DOGS is a FILIPINO tradition 'thing'?? Where the heck did you learn that???fc]

Guess the first time I was told this was sitting in a restaurant in Baguio City about 1975, looking at the menu I asked the waiter what is Asocena? He said, "That is Aso, dog, it is a traditional dish here it will warm you up". I said no thanks, it's warm outside today! He he.

:thumbs: Its funny because being from your average American family, eating dog is about one of the most taboo things you can do. I got so much flack from my parents when i told them.. and my friends too. Like "Ewww, gross. How could you do that!" I said, "Just insert in mouth, chew, and swallow!" :lol: Never imagined it would taste so good though :whistle: I would eat it again anytime. :devil:

March 11, 2011 - Met my wife our local tsunami evacuation center due to the tsunami in Japan.

March 12, 2011 - Begin texting back and forth daily.

April 28, 2011 - :D first night with my wife to be. Officially in a relationship.

June 23, 2011 - Formally propose.

July 23, 2011 - Married in Borongan City.

August 28, 2011 - My daughter is conceived (due on June 1, 2012) :D

December 19, 2011 - NOA1

January 5, 2012 - NOA2

March 8, 2012 - Case completed at NVC

March 20, 2012 - First day of med. exam.

March 21, 2012 - SPUTUM

March 29, 2012 - 3 day sputum test NEGATIVE (culture done on May 28th)

May 25, 2012 - Alaysha Elaiah Mae Arma Nichols (MOUTHFULL) is born. 6 lbs. 18.5" and absolutely gorgeous!

June 19, 2012 - Medical Exam Passed!!

June 22, 2012 - CRBA appt. for my baby girl. APPROVED!!! :D

June 26, 2012 - CR1 Visa Interview for my wife. APPROVED!!! :D

July 6, 2012 - Passport and CRBA in hand!

July 12, 2012 - Visa in hand!

July 19, 2012 - POE LAX!!

August 1, 2012 - Green Card Received!

event.png

age.png

Timeline

I have never eaten dog meat but if I was starving I may try it. I had a Chinese friend who asked me how clean are pigs? Of course pigs eat just about anything including carcasses... very dirty. Then he said dogs are cleaner then pigs. He had a point. Still not my cup of tea.

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

I have never eaten dog meat but if I was starving I may try it. I had a Chinese friend who asked me how clean are pigs? Of course pigs eat just about anything including carcasses... very dirty. Then he said dogs are cleaner then pigs. He had a point. Still not my cup of tea.

Yeah, pigs are about the filthiest creatures on the planet.. I actually worked on a pig farm and it was one of the most disgusting experiences of my life. But i will still handle some bacon! One of my favorites! hahaha.

Edited by Brandon+Roslyn

March 11, 2011 - Met my wife our local tsunami evacuation center due to the tsunami in Japan.

March 12, 2011 - Begin texting back and forth daily.

April 28, 2011 - :D first night with my wife to be. Officially in a relationship.

June 23, 2011 - Formally propose.

July 23, 2011 - Married in Borongan City.

August 28, 2011 - My daughter is conceived (due on June 1, 2012) :D

December 19, 2011 - NOA1

January 5, 2012 - NOA2

March 8, 2012 - Case completed at NVC

March 20, 2012 - First day of med. exam.

March 21, 2012 - SPUTUM

March 29, 2012 - 3 day sputum test NEGATIVE (culture done on May 28th)

May 25, 2012 - Alaysha Elaiah Mae Arma Nichols (MOUTHFULL) is born. 6 lbs. 18.5" and absolutely gorgeous!

June 19, 2012 - Medical Exam Passed!!

June 22, 2012 - CRBA appt. for my baby girl. APPROVED!!! :D

June 26, 2012 - CR1 Visa Interview for my wife. APPROVED!!! :D

July 6, 2012 - Passport and CRBA in hand!

July 12, 2012 - Visa in hand!

July 19, 2012 - POE LAX!!

August 1, 2012 - Green Card Received!

event.png

age.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

something I have noticed is breastfeeding.... almost seems normal and natural in my wife's village. Something moms are expected to do. In the US, it is completely going against the grain. Any mom breastfeeding in the US can expect either praise or ridicule. And usually if you are out, are expected to "cover" yourself in the US for exposing yourself during feeding. Explaining this to my wife is not easy. Village culture she grew up in is very different.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

something I have noticed is breastfeeding.... almost seems normal and natural in my wife's village. Something moms are expected to do. In the US, it is completely going against the grain. Any mom breastfeeding in the US can expect either praise or ridicule. And usually if you are out, are expected to "cover" yourself in the US for exposing yourself during feeding. Explaining this to my wife is not easy. Village culture she grew up in is very different.

it's a very simple concept. why is it so difficult for you to explain it to your wife?

Timeline

[quote name='gretchen_darren' timestamp='1341903197' Something moms are expected to do.

It cost money for formula, expected by who?

In the US, it is completely going against the grain.

Where do you get your opinions and where are you living??

Any mom breastfeeding in the US can expect either praise or ridicule.

I did'nt know you were so informed and such an expert in breastfeeding.

And usually if you are out, are expected to "cover" yourself in the US for exposing yourself during feeding.

remember how many cultures live in America. I have seen women breastfeeding in public and they do get looks.

Explaining this to my wife is not easy. Village culture she grew up in is very different.

It's hard to talk with your wife because her village culture is different? How did you get this far?

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.