gretchen_darren

American vs Filipino

222 posts in this topic

And, a few Filipinos DO eat dogs.

I understand that some eat dogs, but the problem is the stereotype that all Asians/Filipinos eat dogs.

Of course, we have some Zombies cases here, eating who knows what...

Okay, this is getting out of hand. First people stereotype Asians. Now you're stereotyping Zombies. I've had enough!! :ranting::lol:

Filed: Timeline

I understand that some eat dogs, but the problem is the stereotype that all Asians/Filipinos eat dogs.

The ones that drink Red Horse, or San Miguel into the wee hours of the morning probably do. Another name for dog barking in the middle of the night is "pulutan".

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

a Difference i noticed...

In America, A dad jingles the car keys saying "who wants to go for ice cream?" then loads up the gang, and drives for some 15 to 30 minutes to the local drive-in for ice cream cones....

In Philippines, a dad asks who wants ice cream (or frozen milk), then sends one of the kids to go get for everyone from the local sari-sari (on credit)....and pays for it later on....

Yes, that is TRUE! But not all "dad" or parents does this...only those who have low income and living on very tight budget. I live here in Manila for 3 years now, while studying, and when I go to a Sari-Sari store so I can load allowance in my cellphone...I see young kids, old kids even Adults who will likely tell the cashier to put it on their tab or "listahan". So this is called "utang" - borrow until next paycheck or when they reach certain limit of UTANG borrowed at the store.

Just to be clear - owners at the store does not do this for everyone., only those they know familiar faces or neighbor who is close friends with them or something. I mean, common sense, I would not just give anyone a credit...and who know when they will be back until u know where they live, then u can go after them. haha.

Just my share of experience. The reason why I know my relatives tell me, yes I have one of those too. And I'm not ashame..life is tough but Filipinos knows how to hustle. kicking.gif

BUt the best from Filipinos are using "po' and "opo" which is no word equivalent in English. Filipinos are very respectful to elder(s). We do "mano po". We call our elder sister "ate" and "kuya" for brother.

June 2011 - 130

June 2011 - NOA1

Dec 2011 - RFE

Jan 2012 - NOA2 (approved)

Feb 2012 - NVC case #

Mar 2012 - DS-3032

Mar 2012 - AOS paid

May 2012 - IV paid

May 2012 - DS-230

May 2012 - checklist

June 2012 - Case Complete

July 2012 - Interview Scheduled

anzcecu7pube.png

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

oh few things are difference... im a newly wed from a guy in IL, its funny coz the first time he met my parents and visit the house, he dont use spoon.. and only fork in eating rice... can u imagine rice use by a fork... and he dont even know how to eat with a spoon.. it cute and we find it funny since we're not use to it.. we do know how to use chopsticks in the family but not eating with a fork alone :)

585nbjc5r.png

BUt the best from Filipinos are using "po' and "opo" which is no word equivalent in English. Filipinos are very respectful to elder(s). We do "mano po". We call our elder sister "ate" and "kuya" for brother.

It's only a Tagalog feature. There is no equivalent word in Visayan or Ilocano, though there are ways to address someone politely at the same level as Tagalog.

One must bear in mind that the culture of the Philippines is not monolithic. The Tagalogs alone are diverse. Batanguenos are not like Manilenos or Cavitenos....

Well living in a part of the country that is considered exremely poor even to the Filipinos iyam(dog) is not only eaten, its a celebratory food. They cook it for birthdays, fiesta, etc... Most people here cant afford to buy a lechon. They actually get a dog and feed it and raise it just to eat it for a special occasion. I'll have you know that dog is absolutely delicious. Dont knock it til you try it! Seriously, tastes like beef.

March 11, 2011 - Met my wife our local tsunami evacuation center due to the tsunami in Japan.

March 12, 2011 - Begin texting back and forth daily.

April 28, 2011 - :D first night with my wife to be. Officially in a relationship.

June 23, 2011 - Formally propose.

July 23, 2011 - Married in Borongan City.

August 28, 2011 - My daughter is conceived (due on June 1, 2012) :D

December 19, 2011 - NOA1

January 5, 2012 - NOA2

March 8, 2012 - Case completed at NVC

March 20, 2012 - First day of med. exam.

March 21, 2012 - SPUTUM

March 29, 2012 - 3 day sputum test NEGATIVE (culture done on May 28th)

May 25, 2012 - Alaysha Elaiah Mae Arma Nichols (MOUTHFULL) is born. 6 lbs. 18.5" and absolutely gorgeous!

June 19, 2012 - Medical Exam Passed!!

June 22, 2012 - CRBA appt. for my baby girl. APPROVED!!! :D

June 26, 2012 - CR1 Visa Interview for my wife. APPROVED!!! :D

July 6, 2012 - Passport and CRBA in hand!

July 12, 2012 - Visa in hand!

July 19, 2012 - POE LAX!!

August 1, 2012 - Green Card Received!

event.png

age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

oh few things are difference... im a newly wed from a guy in IL, its funny coz the first time he met my parents and visit the house, he dont use spoon.. and only fork in eating rice... can u imagine rice use by a fork... and he dont even know how to eat with a spoon.. it cute and we find it funny since we're not use to it.. we do know how to use chopsticks in the family but not eating with a fork alone :)

very true even i eat everything with a fork it seems just natural. Infact if you eat rice wid spoon it seems odd :wacko:

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

very true even i eat everything with a fork it seems just natural. Infact if you eat rice wid spoon it seems odd :wacko:

Seemed odd eating rice with a spoon to me at first. Now its just seems normal. And if we're eating messy finger food, then eating rice with your fingers does a good job keeping them clean.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Seemed odd eating rice with a spoon to me at first. Now its just seems normal. And if we're eating messy finger food, then eating rice with your fingers does a good job keeping them clean.

Are you using banana leaves instead of paper plates? If it doesn't freeze where you live, you can grow a banana tree for a ready supply.

Are you using banana leaves instead of paper plates? If it doesn't freeze where you live, you can grow a banana tree for a ready supply.

Can't grow banana trees here, it gets much too cold. I have seen we can buy banana leaves frozen in the local Filipino store. I think my wife likes the convenience of paper plates here over banana leaves though, when we have need for them.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Well living in a part of the country that is considered exremely poor even to the Filipinos iyam(dog) is not only eaten, its a celebratory food. They cook it for birthdays, fiesta, etc... Most people here cant afford to buy a lechon. They actually get a dog and feed it and raise it just to eat it for a special occasion. I'll have you know that dog is absolutely delicious. Dont knock it til you try it! Seriously, tastes like beef.

Yeah I have seen dog served at a wedding, I have probably eat dog just did not know it. Don't think being poor or can't afford other meats has a lot to do with it, just a tradition thing i think. If I had to, guess I rather eat dog compared to grilled chicken guts!, he he.

Yeah I have seen dog served at a wedding, I have probably eat dog just did not know it. Don't think being poor or can't afford other meats has a lot to do with it, just a tradition thing i think. If I had to, guess I rather eat dog compared to grilled chicken guts!, he he.

How about grill dogs guts? :lol:

Yeah is seems eating dog is a tradition in some areas. My wife never likes the assumption that Filipinos eat dogs. To her dogs are pets. But I do know in other places, make your pet look too good and fattened up, you better keep it locked up tight or its going to end up on someone's dinner table.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.