SteelFaithU2

Trying to avoid an RFE

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone, I needed to know if I can send in more evidence for petition to avoid getting an RFE since I'm just waiting to hear back from immigration. When I originally sent my petition, I wasn't aware of this forum, and the instructions from the USCIS website were vague on details of what they consider primary and secondary evidence. I thought a lot of the evidence I had would only be needed on the interview date, but now I see that I should have sent in more info with my I-29F.

What I did send was 6 photos showing us together(face and body pics), proposal pics, and us together with her family and friends; our hotel booking (but it only has my name on it); a photo of my stamps from PHI immigration (not a scan); my boarding passes and tickets; Western Union money transfer receipts (with both of our names on it); and all the other info they blatantly requested - except I didn't copy each page of my passport :(

Kathy has the other primary evidence with her though; such as the Engagement Ring Receipt with both of our names; our apartment we leased together for the month (with both of our names). As far as I'm aware, our daily communication and correspondence is not needed to the interview though, correct?

So what should I do about this? Is there anything else missing I should provide as well? Any help is greatly appreciated - cheers!

Edit: Oh, and if I'm going to have a family member co-sponsor my fiance, when and how should I go about doing so?

Edited by SteelFaithU2

Wait for an RFE. That's really all you can do at this point.

It's not advised to send additional information in before they request it. If you do, there's a high chance that what you send in never gets matched up to your original petition. So wait, see if you get one, and then send in everything they request.

Though, you sent in pictures and boarding passes/tickets. That sounds like enough to me. USCIS just wants proof that you've met in person in the last two years. They don't need daily communication proof, that's for the interview when you need to prove an ongoing relationship. From what you've listed, it sounds like you've sent enough to meet the requirements of USCIS.

As for the cosponsor, that's something that is done for the interview. You and the co-sponsor will both fill out the I-134 Affidavit of Support. You'll both have to include supporting evidence such as pay stubs, tax returns, letters from employers, etc.

Edited by Evylin

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Not at the moment, because they won't probably be able to match your new information to the rest of your application. You can only prepare for an RFE, if it comes.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Timeline

Ok, thank you. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what happens then - too bad you can't just avoid the RFE and send in the info before they even review the case.

As for my other question though, how can I know if I can have a co-sponsor for my fiance, and when do I have the co-sponsor register? I hear though, that there are no co-sponsors allowed for the Philippines, how can I find out if this is true?

From what I've read here on VJ, they allow co-sponsors but they do not always get approved. Like I said in my previous post, you both fill out an I-134 and provide supporting evidence. There is no 'registering'.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

What I did send was 6 photos showing us together(face and body pics), proposal pics, and us together with her family and friends; our hotel booking (but it only has my name on it); a photo of my stamps from PHI immigration (not a scan); my boarding passes and tickets; Western Union money transfer receipts (with both of our names on it); and all the other info they blatantly requested - except I didn't copy each page of my passport :(

this shall be sufficient proofs of having met in person - :thumbs: we have sent even less proofs. I do not think that you will get RFE

21/03/2012 - sent 129F to Dallas Lockbox
25/03/2012 - I129F recieved
26/03/2012 - NOA1
24/09/2012 - NOA2 text message
02/10/2012 - NVC left case sent to Bulgaria ;o)
15/10/2012 - Packet 3 recieved
27/10/2012 - Medical exam
29/10/2012 - Interview - APPROVED
25/11/2012 - POE Miami
01/02/2013 - married

AOS
02/01/2013 - AOS sent
02/12/2013 - NOA1 text and email
02/16/2013 - recieved biometrics appointment letter
02/26/2013 - biometrics appointment

08/29/2013 - received notice of potential interview waiver case

10/23/2013 - Interview approved ;o)

11/01/2013 - green card received

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It would appear some mistakes were made and a RFE very posible. Passport/Birth Certs. But that can all be overcome in time if a RFE occurs. The RFE is a short delay and gives you time to render the mistakes. So don't worry so much. It would appear a imcomplete Petition but there is nothing you can do now but wait. It will be fine. what a few weeks anyway. Or Months and thats normal too. As far as a Co-Sponsor. Not a chance but I have seen a K-1 go though with a Co-Sponsor before. Its up to the Counsulate

Edited by Tim/Mav

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Timeline

From what I've read here on VJ, they allow co-sponsors but they do not always get approved. Like I said in my previous post, you both fill out an I-134 and provide supporting evidence. There is no 'registering'.

Ok, and does my bank account balance have any impact on this or not? Let's say, If I have over 10k USD in my account, would this be of much evidence of support? I have had steady work as a CNA now for over the past 13 months, but I recently was laid off due to my client being moved to a nursing home. So I'm trying to get another job right now, but I might have to collect unemployment for now until I get another job. Can I still show my income from my recent job, and if I get another job soon, or start collecting unemployment temporarily, can I show that income as well?

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

It would appear some mistakes were made and a RFE very posible. Passport/Birth Certs.

I did send in a copy of my Birth Certificate, but I did read on Visajourney that they need a "long-form" birth certificate? All I had was a laminated birth certificate card, and I've never seen or heard of anything else. As for my passport, I copied the primary two pages when you open it, and a photo of my stamps from arriving and departing the Philippines. I just wish I can fix this simple mistake now and just scan all the pages though....

Edited by SteelFaithU2

It would appear some mistakes were made and a RFE very posible. Passport/Birth Certs. But that can all be overcome in time if a RFE occurs. The RFE is a short delay and gives you time to render the mistakes. So don't worry so much. It would appear a imcomplete Petition but there is nothing you can do now but wait. It will be fine. what a few weeks anyway. Or Months and thats normal too. As far as a Co-Sponsor. Not a chance but I have seen a K-1 go though with a Co-Sponsor before. Its up to the Counsulate

Why do you think an RFE is very possible? They've included pictures and boarding passes as well as tickets as proof.

The OP did not mention anything about whether or not they included their birth certificate, only that they didn't include every page of their passport. If this is for the "meet in person" requirement, it doesn't matter, since they have other primary evidence.

As long as the OP provided proof of US citizenship, I don't see an RFE happening for them.

Timeline

Ok, and does my bank account balance have any impact on this or not? Let's say, If I have over 10k USD in my account, would this be of much evidence of support? I have had steady work as a CNA now for over the past 13 months, but I recently was laid off due to my client being moved to a nursing home. So I'm trying to get another job right now, but I might have to collect unemployment for now until I get another job. Can I still show my income from my recent job, and if I get another job soon, or start collecting unemployment temporarily, can I show that income as well?

Yes. Your interview is way down the road and give plenty of time to gain new employment. But, don't get carried away with unemployment. It is countable but now a means of support. Unemployment is temporay support so don't trust that. The income is countable and taxable as well. Be steadily employed for a peroid of good time before the interview.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Timeline

Why do you think an RFE is very possible? They've included pictures and boarding passes as well as tickets as proof.

The OP did not mention anything about whether or not they included their birth certificate, only that they didn't include every page of their passport. If this is for the "meet in person" requirement, it doesn't matter, since they have other primary evidence.

As long as the OP provided proof of US citizenship, I don't see an RFE happening for them.

A Birth Cert and Passport is standard proceedure in a properly executed 129-F. Some may dis-agree but that is Normal.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

A Birth Cert and Passport is standard proceedure in a properly executed 129-F. Some may dis-agree but that is Normal.

It's one or the other for proof of US citizenship, not both.

Edited by Evylin

Timeline

I don't argue with solid brick walls or Oak Logs. Just answer the OP's questions is all that is asked. We each have our Opinions. The OP has to decifer which is best for their situation. Surely a Birth Cert exists and a Passport. Completing the paperwork is of most importance. The OP also has doubts about income requirements as well. We should answer as best as we can and refrain from personal comments...

Edited by Tim/Mav

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Timeline

Yes. Your interview is way down the road and give plenty of time to gain new employment. But, don't get carried away with unemployment. It is countable but now a means of support. Unemployment is temporay support so don't trust that. The income is countable and taxable as well. Be steadily employed for a peroid of good time before the interview.

By the time I received the NOA2, I was hoping to go back to the Philippines to be with my fiance again and help her with the process and alleviate the stress and suffering for both of us. I would have plenty of money in my savings to be able to do that, but I don't want to jeopardize the visa interview. I was hoping I could just use my recent pay stubs, my family member as a co-sponsor, and my bank account to fulfill their financial requirements.

So my birth certificate I received at birth should be fine then? I hear so much conflicting info on here sometimes :P Although, according to their requirements, it made it sound like they needed both the passport and birth certificate? Maybe I missed the "or", but I'll go see what it said on their instructions again.

Edit: In regards to the Birth Certificate vs Passport debate, the instructions say the Birth Certificate is primary evidence for showing you're a US Citizen - listed under 3. A. If you were born in the US give a copy of your birth certificate (front and back). D: "In place of any of the above, you may give USCIS a valid copy of your passport - you must submit all copies of your passport".

So now that I look at this again, I read this and thought my birth certificate was sufficient, and I just sent in the copy of my primary passport pages just to show I have one, and that a traveled to the Philippines.

Edited by SteelFaithU2

Timeline

I did send in a copy of my Birth Certificate, but I did read on Visajourney that they need a "long-form" birth certificate? All I had was a laminated birth certificate card, and I've never seen or heard of anything else. As for my passport, I copied the primary two pages when you open it, and a photo of my stamps from arriving and departing the Philippines. I just wish I can fix this simple mistake now and just scan all the pages though....

These may or maynot be overlooked. The $10,000.00 will have little impact but it what you are bringing in as income to provide is what will count. Just my thought

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.