JoeCanuk

travel question

11 posts in this topic

I'm guessing dual citizens of the US and Canada might know the answer to my question. I'm wondering if when I become a citizen I can travel to Canada where I am also a citizen with my US passport. My Canadian passport is expired, I can't find any place in the US that takes Canadian passport photos (different specifications) so I can't renew it, and the US passport will say that I am from Canada. So can I use it and if so, do I say I'm Canadian or American or dual citizen of both? Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. I can't afford two passports right now and I can't afford to travel to Canada right now to get photos taken there.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you enter with a US passport then you are American when in Canada and would be treated as such if you got in a jam.

Re: photos - just take the photos per the guidelines and trim them to the proper size. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/photos.aspx

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I'm guessing dual citizens of the US and Canada might know the answer to my question. I'm wondering if when I become a citizen I can travel to Canada where I am also a citizen with my US passport. My Canadian passport is expired, I can't find any place in the US that takes Canadian passport photos (different specifications) so I can't renew it, and the US passport will say that I am from Canada. So can I use it and if so, do I say I'm Canadian or American or dual citizen of both? Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. I can't afford two passports right now and I can't afford to travel to Canada right now to get photos taken there.

I'm also a Canadian citizen here and my passport expires at the end of the year. I've read somewhere in here, although it's been two years, about people advising that it's faster to courier to Ottawa than to go to a Canadian consulate. That said, the issue you bring up relates to sizing in pictures. I don't think you can trim or alter the pictures as was suggested but I can't confirm that. I'm going to make some inquiry regarding this. Canada uses metric and a certain size in passport pics and the US uses dimensions for the US. It's a silly thing that has a direct impact on those of us in the middle. I may just get my pictures taken while I'm in Canada later this summer on a visit; unless there is some issue related to timelines and how recent the pictures for passports need to be ie within 90 days etc, or if that's even the case.

If you find anything, do post as will I. There has got to be a way to work through this without a problem... :blink:

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

If you need to get pictures with Canadian sizes while in the US, just use this site: http://www.epassportphoto.com/ It's completely free. Just choose 'Canada' from the country drop-down box, and 'Passport' from the photo drop-down box.

I used this site for my IV package at NVC, my medical pictures, and my interview pictures for my CR-1 visa with no issues.

I agree with Saylin on going with free (free is good :) ), but if you still want to pay you should be able to go to any large chain pharmacy/store (Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid maybe even almart etc) that has the yellow Kodak photo terminal/machine and just tell them you need a passport photo to Canadian specs. When I did my US passport photos at one of these places there was a list of countries and even purposes (passport/visa etc) that it would format the photos for so they should be able to do it if they have the Kodak machine (assume all those Kodak machines have the same software). If the clerk says he does not know or does not think he can, ask him to try and see as it probably is able to format them. As a side note I have had US passport photos done using this same machine in Canada and photos came out formatted for US no problems it even puts lines where the clerk is supposed to cut the photo to get the size right.

Whatever you do... do not go to a "photo/camera" store I have never had any good success with photo shops, pharmacies always do a better job and far cheaper! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have only had to do this the opposite way(my US passport was lost and I needed to enter the US). And I was able to enter the US without my passport as a US citizen when I explained the situation. I only had to show my proof of citizenship(birth certificate) and it was no problem. My understanding was that if you have enough to prove your citizenship they would have a hard time denying you entry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sears does Canada size passport photos, I got mine renewed last year and it was great. Canada actually sent them back because my forehead was shiny, so I went back to Sears and they re-did them at no cost. Just go to Sears and tell them you need Canada sized, it's no big deal.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Sears does Canada size passport photos, I got mine renewed last year and it was great. Canada actually sent them back because my forehead was shiny, so I went back to Sears and they re-did them at no cost. Just go to Sears and tell them you need Canada sized, it's no big deal.

Good tips for sure. I didn't know Sears did that here. I was planning on visiting Canada for the first time since I moved here....I was going to get pics done in Canada and bring them back, then apply to renew my passport. It's expiring at the end of the year. The passport pics need to be current as in within 12 months according to the Canadian website...

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Thanks for the tips everyone. :) I asked my local Walgreens one time and they said they couldn't do it. Maybe they just didn't know it. Wal Mart couldn't do it either. :(

xenaxe, I will let you know if I find anything.

So I'm hoping if I can't get it done anywhere (I could try to find a white wall to take my own pic on and use that free site), that I can just use my US passport to enter Canada. After all, I am a Canadian citizen and the passport will say that I am from Canada so they have to let me in right?

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

You can get canadian passport photos from online. There is a website/company that takes your photos and cuts them to the size and also stamps the back of the image just like they request in Canada. I had some done locally, they should be able to do any size, and I also once had photos done in New York City.

Try going to a small locally owned photo shop and give them the dimentions.

If u go at Walgreens and tell them u want Canadian passport pictures they will do it. They have a software that makes the pictures for different countries (as they are required).

Patience is the greatest virtue. We all need it while dealing with USCIS (hahaha)

Entered US (B1/B2 visa): Sept 19, 2008

I94 expiry: March 19, 2009

Married: Nov 28th, 2008

Mailed: AOS, I-130, I-131, I-785: March 2nd, 2009

Check cashed: March 12th, 2009

NOAs received: March 13th, 2009 (Issued: March 11th, 2009)

Biometrics Appoint. Received: March 16th, 2009 (Issued: March 13th, 2009)

Biometrics Scheduled: March 27, 2009

Biometrics done: March 18th, 2009

Received Advance Parole: May 4th, 2009

EAD: May 7th, 2009

Interview invitation received: June 5th, 2009

Interview date: July 13th, 2009

Green card approved & passport stamped at the interview: July 13th, 2009

Welcome letter received: July 21st, 2009

Green card received: July 27th, 2009

Condition removal mailed: April, 18th, 2011

Condition removal approved: July 21st, 2011

10 years green card received: July 27th, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.