jaycali

Scandinavians/Europeans - Debt

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

One of my main concerns with moving are job situation and wages.

I know at least in Scandinavia and the Nordic countries, wages are generally higher than what they are in the US. Of course, living costs in the US are significantly lower than in Scandinavia, so it levels out.

But do any of you have debt back in Scandinavia, with minimum monthly payments far exceeding what's "normal" in the US?

I have some credit card debts that I'm currently trying to pay off before I move, but my main concern is my huge student loan that has no chance of being paid off in the near future.

The minimum payments are big, but manageable on a Norwegian salary, but assuming I don't get an above-average income in the US immediately, I'm concerned about the prospect of paying a huge portion of my wages just in student loan payments.

Have any of you had this problem?

Same here, I have a huge student loan in Denmark. However, I don't have to start paying it off until 2014 (Two years after graduation) There is still the interest though but it is a lot lower than the bank.

I know from fellow students and friends in Denmark that for the student loan payback scheme, there is a minimum payment per month for student loan. Of course, you can pay more if you have the income.

However, under special circumstances you can also negotiate with the government to make a smaller payments or postpone your payment scheme, if you don't make that much money or are unemployed.

I think the best action to do is to have a good communication with the creditor that you owe the money, they are interested in getting their money back and if you show that you plan to make payments appropriate to your income, you can work something out.

But yeah, I am also trying not to worry about my student loan until 2013-2014. My fiancee is already starting to pay off her US student loan though. They are not so generous on student loan in the US as in the Scandinavia.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

I understand your concern!

I don't have any credit card debt so I don't know about that, but it might be possible to negotiate a lower payment for a while, but then of course you will have to pay even more in the end...

I'm planning to pay off my student loan (Luckily I don't have much left...)when I sell my apartment.

But I think you can apply to have an extension (vet ikke om det er riktig ord? utsettelse) due to lack of income? Sjekk with Lånekassen about your options. If they can't give you an extesion maybe they can lower the monthly costs or give you an avdragsfri periode?

I have been looking to see what I can expect to get paid in a similar job that I have now in the US. We are looking at more than 50% decrease in my salary!

K-1

Feb.14 2012: Mailed I-129F

Aug.14 2012: NOA2!! (179 days)

Oct.4 2012: Interview! Approved!

Oct.12 2012: Visa in hand

Dec.02 2012: POE

AOS

March 9 2013 AOS packet sent

March 18 2013 NOA1

April 1 2013 Biometrics done (appointment April 11)

May 25 2013 EAD/AP received

We are looking at more than 50% decrease in my salary!

It is good that I don't already have a real job besides student jobs then. I'm taking anything when I get to the US! It can only be an increase in income! biggrin.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have student loans too and his concerns me a bit. But I think in Sweden, you can apply to have your monthly fee lowered for various reasons, one of which being moving abroad.

I have student loans too and his concerns me a bit. But I think in Sweden, you can apply to have your monthly fee lowered for various reasons, one of which being moving abroad.

Marriage : June 30, 2011

I-130 Sent : November 26, 2011

I-130 NOA1 : December 2, 2011

I-130 Approved : May 2, 2012

NVC Received : May 14, 2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : June 1, 2012

Pay I-864 Bill : June 5, 2012

Return Completed DS-3032 : June 1, 2012

Pay IV Bill : June 7, 2012

Case Completed at NVC : July 2, 2012

Interview Date : September 28, 2012

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : October 3, 2012

US Entry : December 23, 2012

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 301 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Swedish-American Midsummer

My wedding day - the best day of my life

Mr. Borkström @ Wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yes this is a big burden on my shoulders! Don't know how to solve it at the end, but if what you say is correct Mr.Borkström, then I shall immediately call csn 2mrw and see what they say about lower my payments! Thanks for the tip :thumbs:

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Alaska, check this out:

CSN:s hemsida

Hope it helps.

Marriage : June 30, 2011

I-130 Sent : November 26, 2011

I-130 NOA1 : December 2, 2011

I-130 Approved : May 2, 2012

NVC Received : May 14, 2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : June 1, 2012

Pay I-864 Bill : June 5, 2012

Return Completed DS-3032 : June 1, 2012

Pay IV Bill : June 7, 2012

Case Completed at NVC : July 2, 2012

Interview Date : September 28, 2012

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : October 3, 2012

US Entry : December 23, 2012

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 301 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Swedish-American Midsummer

My wedding day - the best day of my life

Mr. Borkström @ Wordpress.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.