Amber Scally

I-134 Affidavit of Support

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Amber, and I have a few questions about some forms that my Fiance, Brian, and I need to fill out.

We're currently in the process of getting things started for the Interview in London, but, my question is about the affidavit of support.

We JUST got the letter from the Consulate with instructions, and I was reading through the information on the I134, but I've seen some conflicting information.

Let me first start off by stating, that I make under the %125 of the Poverty Guidelines, so I am having my Uncle fill the I-134 out as the sponsor for my fiance. Do I have to file as a Co-Sponsor, or is that later when I fill out the I-864 for the AOS?

One person stated that you needed tax returns to go along with the I-134, then I seen a post stating that you did NOT need the I-134. So I'm just a mite confused.

When you load the instructions for the I-134, it doesn't state that you need the tax forms.

Also, I need to write a letter with my intent to marry Brian. Is there one that is already written as an example of what this one needs to state? I know when I was filling out the K1 Fiance Visa paperwork there was one that we wrote and there was an example that we followed and just signed at the bottom.

Sorry to ramble on, just didn't see the need to ask the questions in separate posts, but I'm hoping for an end to my confusion. Thanks in advance for any help that I might receive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello, Everyone!

My name is Amber, and I have a few questions about some forms that my Fiance, Brian, and I need to fill out.

We're currently in the process of getting things started for the Interview in London, but, my question is about the affidavit of support.

We JUST got the letter from the Consulate with instructions, and I was reading through the information on the I134, but I've seen some conflicting information.

Let me first start off by stating, that I make under the %125 of the Poverty Guidelines, so I am having my Uncle fill the I-134 out as the sponsor for my fiance. Do I have to file as a Co-Sponsor, or is that later when I fill out the I-864 for the AOS?

One person stated that you needed tax returns to go along with the I-134, then I seen a post stating that you did NOT need the I-134. So I'm just a mite confused.

When you load the instructions for the I-134, it doesn't state that you need the tax forms.

Also, I need to write a letter with my intent to marry Brian. Is there one that is already written as an example of what this one needs to state? I know when I was filling out the K1 Fiance Visa paperwork there was one that we wrote and there was an example that we followed and just signed at the bottom.

Sorry to ramble on, just didn't see the need to ask the questions in separate posts, but I'm hoping for an end to my confusion. Thanks in advance for any help that I might receive.

For the 134 you are the sponsor and the uncle is the co-sponsor, you will each fill out one complete form. Typically the last year tax transcript (can order from irs.gov), or the entire tax return is needed. As well, letter from employer and bank statements... from each.

You will each need to write letter of intent to marry within 90 days of entering USA. Sign and date it, pretty simple.

Good luck!!!

Timeline

For the 134 you are the sponsor and the uncle is the co-sponsor, you will each fill out one complete form. Typically the last year tax transcript (can order from irs.gov), or the entire tax return is needed. As well, letter from employer and bank statements... from each.

You will each need to write letter of intent to marry within 90 days of entering USA. Sign and date it, pretty simple.

Good luck!!!

Well, again, conflicting information. The gentleman in http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/ that thread of discussion, states that for the I-134 that just the Sponsor needs to fill it out, but that for the AOS, I'd file for the Sponsor, and my uncle would file for CO-Sponsor.

And

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

It doesn't state there, that you need to use your tax return, just the letter from bank, and letter from employer.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but, this seriously doesn't make sense to have so much conflicting information. -_-.

Hello, Everyone!

Welcome! First and foremost, regardless of your financial situation, you are always the primary sponsor of your fiancé. Anyone else, e.g. your uncle, is a co-sponsor for your fiancé...even if you don't need to fill out/submit a personal I-134 for London.

Also, be sure to visit the UK forum. There's an awesome thread pinned that provides info on what you'll need for the interview: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

While you'll get great advice in the K-1 forum, it's best to read up on the embassy-specific needs at this stage since they vary on what's needed/not needed. :thumbs:

Good luck!

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

Welcome! First and foremost, regardless of your financial situation, you are always the primary sponsor of your fiancé. Anyone else, e.g. your uncle, is a co-sponsor for your fiancé...even if you don't need to fill out/submit a personal I-134 for London.

Also, be sure to visit the UK forum. There's an awesome thread pinned that provides info on what you'll need for the interview: http://www.visajourn...terview-thread/

While you'll get great advice in the K-1 forum, it's best to read up on the embassy-specific needs at this stage since they vary on what's needed/not needed. :thumbs:

Good luck!

Sorry, I hadn't realized that there were country based forums. But, I had read that topic, and had thought I understood the process a lot better, then read some other information in a different thread that conflicted. Lol. This process really does ones head in.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Well, again, conflicting information. The gentleman in http://www.visajourn...terview-thread/ that thread of discussion, states that for the I-134 that just the Sponsor needs to fill it out, but that for the AOS, I'd file for the Sponsor, and my uncle would file for CO-Sponsor.

And

http://www.uscis.gov.../i-134instr.pdf

It doesn't state there, that you need to use your tax return, just the letter from bank, and letter from employer.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but, this seriously doesn't make sense to have so much conflicting information. -_-.

Most consulates have specific rules which follow the guitelines of the 864 for fiancee using the 134 (the 134 is general used for other types of visa which may not require the tax return... but since you are looking forward to the AOS, 864 rules generally apply). For London specific, visit the cousular website for more information, including requirement for tax return at 134 stage.

http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

Also, be sure to visit the UK forum. There's an awesome thread pinned that provides info on what you'll need for the interview: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

Good luck!

Non-immigrant visas like the K1 only require one sponsor. There isn't even any such thing as joint sponsorship listed in I134 instructions.

So we don't really know what they do with these multiple I134's received at the consulates. Especially at London. There is anecdotal evidence from London of applicants submitting an I134 from someone other than the petitioner - and no official ever asking for an I134 from the petitioner.

It seems to be good practice for the petitioner for file an I134, even if another person will also file one.

As always, the financial requirements for proving sponsorship varies wildly from consulate to consulate.

Later on, when I864 is filed, the contractual document requires the petitioner be the sponsor, and joint sponsorship is described.

It's a tiny detail, but a good one to know.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I think I'm the guy gal you referred to posting in the link you gave.

If you're reading things from other consulates, then stop because each has their own plan of busineses. Here's what London says about the I-134 on the embassy website. http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

This is what I know about London

• Your fiance needs a sponsor. It can be you, friends, family or even himself if he has a lot of cash savings.
  • A tax return is not a requirement if earnings can be proven another way (like employer letter, pay slips, etc)
  • An I-134 isn't required. It's just an easy way to get all the required info down. That link tells you how to do a do-it-yourself affidavit and all the verbiage that must be included.
  • Nothing has to be notarized
  • If you want to send an I-134 for yourself, you can but they will be okay with only your uncle.

I agree with Rebecca Jo that I-134 does not even have joint sponsorship. The law just says the officer needs to be convinced the immigrant will not become a public charge.

For London you don't need that letter unless Brian lets many, many months go by without doing anything toward sending in his forms. I recall someone who waited about 6 months and wanted their I-129F petition extended past the expiration. London wanted to know the petitioner was still on board in the form of a new letter of intent. So you can skip the letter. People also say on here that the beneficiary also needs another letter of intent. If you read the bottom of form DS-156K that Brian will fill out, he declares (and signs in front of the interviewer) his intent to marry within 90 days. A letter from him would be redundant.

Do you also know London is not interested in your photos, continuing relationship, facebook status, engagement ring, trips to see each other or endless Skype logs?? They 1000% will NOT look at it. You will not suddenly be the first (in the four years I have closely followed London), so save some time and bother.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I think I'm the guy gal you referred to posting in the link you gave.

If you're reading things from other consulates, then stop because each has their own plan of busineses. Here's what London says about the I-134 on the embassy website. http://london.usemba...faffidavit.html

This is what I know about London

• Your fiance needs a sponsor. It can be you, friends, family or even himself if he has a lot of cash savings.
  • A tax return is not a requirement if earnings can be proven another way (like employer letter, pay slips, etc)
  • An I-134 isn't required. It's just an easy way to get all the required info down. That link tells you how to do a do-it-yourself affidavit and all the verbiage that must be included.
  • Nothing has to be notarized
  • If you want to send an I-134 for yourself, you can but they will be okay with only your uncle.

I agree with Rebecca Jo that I-134 does not even have joint sponsorship. The law just says the officer needs to be convinced the immigrant will not become a public charge.

For London you don't need that letter unless Brian lets many, many months go by without doing anything toward sending in his forms. I recall someone who waited about 6 months and wanted their I-129F petition extended past the expiration. London wanted to know the petitioner was still on board in the form of a new letter of intent. So you can skip the letter. People also say on here that the beneficiary also needs another letter of intent. If you read the bottom of form DS-156K that Brian will fill out, he declares (and signs in front of the interviewer) his intent to marry within 90 days. A letter from him would be redundant.

Do you also know London is not interested in your photos, continuing relationship, facebook status, engagement ring, trips to see each other or endless Skype logs?? They 1000% will NOT look at it. You will not suddenly be the first (in the four years I have closely followed London), so save some time and bother.

Thank you, very much.

Also, sorry to call you a he, when you are in fact a she.

Timeline

Well, again, conflicting information. The gentleman in http://www.visajourn...terview-thread/ that thread of discussion, states that for the I-134 that just the Sponsor needs to fill it out, but that for the AOS, I'd file for the Sponsor, and my uncle would file for CO-Sponsor.

And

http://www.uscis.gov.../i-134instr.pdf

Conflicting or not, tax transcripts are free, and I would recommend having at least one year's available for you and your co-sponsor, as well as letter from employer/bank. If you have it and they ask for it, you're prepared. If you don't have it, and they ask for it... complaining about conflicting information is NOT going to help

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.