Clarkey85

Sending Packet tomorow - Help!

14 posts in this topic

I am sending the I-130 packet tomorrow along with all the other forms. I have 2 questions:

1. We got married last weekend and my wife has put her maiden name on all of the forms. If she changes her name in the meantime will this cause problems in getting it all approved?

2. What is the address that I need to send the packet to, and how should i compile and send it. i.e envelope, flat rate shipping / fedex / ups / usps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lewis

Filed: Timeline

I am in the same position as you with my wife's maiden name (USC). We've decided to hold off on her changing her last name until the Adjustment of Status is complete -- mitigating risk and changing her name isn't a super high priority.

As for sending in the documents -- select a trackable service to deliver your documents. I used FedEx. But UPS, USPS, etc. will all do. Use the one that suits your budget. Trackable and must be signed for are key elements. If you use an express service, you should send your documents to:

USCIS

FBAS

131 South Dearborn-3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

I am sending the I-130 packet tomorrow along with all the other forms. I have 2 questions:

1. We got married last weekend and my wife has put her maiden name on all of the forms. If she changes her name in the meantime will this cause problems in getting it all approved?

2. What is the address that I need to send the packet to, and how should i compile and send it. i.e envelope, flat rate shipping / fedex / ups / usps.

Lewis

for the first question : No, it's not gonna coz any problem. this is the right thing to do.

second

if you decide to send it in the regular mail this is the address:

USCIS

P.O.BOX 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

if you decide to send it through special courier or on the express mail ( I used USPS Express $ 18) , you have to send it to this address :

USCIS

Attn: FBAS

131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

I am sending the I-130 packet tomorrow along with all the other forms.

Monday is Memorial Day so Tuesday may be your sending day.

I have 2 questions:

1. We got married last weekend and my wife has put her maiden name on all of the forms. If she changes her name in the meantime will this cause problems in getting it all approved

If she intends to use your name, then start using it with immigration and don't hop in with it later when you remove conditions or apply for citizenship. #7 is where she puts her maiden name. They'll get it that she recently married. Why change names in the middle of your immigration journey? There's no magical name change date. It evolves over time. It's when she starts using it. It will take awhile to notify her bank, credit cards, DMV, etc. but she can go by your name today and it's okay.

If you read the Instructions (click) then you will see the addresses on page 5 under Filing Form I-130 with Form I-485.

I always use USPS Priority Mail cardboard envelope. It takes two days. FedEx overnight is a waste of money because it's going to sit in a pile a long time.

That's my opinion, not advice.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Monday is Memorial Day so Tuesday may be your sending day.

I have 2 questions:

If she intends to use your name, then start using it with immigration and don't hop in with it later when you remove conditions or apply for citizenship. #7 is where she puts her maiden name. They'll get it that she recently married. Why change names in the middle of your immigration journey? There's no magical name change date. It evolves over time. It's when she starts using it. It will take awhile to notify her bank, credit cards, DMV, etc. but she can go by your name today and it's okay.

If you read the Instructions (click) then you will see the addresses on page 5 under Filing Form I-130 with Form I-485.

I always use USPS Priority Mail cardboard envelope. It takes two days. FedEx overnight is a waste of money because it's going to sit in a pile a long time.

- Thank you for the advice. Would the USPS Priority Mail cardboard envelope be classified as 'Express Mail' or regular mail evidently this effects which address i send it to.

That's my opinion, not advice.

I am in the same position as you with my wife's maiden name (USC). We've decided to hold off on her changing her last name until the Adjustment of Status is complete -- mitigating risk and changing her name isn't a super high priority.

Whoever told you this is giving bad advice. You should change the name now, and apply for AOS in the new name. USCIS does this all of the time. If you wait, you will have to pay $600 for a new Greencard. There is no reason to wait.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Whoever told you this is giving bad advice. You should change the name now, and apply for AOS in the new name. USCIS does this all of the time. If you wait, you will have to pay $600 for a new Greencard. There is no reason to wait.

Re-read my post. My name isn't the one changing and I'm the beneficiary.

Re-read my post. My name isn't the one changing and I'm the beneficiary.

There is still no reason to wait, but to each his own!

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

- Thank you for the advice. Would the USPS Priority Mail cardboard envelope be classified as 'Express Mail' or regular mail evidently this effects which address i send it to.

Priority mail is USPS. It's a flat rate to send if it fits in the mailer. The mailers are free at the post office. You can add return receipt where you get a signed postcard back. I did that once and the postcard did 't make it back to me for months. After the first submission, I quit worrying about fancy things for the next three. Priority Mail includes delivery confirmation .

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I agree with all for AOS put the name you want to use and appear on your green card. My wifes AOS we filed under her Maiden name then at our IO interview she changed the name her name as she wanted to with no issues. Our IO was professional and accommodating. After getting her green card we changed the social and drivers license. Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

I agree with all for AOS put the name you want to use and appear on your green card. My wifes AOS we filed under her Maiden name then at our IO interview she changed the name her name as she wanted to with no issues. Our IO was professional and accommodating. After getting her green card we changed the social and drivers license. Good Luck.

Both the OP and the other who has the same question are MALE beneficiaries and not changing their names. Their greencard name is not in question or will ever need changing. The question is whether their USC wives should complete and sign the I-130 petition in their new married name or their maiden name.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Both the OP and the other who has the same question are MALE beneficiaries and not changing their names. Their greencard name is not in question or will ever need changing. The question is whether their USC wives should complete and sign the I-130 petition in their new married name or their maiden name.

Who cares...the spirit of their answers remains unchanged. :bonk:

July 2005 - met my awesome, hot, amazing love in Lousiana.
July 2006 - Married said love and moved to Canada.
June 2011 - Entered US to visit family, decided to stay.
Feb. 2012 - Sent paperwork to Chicago.

May 2012 - Received green card.

Day 0 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox - 02/27/2012
Day 2 - UPS Tracking Confirmation - 02/29/2012
Day 4 - NOA Emails Received - 03/02/2012
Day 7 - All Checks Cashed - 03/05/2012
Day 11 - Hard Copy NOA's Received - 03/09/2012
Day 11 - Biometrics Appointment Received - 03/09/2012
--------- - Booked for - 04/03/2012 (day 36)
Day 35 - Early Biometricts Walk-in - 04/02/2012
Day 44 - Received Appointment Letter - 04/11/2012
Day 58 - EAD Approval Online - 04/25/2012
Day 63 - EAD in the mail - 04/30/2012
Day 65 - EAD in hand - 05/02/2012
Day 77 - AOS Interview - 05/14/2012
Day 77 - AOS Approved!
Day 84 - Green Card In Hand - 05/21/2012

Who cares...the spirit of their answers remains unchanged. :bonk:

I read bigdogs's answer as pertaining to getting the name right on the greencard [put the name you want to use and appear on your green card.] So he might have a different opinion if it's only about the last name of the one filing the I-130. Just wanted to clarify it's a different scenario than when a newly married female is beneficiary.

There's a variety of opinions in this thread

2 think USC's maiden name (the ones who haven't filed)

1 thinks USC's married name and list maiden for "other names" (me)

2 said apply in name you want on greencard or it will cost you, which doesn't apply to the question asked.

In the end, it probably isn't critical which name the wife/petitioner uses.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry if I miss read, good luck.

Edited by bigdog

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.