adiiann

How needy you are to have Filipino friends in your area?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

"How needy you are to have Filipino friends in your area"

This question popped up in my mind when someone told me that I need friends closer to me. Then, I started to analyze my situation. I am not socially isolated as I have good rapport with my co-workers, I talked to my neighbors once in awhile when we're out for gardening or cleaning cars, and I am fine joining the neighborhood meeting sometimes.

I just don't feel like I need to find Filipino friends in my area. If we meet some, that's great. Me and my husband both working, and I want to spend my time doing house chores or doing my handicrafts or read books whenever my husband is not around and I am home. Since, we're both working, we always spend time together either going out or just being home to watch movie or play games.

Our life has been in fast track and there's a lot of changes since I got here 3 years ago. My husband's friends become my friends, and I always have fun going out with them but when we move to other state, we just hang out whenever we're in IL. Right now, I don't have any close friends in my area. I am kinda too busy to really go out with friends right now.

I wonder if some have same situation as I am. Would like to hear some experiences from others.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

My wife does not feel the need to have Filipino friends. Using your logic, if she does meet Filipinos...fine. But she doesn't feel the necessity of befriending another Kababayan.

However, she prefers not to mingle with other Filipinos. Most, if not all, the Filipinos we met here are somewhat strange. What I mean by that is: some like to brag about everything they have, some have a feeling of entitlement, some are just tsismosa...and most have this crab mentality. :whistle: I'm not saying that everyone is like this. In our experience, this was the case.

My wife and I are definitely homebodies. We love spending time with each other. Our mutual friends are a select few. And it doesn't bother us one bit. :yes:

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

Filed: Timeline

We have too many Filipino "friends". The wife started her own group, and they grew to about, ten members, too many really. Then they had the inevitable schism. But, we probably know close to 200 Filipino families that live in the area, and every time we visit another part of the state, I get to meet more of her old friends from school, or work, back in the Philippines. She has five Filipinas alone she works with. Filipinos really are everywhere, now that I know how to recognize them. I think it is an invasion.

My wife does not feel the need to have Filipino friends. Using your logic, if she does meet Filipinos...fine. But she doesn't feel the necessity of befriending another Kababayan.

However, she prefers not to mingle with other Filipinos. Most, if not all, the Filipinos we met here are somewhat strange. What I mean by that is: some like to brag about everything they have, some have a feeling of entitlement, some are just tsismosa...and most have this crab mentality. :whistle: I'm not saying that everyone is like this. In our experience, this was the case.

My wife and I are definitely homebodies. We love spending time with each other. Our mutual friends are a select few. And it doesn't bother us one bit. :yes:

same here

AOS Journey

2-22-2012 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/ paperwork.

2-28-2012 - Return Receipt.

3-05-2012 - NOA I-797C received for I-485, I-765 and biometrics appointment for 3-29-2012

3-07-2012 - Sent Notice to Reschedule Appointment at local ASC by certified mail

3-10-2012 - Return Receipt

3-20-2012 - received text/email the case is transferred

3-24-2012 - NOA I-797C notice received that the case is transferred at CSC

3-30-2012 - Received NOA I-797 New Biometrics Appointment for 4-24-2012

4-24-2012 - BIOMETRICS and same day my I-765 status is in production

4-30-2012 - received text/email notification EAD is on my way

5-03-2012 - received EAC

9-10-2012 - GC/DOCUMENT PRODUCTION

9-11-2012 - CSC mail out the Welcome Letter

9-12-2012 - CSC mail out the Green Card

9-14-2012 - Welcome Letter received

9-15-2012 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

8-15-2014 - Sent I-751

8-18-2014 - I-751 Delivered

8-18-2014 - NOA I-797

8-20-2014 - Check Cashed

9-11-2014 - Biometrics Appointment

11-18-2014- Received email and text notification that green card is in production

11-19-2014- CSC mail out GREEN CARD

bzto184.png

xkNdm5.png

Markieboy: You are in Seattle and Im in Arizona. Its strange that you are describing the filipinas/filipinos i met here in my area. :bonk:

To the OP: Frankly speaking, 3 years here in the US. This year, I intentionally did not bother to meet or know another filipino/filipinas. No intent to exert effort to meet or see another kababayan unless they are also attending the same function im in. Most of the filipinas i met are chismosa, and inggitera. I dont mind them bragging abouth their stuff. The one that irritates me the most are filipinos asking about the price of our house, my computer, desk in my home office. Though i have 5 filipina friends here. We dont meet often. We are all busy and have no time to meet up. Life is short. Just do whatever you have to do and enjoy it.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

My wife has a couple Filipino friends. She doesnt stay in close contact with them anymore. She mentioned just this week about a co-worker of hers who is an American caucasian...her son is getting married to a Filipino soon and bringing her here on a K-1 visa. I told my wife that will be fun for her, that she will get to meet her and maybe be friends. My wife responded that it isnt exciting to her, that she doesnt care to meet others from the Philippines anymore. She thinks of herself as an American, and she said she is already used to being here and living the life of an American, and someone from the Philippines isnt so special to her anymore.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This question popped up in my mind when someone told me that I need friends closer to me. Then, I started to analyze my situation. I am not socially isolated as I have good rapport with my co-workers, I talked to my neighbors once in awhile when we're out for gardening or cleaning cars, and I am fine joining the neighborhood meeting sometimes.

I just don't feel like I need to find Filipino friends in my area. If we meet some, that's great. Me and my husband both working, and I want to spend my time doing house chores or doing my handicrafts or read books whenever my husband is not around and I am home. Since, we're both working, we always spend time together either going out or just being home to watch movie or play games.

Our life has been in fast track and there's a lot of changes since I got here 3 years ago. My husband's friends become my friends, and I always have fun going out with them but when we move to other state, we just hang out whenever we're in IL. Right now, I don't have any close friends in my area. I am kinda too busy to really go out with friends right now.

I wonder if some have same situation as I am. Would like to hear some experiences from others.

Hi...

I just got here last month and i don't have any filipina friends here.. I met a lot of american friends from my fiance family, friends and neighbor. I don't have close friends to our neighbor because they are so busy with there kids and works. So everyday when my fiance went to work i feel like im just the only one person live to our st. But then i never get bored because i have a lot of things to make myself busy... even that is my routine. I met this filipina woman in same subdivision just a couple of blocks from our house. Because she saw the Philippine flag that my fiance brought that on February when he was in Philippines. We met then figure out after 2 weeks that she is not a good influence for me, she always advice me that i have to be like this and to be like that, i have to work and etc. We never hang out because we want to spend time talking about our family back in the Philippines. My fiance is very happy that i have a friend specially she is a filipina. I just got tired of her always asking help from me after i help her once , she always open a topic about work, work, and work.. she wanted me to help her because she is a care giver. of-course i want to help her as much as i can, but its not my business to help her to her work. to be specified she always asked me to stay to her employee house to watch over the old-lady. because she wants to go out for important matter she said. First i dont want to tell to my fiance about her that i don't like her and what she asked from me, because when i met her i am so happy and so my fiance. But i cant stand with her anymore and i have tell to open up about the topic to my fiance. My fiance told me that he can see that even before that she is getting advantage to me. But he never told me because he wanted me to see to myself. So right now i am content what i have i remember the quotes when i was in high school that i always used " IT'S BETTER TO BE ALONE THAN IN A BAD COMPANION"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Mine has no need for it. Just because they are Filipino doesn't mean they are your kind of people. Same thing with me in the Philippines. I don't have any interest in looking for other Americanos. Casual meeting in a store or something is fine, but going out of your way just because they are Americano, no.

Timeline

I am in Arizona too and we've never met so I guess we're on the same plight :)

To the OP - I befriend anybody but definitely not needy to join fellowships and other functions just to have Filipino friends. I'm not snub but mostly timid. I appreciate the invites but I don't know why I don't really look forward to attending those. Besides far, I have been to a few get together and me and my husband realize we just don't belong to "their group" so we instead enjoy our time together or hang out with few selected buddies and do something interesting other than talking about other people :)

Markieboy: You are in Seattle and Im in Arizona. Its strange that you are describing the filipinas/filipinos i met here in my area. :bonk:

To the OP: Frankly speaking, 3 years here in the US. This year, I intentionally did not bother to meet or know another filipino/filipinas. No intent to exert effort to meet or see another kababayan unless they are also attending the same function im in. Most of the filipinas i met are chismosa, and inggitera. I dont mind them bragging abouth their stuff. The one that irritates me the most are filipinos asking about the price of our house, my computer, desk in my home office. Though i have 5 filipina friends here. We dont meet often. We are all busy and have no time to meet up. Life is short. Just do whatever you have to do and enjoy it.

Reunited for good and it feels so good!

----- I-129F ------

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-05

NOA2 : 2009-09-01

Medical : 2009-10-01/02

Interview : 2009-10-13

POE (San Francisco) : 2009-11-20

Wedding : 2009-12-30

SSN (Married Name) : 2010-01-11

SSN Card Arrival : 2010-01-15

AOS Sent: 2010-03-19

AOS Arrived: 2010-03-25

AOS&EAD Notice Rcvd: 2010-04-30 dated 2010-04-23

AP Notice Rcvd: 2010-04-01

Biometrics Taken: 2010-05-07

Biometrics Schedule: 2010-05-21

EAD Card Arrived: 2010-06-16

Interview Schedule: 2010-06-25

Removal of Conditions

Packet Sent: May 14, 2012

Packet Received: May 16, 2012

INFOPASS Schedule: June 14, 2012

Biometrics Taken: June 14, 2012 (same day passport was stamped 1-551/6-month extension inc work authorization)

Biometrics Schedule: June 27, 2012

I was already friends with several very nice Pinay (wives of friends) when my wife came here. They actually influenced me to stick my toe in the "dating a Piany waters". Anyway now the she is here we have several FIL-AM couples we enjoy doing things with, riding Motorcycles, going out to eat every Sunday night, etc etc. The Beauty of it is that I was already friends with the Husbands. She instantly bonded with the girls and now has a small network of girls she talks to frequently. I personally think it has made the transition easy for her. We have not had any adjustment or homesick issues. It's like she has lived her 10 years. EXCEPT for---

She yawned when I bought her a car and Wigged out and took 10 pictures when I bought her a clothesline, so she did not have to sue the dryer lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

...and most have this crab mentality.

i've heard this in a facebook game group i belong to. what exactly is it?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

i've heard this in a facebook game group i belong to. what exactly is it?

Here are a couple of informative links:

http://www.ich9.com/cultural-baggage/what-is-filipino-crab-mentality/

http://bangsamoro.wordpress.com/2007/05/04/filipino-crab-mentality-the-institutionalization-of-mediocracy/

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

My wife didn't feel at home until she had a Filipina friend. It didn't take a lot of them, just one good friend she could relate to and talk in her native language with. We get together with her and her husband somewhat regularly and I get along great with her husband to. We've met quite a few Filipinas since she got here last September. Some were just plain a bad influence, back biting, gossiping, trying to get her to do everything separate from me. Personally I believe a married couple should spend the majority of their free time together, even if you are doing things with other friends to. Marriage is about building a life together, and not about building a life apart. Just my own view, I know other ways work for other people and that's fine to, it just doesn't work for us that way. There is another couple we'll get together on occasion to, and one divorced Filipina who is desperately searching for a man lol. We have many of my previous friends we also still do things with to. And my wife has become friends with them. So I guess we have a fair blend on it all. But mostly its the two of us living and enjoying our lives together no matter if we're with others or alone.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am in Arizona too and we've never met so I guess we're on the same plight :)

To the OP - I befriend anybody but definitely not needy to join fellowships and other functions just to have Filipino friends. I'm not snub but mostly timid. I appreciate the invites but I don't know why I don't really look forward to attending those. Besides far, I have been to a few get together and me and my husband realize we just don't belong to "their group" so we instead enjoy our time together or hang out with few selected buddies and do something interesting other than talking about other people :)

WoW! The Arizona crowd is growing!!! Of course there is Darren in Phoenix... :whistle: And I am about 110 miles south, there are a fair number of Filipinos around but my fiancee has little desire to makes friends with any just because of them being Filipino, we are both home bodies when we aren't out riding.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.