meltow30

Petitioner having a job

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi -

Is it absolutely necessary that I be employed full time when I file my I-129F? I think my parents would be able to sponsor us as well but just not sure what the criteria is? I am currently looking for jobs but haven't found one yet, hopefully soon. Should I wait until I am employed? How much do I need to be making?

Thank you!

Melissa

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

To qualify as a sponsor, you must demonstrate that your income is at least 125 percent of the current Federal poverty guideline for your household size. The Federal poverty line, for purposes of this form, is updated annually and can be found on Form I-864P, Poverty Guidelines.

I-864P

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi -

Is it absolutely necessary that I be employed full time when I file my I-129F? I think my parents would be able to sponsor us as well but just not sure what the criteria is? I am currently looking for jobs but haven't found one yet, hopefully soon. Should I wait until I am employed? How much do I need to be making?

Thank you!

Melissa

No, it's not necessary that you work full time, but ff you make less than required 125% poverty line amount, you will need a co-sponsor who does (for their houshold size + you and your fiance).

Timeline

No, it's not necessary that you work full time, but ff you make less than required 125% poverty line amount, you will need a co-sponsor who does (for their houshold size + you and your fiance).

Okay thanks. But I read in terms of filing the petition it's OK that I am unemployed and do not need to present a sponsor, financial information yet. That will need to be presented during the interview process?

Edited by meltow30

Timeline

Okay thanks. But I read in terms of filing the petition it's OK that I am unemployed and do not need to present a sponsor, financial information yet. That will need to be presented during the interview process?

Correct. I-134 needs to be presented only at the interview in US consulate abroad.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The co-sponsor would only need to count the USC in their household size if the USC is a dependent on their taxes. If the USC is not claimed by the co-sponsor as a dependent, then the co-sponsor only needs to have enough for their own household size plus the beneficiary.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

The co-sponsor would only need to count the USC in their household size if the USC is a dependent on their taxes. If the USC is not claimed by the co-sponsor as a dependent, then the co-sponsor only needs to have enough for their own household size plus the beneficiary.

True. I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that OP lives with the parents.

But in fact it has not been stated anywhere in this thread, so I may be wrong and stand corrected.

Timeline

True. I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that OP lives with the parents.

But in fact it has not been stated anywhere in this thread, so I may be wrong and stand corrected.

I do currently live with my parents as I just moved back from South Africa. I should be moved out by 1 month 1 1/2 months. However, when I send the petition I may not have my new address yet so will have to use my parents. I am moving out of New York.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I do currently live with my parents as I just moved back from South Africa. I should be moved out by 1 month 1 1/2 months. However, when I send the petition I may not have my new address yet so will have to use my parents. I am moving out of New York.

Household size is not based upon where you live though. Your parents would only need to count you if they actually claimed you as a dependent on their taxes.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.