5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi VJ members,

Need your suggestions!

I am married & conditional green card holder! My ROC is due in October 2012.

I am getting a huge promotion @ my work, but for that I have to move to New York. My wife(USC) is pregnant & she does not want to relocate, as raising child in South Dakota(where we are currently living) is cheaper & safe according to her. But she does not want me to miss this oppurtunity as it hard to get in this economy. I was thinking to go there & work for couple years & then come back here to my wife & child.

My question is, it is OK for USCIS when I file my ROC? Is there any other evidences support my ROC?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

hopefully you have both been filing taxes as married filing jointly, I would continue to file taxes as married filing jointly and use the irs transcripts as evidence...also, any joint rental/purchase contracts are good evidence.

many people in this economy have to travel or go where the work is....they may work in one state, even one far away, and maintain a family household and marriage in their home state.

I would file the ROC from your home address in South Dakota.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It will make it more difficult, but if you have plenty of proof of bonafide marriage (joint financials, visiting eachother often) then you should be fine.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Don't make mistake like many people does (including me) by not having joint bank account & credit account. You still have plenty of time so below items most likely will serve you good:

1) Joint bank account statements (must)

2) Joint credit card statements (must) (Citi card will give you statements with both names after 2 months assuming your wife adds you as an authorized user)

3) Joint mortgage/ rent lease

4) Joint medical / dental / life insurance (almost a must)

5) Visit doctors frequently (assuming you have joint insurance) just for monthly check up & keep saving the bills that will be mailed to both of you.

6) Have the foreign spouses relatives send mails/card by postal service & keep saving the envelopes

7) Joint car insurance

8) Go to vacations. Doesn't have to be long or expensive. At least spend I would say 1 weekend in every 4 months in close by city/state & keep saving the hotel reservation & flight/train/bus booking confirmation.

9) If you like pets, get a dog or cat & get certificate from appropriate authority stating both of you are the pet owner.

10) Open AAA / Costco membership (If money is no issue)

12) Make sure both of you always have driver's license or state issued ID card with same address. (almost a must)

13) Create a will (from wells fargo or talk to your bank). Add the spouse to your will

14) Sponsor an animal in local zoo (doesn't cost too much). Get joint certificate of sponsorship.

15) Shop online (ebay/amazon). Make sure to use spouse's name as recipient. Again, doesn't have to be anything expensive or too frequently. At least 1 item in every 2 month.

16) Gas, cable, electric bills in both names.

17) Add spouse to your work emergency contract.

18) Take pictures together (possibly in different outlook,hair style) in every 2 months.

19) Get joint phone plan (I know T-Mobile has it. Figure it out). Always use your joint credit card, joint bank account (debit card) to bay bills (phone, gift, e.t.c)

20) Child's birth certificate

I wish someone had told me all this 1 year ago :( Good luck.

Edited by rosco_qa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!

Don't make mistake like many people does (including me) by not having joint bank account & credit account. You still have plenty of time so below items most likely will serve you good:

1) Joint bank account statements (must)

2) Joint credit card statements (must) (Citi card will give you statements with both names after 2 months assuming your wife adds you as an authorized user)

3) Joint mortgage/ rent lease

4) Joint medical / dental / life insurance (almost a must)

5) Visit doctors frequently (assuming you have joint insurance) just for monthly check up & keep saving the bills that will be mailed to both of you.

6) Have the foreign spouses relatives send mails/card by postal service & keep saving the envelopes

7) Joint car insurance

8) Go to vacations. Doesn't have to be long or expensive. At least spend I would say 1 weekend in every 4 months in close by city/state & keep saving the hotel reservation & flight/train/bus booking confirmation.

9) If you like pets, get a dog or cat & get certificate from appropriate authority stating both of you are the pet owner.

10) Open AAA / Costco membership (If money is no issue)

12) Make sure both of you always have driver's license or state issued ID card with same address. (almost a must)

13) Create a will (from wells fargo or talk to your bank). Add the spouse to your will

14) Sponsor an animal in local zoo (doesn't cost too much). Get joint certificate of sponsorship.

15) Shop online (ebay/amazon). Make sure to use spouse's name as recipient. Again, doesn't have to be anything expensive or too frequently. At least 1 item in every 2 month.

16) Gas, cable, electric bills in both names.

17) Add spouse to your work emergency contract.

18) Take pictures together (possibly in different outlook,hair style) in every 2 months.

19) Get joint phone plan (I know T-Mobile has it. Figure it out). Always use your joint credit card, joint bank account (debit card) to bay bills (phone, gift, e.t.c)

20) Child's birth certificate

I wish someone had told me all this 1 year ago :( Good luck.

Really appreciate your valuble information...

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.