HuffyTheSlayer

US Passport Question - How long to receive your CoN back?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, you have to mail it in with your passport application. After they verify the information, they process your application and after that they will mail the cert. of naturalization back

Awe man! I thought we could just go to the Post Office and solve everything there without having to send documents. :(

We did get back that folder from New Orleans back, but someone at Chicago decided to swipe it. But both were not folded and both in a large brown envelop. Had the option to install a larger mail box in front of my home, so our postman didn't have to fold it either.

Never said DO NOT BEND on the envelop like they put on a lot of junk mail that also comes in.

I think we need a new mailbox here at home then. :unsure:

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Got it back today guys, thanks for your reassurances! :thumbs:

It was a little worse for wear though. It was in a USPS Certified Mail thin cardboard envelope that was bent by our mail person to fit in the mailbox. :unsure: Even worse though was at some point SOMEONE STAPLED my CoN (I assume to my application). So now there are 2 holes in the corner. *shrug* At least I got it back, I guess. I was concerned because I had no copy. I submitted my passport application and CoN together at my Oath Ceremony. All I had were some cellphone photos I took of it before I submitted it so that I would at least know the number and all the information on it.

I will be scanning it first thing in the morning (scanner is in our child's room).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our DOS agent removed the certificate from its protective folder and was about to staple it to the application. Said stop, leave it in the protective folder and staple the folder to the application. She complied, but admitted this is the way she has always done it.

Just replied, that certificate cost us a lot of time, money, sweat, and tears to get it, would like to protect it. A replacement certificate costs $400.00, have to fill out long forms, and wait 7-12 months to get it. Ironically, working for the DOS, she never heard of that. When we went in again with my stepdaughter, didn't have to repeat all that, she stapled the folder to the application.

It was in a USPS Certified Mail thin cardboard envelope that was bent by our mail person to fit in the mailbox.

Same happened to me, even though it was send to my PO Box... usually when there's envelopes that don't fit in the mailbox without bending, they put it in a bigger one and put the key to that one in my PO Box.... sure enough, once it said US Government as sender they didn't do it :/

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

• 1 month later...

I know this is a silly question - but why isn't it possible for the passport to be provided after the Naturalization ceremony? Every single new citizen will want a passport yet they are forced to send their valuable Naturalization certificate through the post almost as soon as they receive it to the _same agency_ that has just approved them to be Naturalized with a form that repeats all the information that they already have from naturalization. Is it just one of those things that has always been like that?

Edited by Ian W

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I know this is a silly question - but why isn't it possible for the passport to be provided after the Naturalization ceremony? Every single new citizen will want a passport yet they are forced to send their valuable Naturalization certificate through the post almost as soon as they receive it to the _same agency_ that has just approved them to be Naturalized with a form that repeats all the information that they already have from naturalization. Is it just one of those things that has always been like that?

The State Department, responsible for issuing passports, does not fall under the Department of Homeland Security's jurisdiction, as USCIS does.

AOS/ROC/Citizenship Timeline

DO - Baltimore

2010/2011

Day 0 - Nov. 29: I-751(ROC) Package Sent

Day 1 - Nov. 30: I-751(ROC) Package Delivered @ VSC

Day 4 - Dec. 03: I-751(ROC) Check Cashed

Day 34 - Jan. 13-2011: I-751(ROC) Biometrics Appointment Letter for 1/31/11

Day 46 - Jan. 31-2011: I-751(ROC) Biometrics Completed

Day 138 - Jun. 09-2011: I-751(ROC) Approval Letter Received

Day 0 - Oct. 26 '11: N400 Package Sent

Day 1 - Oct. 27 '11: N400 Package Delivered @ Lewisville, TX

Day 5 - Oct. 31 '11: N400 NOA-1

Day 34 - Nov. 28 '11: Email: Placed in line for interview

Day 57 - Dec. 22 '11: Received yellow letter

Day 144 - Mar. 17 '12: Received fingerprinting letter

Day 147 - Mar. 20 '12: Biometrics completed

Day 156 - Mar. 29 '12: Email: Interview scheduled, letter in mail

Day 190 - May. 02 '12: Interview Completed, Passed, Oath same day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.