celtichobbit

Joint Sponsor and Sponsorship questions...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Heya, I'm in the process of trying to get my British husband over here and I have some questions about joint-sponsorship.

My Dad will be helping me with the sponsorship and he makes more than enough to qualify, but I haven't had an actual job other than some farm chores for about a year, although I have a job interview tomorrow so hopefully that will be resolved, so I don't come anywhere close to having the necessary funds which is why I need my Dad's help, my question is, I can still sponsor my husband right? or do I need to be making a certain amount of money as well? This is the confusing bit for me. I'm still semi-dependant on my Dad, we'll be living in a cabin on his property so do I count as one of his dependents and how am I supposed to fill out the form in that case? just really confused at the moment, hope someone knows the answer to this..

Thanks!

-Rebecca

August 2011 - Met on Facebook

December 2011- first face-to-face

December 30th 2011 - got married

January 2012 - he returned to UK

February 2012 - I went to UK to visit

May 2012 - came back home to Alaska to start the Visa application process

May 4, 2012 - changed my last name :D

May 31st, 2012 - I-130 sent off! fingers crossed & prayers sent!

event.png

Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you're close in heart...miss you, honey <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, even if you make 0 money, you are still the petitioner and primary sponsor. You still fill out a I-864, and ad tax filings or an explanation why you didn't file.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Yes, even if you make 0 money, you are still the petitioner and primary sponsor. You still fill out a I-864, and ad tax filings or an explanation why you didn't file.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Does my Dad count me as a dependent on his form or just count everyone else, like my mom and other siblings still living at home?

by the way, love your picture! :)

event.png

Love is missing someone whenever you're apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you're close in heart...miss you, honey <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you are a dependant on his tax return, he needs to count you.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

If you are a dependant on his tax return, he needs to count you.

Awesome, thanks for the info! :)

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We're in the exact same boat! We even have British husbands (well, soon to be husband for me). I'm not sure about the other stuff but I know for you to be the primary sponsor for your husband you have to make close to 19,000 dollars a year. I myself am a nanny, so my dad is being the co sponsor for us. Being young and not having much work/work experience kind of puts us in a tougher place than older petitioners. Good luck!

Timeline

We're in the exact same boat! We even have British husbands (well, soon to be husband for me). I'm not sure about the other stuff but I know for you to be the primary sponsor for your husband you have to make close to 19,000 dollars a year. I myself am a nanny, so my dad is being the co sponsor for us. Being young and not having much work/work experience kind of puts us in a tougher place than older petitioners. Good luck!

Wow! what a coincidence! thanks, good luck to you too! :)

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Awesome, thanks for the info! :)

There is not affidavit of support filed with the petition. That happens about six months later. If you have a job by then, you'll have the sponsorship issue covered on your own.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.