toocool

interview june 18...planned travel to US july 3

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No 1 can give you a gaurantee on using Nexus to pass or not activating the k1 if they see it---it is all up to the POE officer!! You could cal up the POE ur going to use, but not likely to matter as you probably wont be seeing that officer when u cross!

Almost no different when ur visiting the USA when the visa process is ongoing---all up to the POE officer

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can always call your border crossing, explain the situation and see what they say. However, I wouldn't put a ton of faith in the answer you get. The person answering your call is likely not going to be the person you talk to at the booth the day you visit. This is really discretionary. One CBP may have no issues with it, while another will refuse you entry. There are absolutely NO guarantees, so if you are looking for that before you try to cross, unfortunately you won't get it, from anywhere. With that said, many people have done this without any issues. Its really up to you. You just need to weigh the risk.

Sure its inconvienent, immigration is all very inconvienent, don't you think? I'm from a border town and felt the same way. There were many before you and will be many after you who experience the same thing. I think you need to decide how important the trip/trips are and go from there. I have never heard of rebooking more than once being an issue I don't think it is. Maybe someone has done it and can confirm. If you're worried about it, you can email Montreal and ask.

Timeline

I was in a similar situation when I was issued my K1. I had to enter the US (by air) for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary in the US (something I did not want to miss) after I got the K1, but before I POE'd. I tried to get an answer on whether this was ok or not, but never got a clear answer. I asked at my K1 interview and he told me it would be no problem, but the 'rules' say no. Basically, imo, the answer is that it depends, which is not a great answer. A K1 is a one-time entry visa, and it is completely up to the immigration officer whether they will allow an exception to it.

In my case, I was let in. The border dude at Pearson, after looking me up on the computer, very deliberately flipped right past the K1 visa in my passport, without looking at it and stamped my passport and let me in. He didn't say a word and neither did I. Because it was such an important event, I was willing to risk it. If he had wanted to activate my K1 I would have had to have turned back and missed my parent's event.

If you do a search, you will also hear of people going back and forth on their K1 with no problems. As Flames said, it all depends on the immigration officer.

I don't really think you're going to get a clear answer. I think you need to weigh the risks and figure out what you want to do. A K1 is a pita that way.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline

I'm guessing that the majority do NOT go back and forth after using the k1!! Was 1 gal that tried to--and the POE officer denied her entry! Lucky her got to start all over again going the CR-1 route. People really have to do their homework and choose wisely when picking a visa! Quicker isn't always better.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

We're on the border too and my daughter will be wanting to cross into the US after her Visa is approved, but before she plans on entering on her K-1. What she did was get an enhanced driver's license, back in March. Now, everytime she crosses, she uses that instead of her passport. This way she won't have to worry about not getting her passport back in time for anything and she also won't have to worry about the border agent questioning her about crossing on the K-1 because they won't even see her passport until she makes that final crossing.

Maybe you could hurry and book to get an enhanced DL now. It only took a couple weeks for her to get it in the mail. It's an idea anyway. Good luck!!

My daughter's physical in TO and interview are both in June.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you can only reschedule an interview ONE time. And now you MUST go.

Can someone confirm Kaulie's reply for me please....Thanks!

Also, double and triple thanks to all my friends on VJ who offer their advice!!!!! You have really made this process so much easier....this process is so much more complicated than one initially thinks!

I'm going to try to see if I can get an answer in writing, so if its a 'yes, you can cross without activating the visa' I could use this as proof to the customs agent should I need to show my passport, get questioned. and turned away.

The last poster, CdnMom, brings something else to mind.....my son who would be entering after me on his K2....would he also have the same issues....that being, he potentially could have a problem crossing the border prior to activating his K2 visa should he cross to shop, have dinner or do an airport run?????

Thanks a kazillion!!!

Timeline

Can someone confirm Kaulie's reply for me please....Thanks!

Also, double and triple thanks to all my friends on VJ who offer their advice!!!!! You have really made this process so much easier....this process is so much more complicated than one initially thinks!

I'm going to try to see if I can get an answer in writing, so if its a 'yes, you can cross without activating the visa' I could use this as proof to the customs agent should I need to show my passport, get questioned. and turned away.

The last poster, CdnMom, brings something else to mind.....my son who would be entering after me on his K2....would he also have the same issues....that being, he potentially could have a problem crossing the border prior to activating his K2 visa should he cross to shop, have dinner or do an airport run?????

Thanks a kazillion!!!

Good luck getting that in writing. And what will that writing mean to a POE officer--absolutely nothing! Sounds good though. Keep in mind you have no right to enter the USA. So push comes to shove, they simply send you back to Canada! Just saying that as some people tend to cope an attitude with POE officials. Guess who wins those arguments?

You may be hard to find anyone that has scheduled their interview more than once, as the vast majority want the interview right away!

Timeline

I would email Montreal and ask about rescheduling more then once. I don't think this is an issue.

Yes, your son faces the same issues as you. He has a visa in his passport with the intent to immigrate to the US.

Flames is right. It doesn't matter if you get it in writing. The decision is completely up to that one CBP agent on the day you cross. The president could write you a letter and it still isnt a guarantee.

Don't you have to 'activate' the K-1 at POE? I can't imagine there being a problem if you aren't entering using the visa.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

Don't you have to 'activate' the K-1 at POE? I can't imagine there being a problem if you aren't entering using the visa.

As it has been noted many times--its up to the POE officer! When he opens up ones passport,(looks at his computer) he is going to see the big visa in ur passport,and he /she may want to process it!! Yes some have been able to enter the USA as a tourist and then come back at a later time and then later use the k1. No guarantees in that though! I'm sure our OP would have no problem, but what I think really matters not,lol

Timeline

So since I am going on an IR-1 I can come and go after I get my passport back with my visa in it without actually doing my poe just like I do now, and then save my visa for when I want to poe?? If so that is great news.

Timeline

So since I am going on an IR-1 I can come and go after I get my passport back with my visa in it without actually doing my poe just like I do now, and then save my visa for when I want to poe?? If so that is great news.

No, you can "activate" ur IR-1 the very first time you goto POE with ur fresh Ir-1 visa! They stamp it and that now acts as your Greencard--until ur greencard arrives in the mail. There are have been some cr-1//ir-1 that goto the border, do the processing and head back to canada that same day! They do that to get the paperwork rolling!! With ur ir-1 its multiple entry----where as the K1 as soon as they use the k1 visa, they can't leave the USA until they get the greencard or get AP, or emergency AP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Flames9_RN for your dedication to this post! You too Hugglebuggles!

I will email MTL to inquire about the number of times one can reschedule.

And, best to be safe than sorry; I'm thinking its better to postpone the interview.

In the past MTL has been very quick on their email responses so I'll do that asap and go from there.

Have a great May 2-4 weekend everyone!!!!

Timeline

Thanks Flames9_RN for your dedication to this post! You too Hugglebuggles!

I will email MTL to inquire about the number of times one can reschedule.

And, best to be safe than sorry; I'm thinking its better to postpone the interview.

In the past MTL has been very quick on their email responses so I'll do that asap and go from there.

Have a great May 2-4 weekend everyone!!!!

Mtl must like you---as most seem to get no response or it takes forever,lol Personally if it were me, I would keep the interview and then try crossing without using the k1!! You have the nexus and like u said, they never check your passport!! But thats easy for me to say,lol

Timeline

No, you can "activate" ur IR-1 the very first time you goto POE with ur fresh Ir-1 visa! They stamp it and that now acts as your Greencard--until ur greencard arrives in the mail. There are have been some cr-1//ir-1 that goto the border, do the processing and head back to canada that same day! They do that to get the paperwork rolling!! With ur ir-1 its multiple entry----where as the K1 as soon as they use the k1 visa, they can't leave the USA until they get the greencard or get AP, or emergency AP

OK, That is good news, however what happens when you have a 3 bedroom house with all your possessions that you want to bring....Should you not make that the first time you POE in order to get everything across with as little hassle as possible?? I mean as far as duty or taxes (or trying to avoid them)..lol.

Also...for instance, say I have a firearm which I want to bring with me, but paper work is not done yet with the atf, would I be hassled if I went over, came back and then tried to reenter at a later date in order to bring it back to the US? I know, I just threw another wrench..or firearm into the senario... :unsure:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.