toocool

interview june 18...planned travel to US july 3

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I finally got my act together....house is almost ready for listing....school year is almost a wrap.....(man, this is a BIG job!) so I booked the interview (yahoo!).....but date pickin's were slim....May 31st (too soon (I want to see my fam doc for vaccination update)) and June 18th were the first dates available....so I grabbed the 18th.

But I have travel to see the man on July 3rd! I can fly out as I have Nexus but I need my passport to return!!!

I'm really putting all eggs in one basket and expecting to have my passport/visa back by July 3rd....am I pushing it????? Thinking 2 weeks should suffice....but we all are familiar with Murphy's Law. I really wanted something the previous week.....and am thinking about rescheduling with hopes that a date for this week (being June 11) is released. Going to book the medicals tomorrow....and not thinking securing a date for this will be difficult since they do medicals in TO every Mon Tues and Wed.

Can anyone give insights as to timelines? I saw the timeline reference tracker for MTL passport/visa returns but I'm leery of relying on that.

Again, thanks everyone!

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I finally got my act together....house is almost ready for listing....school year is almost a wrap.....(man, this is a BIG job!) so I booked the interview (yahoo!).....but date pickin's were slim....May 31st (too soon (I want to see my fam doc for vaccination update)) and June 18th were the first dates available....so I grabbed the 18th.

But I have travel to see the man on July 3rd! I can fly out as I have Nexus but I need my passport to return!!!

I'm really putting all eggs in one basket and expecting to have my passport/visa back by July 3rd....am I pushing it????? Thinking 2 weeks should suffice....but we all are familiar with Murphy's Law. I really wanted something the previous week.....and am thinking about rescheduling with hopes that a date for this week (being June 11) is released. Going to book the medicals tomorrow....and not thinking securing a date for this will be difficult since they do medicals in TO every Mon Tues and Wed.

Can anyone give insights as to timelines? I saw the timeline reference tracker for MTL passport/visa returns but I'm leery of relying on that.

Again, thanks everyone!

I think you can only reschedule an interview ONE time. And now you MUST go.

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Again, thanks everyone!

u say travel to see the man---you do realize (im sure u do) that the k1 is a 1 time entry?? No 1 can really say on how fats ur passport.visa will be mailed out. Sometimes they are fast at mailing them out, sometimes not!! Summer season is upon us and that brings a few things---summer Holidays AND people being posted out and in--which slows things!!! Cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you can only reschedule an interview ONE time. And now you MUST go.

Remember this is country specific.

Anyways to the OP - it could work out but it might be close. I had just about the same amount of time as you did to get my K-1 back before my leave date. Mine almost didn't work out but I got my passport back JUST in time to pick up my mover truck and leave the day we had planned.

Just a heads up - July 3 traveling is a freaking zoo!!!! last min rush travelers for July 4th celebrations.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Remember this is country specific.

Anyways to the OP - it could work out but it might be close. I had just about the same amount of time as you did to get my K-1 back before my leave date. Mine almost didn't work out but I got my passport back JUST in time to pick up my mover truck and leave the day we had planned.

Just a heads up - July 3 traveling is a freaking zoo!!!! last min rush travelers for July 4th celebrations.

Thanks for your words of wisdom Inky and Flames9_RN.....but the July 3 trip isn't for my POE....as I understand you are permitted to venture into the US after your visa has been issued. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Since I'll be flying out of YYZ...I'll be using Nexus and there will be no face to face with a customs officer. There won't be an issue flying out of Reno as there is no customs there....and once on Canadian soil again at YYZ, I'll be using Nexus again to return. So, unless Nexus red flags me where sirens and whistles blow from the computerized kiosok, no one will even be seeing that there is a K1 visa inside my passport. Of course, should I have to use my passport, do I not have the right to declare this is NOT my POE but a visit while I wrap things up in Canada and showing proof I have ties to Canada...eg upcoming doctors appt, house for sale, etc?

As for travelling on the 3rd...yah, it can be a zoo but we're both used to travelling on holidays...this is the only time we can see each other!!! Argh, but those days will be gone once were together....I long to celebrate our birthdays together...and other holidays like Christmas AND New Years at the same time!! Ahh, it will be so nice...:yes:

Timeline

Thanks for your words of wisdom Inky and Flames9_RN.....but the July 3 trip isn't for my POE....as I understand you are permitted to venture into the US after your visa has been issued. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Since I'll be flying out of YYZ...I'll be using Nexus and there will be no face to face with a customs officer. There won't be an issue flying out of Reno as there is no customs there....and once on Canadian soil again at YYZ, I'll be using Nexus again to return. So, unless Nexus red flags me where sirens and whistles blow from the computerized kiosok, no one will even be seeing that there is a K1 visa inside my passport. Of course, should I have to use my passport, do I not have the right to declare this is NOT my POE but a visit while I wrap things up in Canada and showing proof I have ties to Canada...eg upcoming doctors appt, house for sale, etc?

As for travelling on the 3rd...yah, it can be a zoo but we're both used to travelling on holidays...this is the only time we can see each other!!! Argh, but those days will be gone once were together....I long to celebrate our birthdays together...and other holidays like Christmas AND New Years at the same time!! Ahh, it will be so nice...:yes:

its up to the POE officer. Yes some have been successful, but if you do have to see a POE officer and he opens up the passport he is going to see it and its all up to him!! He may give you the option of using it --or turn back! Keep in mind only a USA citizen has a RIGHT to enter the USA. Common sense says that ur going to return and use the k1, but common sense isnt always used,lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Personally, I'd just wait to schedule an interview until AFTER you return from your trip in July to avoid any border crossing issues. Even if you haev NEXUS, who knows if you'll get pulled aside and then you're at the discretion of the officer. Too many what ifs for me to handle. If you don't plan to move and can wait until after your trip, that would be a good option with the least bit of risk involved.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Thinking now from everyone's comments that I should reschedule the interview...ahhhh!

But to vent!!!! Personally, on a side note.....I think this is kind of crappy especially if you live in a border town and cross often to go over for dinner, go shopping or do the airport drop off and pick up....and essentially that means should he fly here to visit me he cannot fly into Buffalo as I would risk activating my POE to get him from the airport....he'd have to fly into Toronto which we all know is bigger bucks!!

But, I have 2 questions....

1) Is there anywhere I can call or write or email to get confirmation on this?

2) If I do reschedule this interview, it would need to be postponed until Sept. (as I have August plans to travel to the US as well).... Do they offer interview dates that far in advance? I recall someone in this post saying you can only reschedule once....and if dates are not offered that far in advance then how do I go about rescheduling for a September date? ....I can't let the June 18th lapse?????

Argh!!! This is not cool!!!

Timeline

You have really good questions. I wish I would know how to help you with some info, but I can't. I will send good vibration, so somebody can giver you some input. Good luck !

Cam & Ellie

Thinking now from everyone's comments that I should reschedule the interview...ahhhh!

But to vent!!!! Personally, on a side note.....I think this is kind of crappy especially if you live in a border town and cross often to go over for dinner, go shopping or do the airport drop off and pick up....and essentially that means should he fly here to visit me he cannot fly into Buffalo as I would risk activating my POE to get him from the airport....he'd have to fly into Toronto which we all know is bigger bucks!!

He COULD fly to Buffalo and get a cab or shuttle to Niagara Falls. My (now) husband has done that when we went to Niagara Falls last summer for a weekend after I got my K1 (just wasn't moving until the fall). I think it cost him like $20 (he took a cab service). So if you were going to have him come visit before your move, that is an option.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Timeline

Wow, I totally feel for you. I am unsure about the whole entry thing after getting a visa too. And I do understand how "convenient" it is in a border city because we go over almost every weekend. As for timelines you could take a look at mine if you like. We got our interview appt via email last Friday and it is scheduled for June 20th. I called T.O. for the medical on Monday morning and finally they returned my call today. We have our medicals set for June 11th.

Now the fun begins...Listing the house by this weekend, making plans to go to TX and stay about a week to find a place to rent. Then come back and do these appointments. Hope the house sells fast too.

My wife is the USC, but also holds CDN citizenship and up until now she has never had US residency, so we have to find somewhere to call home in the US before we get to MTL.

It almost seems like it has been harder for us as we have NO ONE in the US to help with any of this.

I am not going to risk it..As long as our interview goes fine I will wait until we are ready to POE and enter the US at that time. I can always send the wife over by herself to do our weekly shopping and gas.

Timeline

Wow, I totally feel for you. I am unsure about the whole entry thing after getting a visa too. And I do understand how "convenient" it is in a border city because we go over almost every weekend. As for timelines you could take a look at mine if you like. We got our interview appt via email last Friday and it is scheduled for June 20th. I called T.O. for the medical on Monday morning and finally they returned my call today. We have our medicals set for June 11th.

Now the fun begins...Listing the house by this weekend, making plans to go to TX and stay about a week to find a place to rent. Then come back and do these appointments. Hope the house sells fast too.

My wife is the USC, but also holds CDN citizenship and up until now she has never had US residency, so we have to find somewhere to call home in the US before we get to MTL.

It almost seems like it has been harder for us as we have NO ONE in the US to help with any of this.

I am not going to risk it..As long as our interview goes fine I will wait until we are ready to POE and enter the US at that time. I can always send the wife over by herself to do our weekly shopping and gas.

Lot different situation for you--as your have a Cr-1 or IR-1--u can enter the USA and leave anytime you wish(except for lengthy periods)a k1 can't leave the USA until they get the greencard or apply for AP.

The biggest thing in ur favor is the Nexus pass. Why not try it, but thats easy for me to say as the outcome does not affect me. I'm sure with the July 4th being Holidays, border guards may be a bit more on their toes!

Timeline

Hey Flames nice to see you around..."You probably remember me cuz I was the one last year saying how it would be easier for us to just load up and pretend we were going of to shop and just decided to stay....lol

Glad we decided to do things the right way, as we are almost done.

I am going to have the IR-1...Once I get my passport back after the interview can I still go back and forth for a while without making it a permanent POE? I thought it would be considered my POE the very next time I enter the US and I would have to wait until I get my green card until I could come back to Canada?

Initially I would like to be able to keep making our normal weekly shopping trips over before we actually load up the u-haul and be gone for good.

Or is it up to the discretion of the CBP I assume?

Hey Flames nice to see you around..."You probably remember me cuz I was the one last year saying how it would be easier for us to just load up and pretend we were going of to shop and just decided to stay....lol

Glad we decided to do things the right way, as we are almost done.

I am going to have the IR-1...Once I get my passport back after the interview can I still go back and forth for a while without making it a permanent POE? I thought it would be considered my POE the very next time I enter the US and I would have to wait until I get my green card until I could come back to Canada?

Initially I would like to be able to keep making our normal weekly shopping trips over before we actually load up the u-haul and be gone for good.

Or is it up to the discretion of the CBP I assume?

You won't have to wait til you have your green card to travel. Once you have your visa, they'll stamp it at the POE, and that stamp along with your visa will effectively be the same as a Green Card and will be valid for one year. So you'll be free to come and go as you please prior to receiving the actual card. That's one of the benefits of CR-1/IR-1.

It's up to the CBP whether or not they "use" your Visa before you intend to move. I actually tried to "use" (can't think of a better word) my visa a week or two before I moved to save time at the border on the day of the move. I wasn't allowed because I wasn't moving that day (but they still let me in to the US as a visitor). Other people have done what I tried to do without an issue. Of course, if the CBP decides to "use" your visa on any of your trips before you move, you'll have to give them an address to send your green card to at that time, so be sure you at least have that sorted out before you enter the US after you get your visa.

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Timeline

Hey everyone...I'm happy for GitmeOuttaHere and all but I'm still looking for answers to my situation!!!!

Can we get back on track?

Nexus might be safe but is it????? I don't want mights!

I've used it crossing by land and air in Toronto and Peace Bridge loads of times (and so has he with and without me)....never a problem....in fact sometimes, I'm just waved on. But now that I'm further into the process will it be safe for me to use without activating the K!? Is Nexus linked with USCIS?

And, back to my 2 questions:

1) Is there anywhere I can call or write or email to get confirmation on this?

2) If I do reschedule this interview, it would need to be postponed until Sept. (as I have August plans to travel to the US as well).... Do they offer interview dates that far in advance? I recall someone in this post saying you can only reschedule once....and if dates are not offered that far in advance then how do I go about rescheduling for a September date? ....I can't let the June 18th lapse?????

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.